C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need o2 sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 PM
justbrad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need o2 sensor help

i have 02 with long tube headers my front 02 sensor stopped working or only worls when it wants to i assume its connected to my air fuel meter cause sometimes it works sometimes not.napa tells me I need a 02 sensor for headers is this true?if so where do I find one or is parts guy wrong
Old 02-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by justbrad
i have 02 with long tube headers my front 02 sensor stopped working or only worls when it wants to i assume its connected to my air fuel meter cause sometimes it works sometimes not.napa tells me I need a 02 sensor for headers is this true?if so where do I find one or is parts guy wrong
Having a tough time understanding your issue.. IF,, you have a AFR Gage in your car,, you have a WIDE BAND O2 sensor installed.

The standard C5 O2 sensor will NOT support a wide band gage.

SO, Is your wide band meter intermittent? Or,,,,, are you getting DTCs for the OEM style O2 sensor issue??

BC
Old 02-06-2016, 10:03 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Not entirely sure what you're saying either, but if you have headers with one bung per side, the factory O2 sensors should be good.
Edit; how do you know it doesn't work, codes?

Last edited by grantv; 02-06-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

My afr was intermittent and just today I had it up on a lift and found my mechanic ran the wire from it behind the tunnel heat shield and it was melted to the shield so I had to reinsulate it and wrap it in some heat resistant tape. You may have a similar issue. This is a wideband sensor located where one of my back o2 sensors were.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:32 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

LT headers open up a whole new can of worms---That's why they are illegal in most states
Reason being is that with LT's the front 02 bungs can be moved further aft as much as 3 ft---This re-location causes the 02's to not read correctly at P/T and not heat up properly--There is NO 100% fix for this issue---However you can make it much better by installing rear 02's onto the front locations (as the rear 02's are far more sensitive)
2ndly a tuner can LOWER the 02 switching points somewhat to compensate for the further back locations------making them oscillate at a much lower millivolts level---(the lower the millivolts average the LEANER the P/T AFR )

Get notified of new replies

To need o2 sensor help

Quick Reply: need o2 sensor help