C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise? Throw out bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
donkelso
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise? Throw out bearing?

I have a 2000 C5 conv with an MN6 with 45K miles. The car has developed a grinding noise over the last couple of months that I hear most noticeable when taking off in first gear. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car, but I only notice it when taking off. I thought it might be an exhaust rattle, but all seems tight. The clutch engages fine with no slippage and transmission shifts fine. I put the car up on stands and when turning the rear wheels by hand, their is no abnormal noise or play in the rear end, CVs or wheel bearings that I can feel. All fluid levels are normal and clean in diff and trans. I run synthetic ATF in the trans and synthetic mobile 1 75W-90 in the rear end with friction modifier. I am beginning to suspect it may be the throw out bearing. What is the best way to troubleshoot this and prove or rule out the throw out bearing. Appreciate advice. thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by donkelso
I have a 2000 C5 conv with an MN6 with 45K miles. The car has developed a grinding noise over the last couple of months that I hear most noticeable when taking off in first gear. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car, but I only notice it when taking off. I thought it might be an exhaust rattle, but all seems tight. The clutch engages fine with no slippage and transmission shifts fine. I put the car up on stands and when turning the rear wheels by hand, their is no abnormal noise or play in the rear end, CVs or wheel bearings that I can feel. All fluid levels are normal and clean in diff and trans. I run synthetic ATF in the trans and synthetic mobile 1 75W-90 in the rear end with friction modifier. I am beginning to suspect it may be the throw out bearing. What is the best way to troubleshoot this and prove or rule out the throw out bearing. Appreciate advice. thanks.
What makes you think it's the throwout bearing? I'd be leaning toward the pilot bearing......
Old 12-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Don

When you take off, experiment with pressure on the clutch peddle. See if riding the clutch a little or letting the clutch out quickly changes the noise.

What does it sound like out of gear with the clutch out and clutch in??

Bill
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 PM
donkelso
Instructor

Bill,
There is no unusual noise when engaging and disengaging the cluth with the trans in neutral. Also, when taking off slowly, I don't notice any noise, so it is definitely rpm affected.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Targa98
Instructor

hmmmm, sounds similar to what my car does. Does it sound like a loud "errrp"? like 18 wheeler air brakes almost?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have the same noise Is it worse when the car is cold? Does it go away after a few starts from 1st? Stock clutch or aftermarket? Maybe it's the rivets holding the clutch disk together are contacting the flywheel when you engage the clutch. That's what I think is my problem, but I don't want to believe it.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Targa98
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
I think I have the same noise Is it worse when the car is cold? Does it go away after a few starts from 1st? Stock clutch or aftermarket? Maybe it's the rivets holding the clutch disk together are contacting the flywheel when you engage the clutch. That's what I think is my problem, but I don't want to believe it.
Mine is worse when it is cold but never goes away totally. Just becomes less sensitive. When it is cold it it almost totally unavoidable. Man, it's frustrating. I will be tearing into it when I am motivated enough....
Old 06-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Cahill2000
7th Gear

Default Similar noise

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Don

When you take off, experiment with pressure on the clutch peddle. See if riding the clutch a little or letting the clutch out quickly changes the noise.

What does it sound like out of gear with the clutch out and clutch in??

Bill
I have an almost "ringing" (high pitched metal rattling) noise coming from the rear while in (I think) any gear, accelerating at low RPMs. I don't notice the noise while using the clutch, only while in gear. Any suggestions what it may be?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you jack one rear tire off the groundm trans in "N" and try to spin that jacked up wheel, explain what you feel. Should be around 50-60 ft/lbs to break it free and then it turns smooth. Jack the other side and repeat.

Post results.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Grinding noise? Throw out bearing?

Quick Reply: Grinding noise? Throw out bearing?