C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What X-Pipe will fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran the Bassani off-road X-pipe on my 2000 for a year.
I can't recall the part number, but it's on their web site.
Basically, it replaces the front part of the H-pipe, which has the cats.
It bolts right on to the manifolds and replaces the cats, but does not go all the way back to the over-axle pipes. Most other X-pipes do just the opposite, they attach behind the cats, and attach to the over-axle pipes at the flanges.
So, with the Bassani, you must cut off the rear half of your h-pipe and use it, or buy a typical x-pipe and attach it to the Bassani off-road X-pipe. Then you have two x-pipes and a lot of money spent.
So, as suggested above, just use your rear h-pipe section.

Performance-wise, the no-cat Bassani gave 12 verified HP on the dyno
(+- the dyno variations on any given day) but it lost about 12 lb-ft of Torque in the mid-range, which I could deffinitely feel.
The sound through my Ti mufflers was awesome, but unfortunately it popped like firecrackers going off if I wound it up and let it coast down.
It also had a raspy hiss inside the car.
It smelled like a refinery, and was obviously not smog legal.
I burned out on the smell and the very loud popping, and put the stock H-pipe back on. I put a Z06 intake manifold on and got the 12 HP and the 12 torque back. (again dyno verified).

In MHO there are much better ways to get 10-12 HP on a world-class expensive performance car than deleting the cats. And the midrange torque loss and smell is just unacceptable.

Been there done that, didn't like it,
DG
Old 06-18-2008, 05:40 PM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98vettedave
Obviously you don't know your *** from a hole in the ground. The Bassani X pipe is a bolt on after the cats - it replaces the H pipe. If you read my sig - I run a Bassani X pipe with straight custom pipes running from my SLP tuned headers. So you run a X pipe and a H pipe ?? I know a lot of bench racers - unfortunately your not even to that level yet!!

Maybe you should do some more research or call Bassani before making yourself look like a total idiot. Bassani sells an X-pipe for the sole purpose of removing the cats and it bolts right up to stock manifolds.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 PM
casslaw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More air in = more air out..... Stock manifolds eliminate the possibility of more air out so get over yourself, that's what LT's are for, look into them, they work cause they "get more air out"
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IBUID40
Wow ok you are one of those know it alls i guess.

Headers systems with cat deletes will make more power. You need to brush up on you research skills I would say. There is nothing "old school" about the faster you get air in and out the more power you will have. It is real world facts. You choke your air intake and find out what happens ok?
Just a guy who doesn't like to see borderline bad advice give out. Go a head and name call, don't care. Get over yourself. I call B.S. when I see it on the forum here to keep the forum a good information resource. You are applying HP gains from completely different engines and bolt on’s than the OP has, and your not getting more air in or out with an x-pipe and very little from a cat delete. Yes, a moded Vette with LT headers can see some HP increase by removing the cats, but not a lot. The higher HP engine it is, the more they may get, but even a high HP engine will not get a lot. He has STOCK manifolds, so he will get LESS. He also has a 2000 coupe which comes with a LS1 intake, which is not a great intake. If they haven't changed it, guess what, they will get even LESS of an increase.

A LT system that has a well designed x-pipe can see a couple or more of HP. But an x-pipe by itself will do nothing for a STOCK manifold except change the sound. Note that a miss-matched, or not well designed, x-pipe can reduce the HP from a set of LT's. Do a lot of reading and you will see stories around here of that happening.

I just went and googled Bassani x-pipe, its interesting. For the OP to realize the mythical 4-6 hp (advertised on one website, and not from Bassani) he would have to either cut up his stock H pipe or buy an additional piece that would double his costs, i.e >$550 before shipping. Either way he would be doing both x-pipe and removing cats, which is what he wanted, but he would be cutting or paying someone else to cut and thats not what he wanted. For all of this cost and effort, whats the payoff? On Bassani's site it just says 'performance gain', no numbers. One site did have HP numbers, 4-6 and thats for a coupe which the OP has.

For that effort and money they would be half way to a good LT system that would get him REAL, and verified by many, HP. If you haven't tried LT headers, you are missing out on what is a real gain.

Or, if they have not done a CAI and LS6 intake, they could do that with the money and again have a LOT more HP and sound than just an x-pipe and cat delete.

To the OP, IMO save your money and get something worth while. I see you are pretty new to the Vette comunity, take everything with a grain of salt until you find people who's opinion you trust. I'm still pretty new to the mod game, but I had to say B.S. on this one, it will cost you money and get very very little in return IMO. However, if you never plan to modify your Vette beyond what it is now, then a x-pipe can change the sound for better for some people.

Last edited by MattB; 06-18-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 98vettedave
Obviously you don't know your *** from a hole in the ground. The Bassani X pipe is a bolt on after the cats - it replaces the H pipe. If you read my sig - I run a Bassani X pipe with straight custom pipes running from my SLP tuned headers. So you run a X pipe and a H pipe ?? I know a lot of bench racers - unfortunately your not even to that level yet!!
IT's both

did you even look at the link with the pic?

You can replace your cats with a cross over pipe and your h-pipe also
Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by casslaw
More air in = more air out..... Stock manifolds eliminate the possibility of more air out so get over yourself, that's what LT's are for, look into them, they work cause they "get more air out"
you are preaching to the choir

Last edited by Got uid0; 06-18-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by MattB
Just a guy who doesn't like to see borderline bad advice give out. Go a head and name call, don't care. Get over yourself. I call B.S. when I see it on the forum here to keep the forum a good information resource. You are applying HP gains from completely different engines and bolt on’s than the OP has, and your not getting more air in or out with an x-pipe and very little from a cat delete. Yes, a moded Vette with LT headers can see some HP increase by removing the cats, but not a lot. The higher HP engine it is, the more they may get, but even a high HP engine will not get a lot. He has STOCK manifolds, so he will get LESS. He also has a 2000 coupe which comes with a LS1 intake, which is not a great intake. If they haven't changed it, guess what, they will get even LESS of an increase.

A LT system that has a well designed x-pipe can see a couple or more of HP. But an x-pipe by itself will do nothing for a STOCK manifold except change the sound. Note that a miss-matched, or not well designed, x-pipe can reduce the HP from a set of LT's. Do a lot of reading and you will see stories around here of that happening.

I just went and googled Bassani x-pipe, its interesting. For the OP to realize the mythical 4-6 hp (advertised on one website, and not from Bassani) he would have to either cut up his stock H pipe or buy an additional piece that would double his costs, i.e >$550 before shipping. Either way he would be doing both x-pipe and removing cats, which is what he wanted, but he would be cutting or paying someone else to cut and thats not what he wanted. For all of this cost and effort, whats the payoff? On Bassani's site it just says 'performance gain', no numbers. One site did have HP numbers, 4-6 and thats for a coupe which the OP has.

For that effort and money they would be half way to a good LT system that would get him REAL, and verified by many, HP. If you haven't tried LT headers, you are missing out on what is a real gain.

Or, if they have not done a CAI and LS6 intake, they could do that with the money and again have a LOT more HP and sound than just an x-pipe and cat delete.

To the OP, IMO save your money and get something worth while. I see you are pretty new to the Vette comunity, take everything with a grain of salt until you find people who's opinion you trust. I'm still pretty new to the mod game, but I had to say B.S. on this one, it will cost you money and get very very little in return IMO. However, if you never plan to modify your Vette beyond what it is now, then a x-pipe can change the sound for better for some people.
I agree money spent is better spent on headers than cat delete and xpipe however an xpipe while it does change tone does add some flow.

When you are doing drag racing you want every possible increase combo you can get. If you want the seat of the pants increase well you will not feel it in the butt-o-meter with just a x-pipe.

Deleting cats will definitely give the you the psychological power add with the sound and torque change. It however is a nightmare to live with. I would not recommend it but your debate was saying no gains at all on deleting cats or adding an x pipe which is not accurate and you just like me enjoy learning and sharing info so lets not get caught up in the silly internet warrior crap.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My R/T x-pipe is bolted onto the stock manifolds. The R/T cats are a separate slipon piece. The dynograph here is a hard to read one off the R/T website where the hiflow cats and catback added 16hp to a stock F body. Take it for what it's worth since it is off their site.
I have always understood that there was negligible power gains from catbacks but if you search for dyno sheets on this board I think the evidence supports something, and the same for hi flo cats. I am not sure the x pipe does anything for a stockish motor except change the sound but others have said a few hp.
Headers, CAI, hi flo cats and a good dyno tune. Then post your dyno sheet so we can use it to support us in arguements PS yes to no cat delete. Even the hi flos kick up the volume a lot.
Attached Images   

Last edited by nuck; 06-23-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: What X-Pipe will fit?