C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***97-02 C5 billet dual Walbro pump hanger.. The final answer for proper fueling**

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Wow, this is looking really nice and will this hook up to the 97-98 fuel lines and looking forward to the final product
Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 PM
0Will at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flynbludream
What? Wheres the corvette tax? Great system. I might upgrade mine based on this. I have to echo a previous post saying you should put a boost referenced switch to kick in the second pump. IMO 90+% of the C5's that will be using something like this will be FI cars.
The full system will have the same boost ref. regulator that we have been using. Aeromotive 13101 or 13109. We run this setup all day long on 1500HP Vipers and Supras. If enough people really want the second pump to only kick on at a certain time (boost/RPM) then we will make it for you. However we typically run all the pumps all the time.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Will at RSI
The full system will have the same boost ref. regulator that we have been using. Aeromotive 13101 or 13109. We run this setup all day long on 1500HP Vipers and Supras. If enough people really want the second pump to only kick on at a certain time (boost/RPM) then we will make it for you. However we typically run all the pumps all the time.
I don't really care if they both run all of the time or not, if it won't cause the fuel to heat up or any other problems. It will be a very rare occurrence that I woul really need two pumps going at the same time since my car will be driven on the street.

I could see the two pumps running all of the time in a race application but not really in a street application.

You really don't need that much fuel to cruise around under most conditions until you let it rip.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:20 AM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note to everyone out there. I know there is a common theory that running multiple pumps and pushing extra fuel around will cause problems due to the fuel heating. For a few years now we have been using triple pumps in Vipers and quad pumps in supras. We have even gone to the extent of probing the fuel temp in these setups. We have never experienced any issues with fuel heating.

We should have the full system ready before Christmas.
Someone here did a test on this, and did find that in fact the fuel will heat up running dual pumps. Not sure which set-up that was or the details. So that may be where it has come from. I will se if i saved that thread.
Robert
Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56@RNS
Someone here did a test on this, and did find that in fact the fuel will heat up running dual pumps. Not sure which set-up that was or the details. So that may be where it has come from. I will se if i saved that thread.
Robert
That is why you must have second pump come on either by RPM or by hobb switch.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Eric at RSI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boost Master
That is why you must have second pump come on either by RPM or by hobb switch.
Robert and I are on the same wavelength. You can configure the system to run one pump at a time or run the twins full time. Either way it scoots.

Eric
Old 11-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Robert
Is this the testing you're referring to?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...teresting.html
Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 PM
0Will at RSI
Former Vendor

Robert
I would love to see the actual information on this. We have done first hand testing on these multipump setups. Even the 4 walbros we use in the supra caused less variation in temperature than typical weather changes.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Thickraybans
Racer

I would love to see the actual information on this. We have done first hand testing on these multipump setups. Even the 4 walbros we use in the supra caused less variation in temperature than typical weather changes.
The only intank pump I've had heat problems with is Aeromotive.I've also used up to 4 walbros intank without problems,you just need to make sure you don't skimp on the guage of the wiring.I also like the Walbro pumps because they have internal check valves so you can "T" them together into one line without having back flow problems.

This is a great looking set up,a full kit with a hobbs switch would be on my must have list
Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Thickraybans
Racer

Oh,and this is the setup I ran on my old turbo car.Thought it would look good in a fuel pump **** thread.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link above is what I was thinking of. It just seems that with one pump off we would be pumping less fuel and returning less fuel and thus a slower procedure to heat the fuel? I think eventually it probably will get to the same in-tank temperature whether it's one or two pumps running. Anyway, for me, just having it running un-needed is enough to have mine armed with an rpm SW and thus saving wear and tear, and maybe keeping the fuel a little cooler at a day of drag racing. But you guy's have that option covered, running one or both.
Robert
Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 PM
0Will at RSI
Former Vendor

The link above is what I was thinking of. It just seems that with one pump off we would be pumping less fuel and returning less fuel and thus a slower procedure to heat the fuel? I think eventually it probably will get to the same in-tank temperature whether it's one or two pumps running. Anyway, for me, just having it running un-needed is enough to have mine armed with an rpm SW and thus saving wear and tear, and maybe keeping the fuel a little cooler at a day of drag racing. But you guy's have that option covered, running one or both.
Robert
The person that posted that info did a great job of gathering data. The part that I felt was inconclusive was how the fuel was gaining heat. I think that the assumption was made that the pump was causing the problem but I am really wondering if the fuel running through the rails and gaining heat would be causing it. I think I might run one of our quad pump setups for a few hours on a car that isnt running and gather some data on the temperature of the fuel.

Also we can possibly build some kind of fuel cooling system to go along with it.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

The person that posted that info did a great job of gathering data. The part that I felt was inconclusive was how the fuel was gaining heat. I think that the assumption was made that the pump was causing the problem but I am really wondering if the fuel running through the rails and gaining heat would be causing it. I think I might run one of our quad pump setups for a few hours on a car that isnt running and gather some data on the temperature of the fuel.
I have problems with the output from just a single Walbro going down after extended running, even with no fuel being returned from the rails, so in my case, the rails wouldn't be the source of the heat.

The same guy I linked to above also did a test with only one pump running versus two, and the fuel tank temps dropped 50 degrees without the secondary pump running full time.

That link is HERE
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Since I have fueling issues with my dual walboro pumps when I go near 800rwhp, what are my options?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM
0Will at RSI
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Since I have fueling issues with my dual walboro pumps when I go near 800rwhp, what are my options?
Sounds more like a flow problem than a pump issue. Are you using stock lines? Injectors? Rails? PM me a little more info on your setup.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM
0Mike@G-Force
Former Vendor

Nice looking piece!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
lionelc5
Instructor

All I want to know is when are you going to build one for all of us with 03 and 04s! I am in need of a fuel upgrade inthe worst way.

LionelC

Get notified of new replies

To ***97-02 C5 billet dual Walbro pump hanger.. The final answer for proper fueling**

Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
0Will at RSI
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lionelc5
All I want to know is when are you going to build one for all of us with 03 and 04s! I am in need of a fuel upgrade inthe worst way.

LionelC
We will start working on it right after the complete kit for the C5 is done. It shouldnt take us long.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Eric at RSI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drewstein

Sounds more like a flow problem than a pump issue. Are you using stock lines? Injectors? Rails? PM me a little more info on your setup.
I'm in agreement with Will. Twin intank 255L/hr pumps will flow plenty for 800rwhp so the bottleneck much be either in the lines, rails, injectors, or somewhere in between. What's your setup presently?

Eric
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Eric at RSI
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelc5

LionelC
We will start working on it right after the complete kit for the C5 is done. It shouldnt take us long.
Exactly. The C5 kits are nearly ready to go, and after that we're going to tackle the 03-04 C5's and then onto the C6.

Thanks!

Eric

Quick Reply: ***97-02 C5 billet dual Walbro pump hanger.. The final answer for proper fueling**