C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX headers..Can't believe I'm starting this thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Novakain1970
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K RIPPER
813C3 Suggest you read ENTIRE post with attention to detail,then make comments that are accurate.I am not interested in a pizzing contest so lets start fresh.I actually have sentiments exactly like you most certainly want to buy and help my neighbor down the street or Ohio or anywhere else to help my country but times change and as I said in a prior post it is now a world economy we don't shop in the little hardware store on Main St.we go to Home Depot at the strip mall.The world is the store and free enterprise is king .Free enterprise is what made America great and what caused the fall of the U.S.S.R.. I don't buy strictly on the basis of country of orgin but on the basis of quality and price and I WILL and HAVE compromised on both to buy American made.We have to compete on the world stage, competition is good will make for a better less expensive product.Chevy Ford and Chrysler sat on their azzes while Toyota and Honda were scrambling around like a busy ant colony winning over the American public (no I'm not waving the Honda or Toyota flag) (nor have I ever owned a foreign car) well guess what Toyota is #1 in the US what did it do to Chevys? COMPETITION has made them better, better trhan they have ever been from the cracked cap connecting rods to the five computers and 90 micro processors and the coil on plug ignition system.Want to help our country get all the facts learn the rules and play the game on the world stage.To get back to the original OP OBX headers are they better/ not yet, would I buy ,probably yes quality is down but from input from other forum members only slightly but the price difference is so large it makes sense plus as I stated prior the money left over I can spend on additional mods and if possible U.S.A. made that have quality and price

well said
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
Too Funny !!!!
is that why asians appear thinner than americans??
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Got uid0
No wonder the pride of the country is out the window.

Too many young people with out pride of their country are here. It seems they simply want to own what they always wanted right now. They no longer believe in working hard for anything and if someone is going to make it happen for them that is all that matters to them they wont think twice of the consequences in the long run.

Once the corvette became "cheaper" generation Y invaded.

I dont know about anybody else but the Corvette once was a status symbol of pride of hard work. I am beginning to see the change. Less and less wave or respect each other for their achievements.

Good luck noobs you are going to need it.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Nepthalim
Racer

I'm still waiting for those that have owned (not hearsay) these OBX headers to explain how they were inferior.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Ragresen
Instructor

I had OBX pipes for a turbo system on another car a while back. Only issues I had with them was that the down pipe from the turbo had to have changes made to it and that the pipes while nice and polished were very thin walled. The Welds were very good and over all fitment was great. Now understand this was for a different car completely and not my Z06, but Atleast I feel it is constructive thoughts on OBX pipes.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 PM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

Well I bought a set and will give a review when they arrive and one during and after installation .
Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

nobody who owns them will say they are inferior. I have compared these side by side w/ my dynamaxx headers and have seen every manufacturer under the sun in my mustang days and these are top notch. Welds, materials, fit and finish are better than many others. I've probably dealt w/ 7 different manufactures of long tubes now. Hooker, hedman, Mac, dynamaxx, etc.

Dave
Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by T_Vert
nobody who owns them will say they are inferior. I have compared these side by side w/ my dynamaxx headers and have seen every manufacturer under the sun in my mustang days and these are top notch. Welds, materials, fit and finish are better than many others. I've probably dealt w/ 7 different manufactures of long tubes now. Hooker, hedman, Mac, dynamaxx, etc.

Dave
Those are all crappy versions tho

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

For those serious about maximizing performance....price, and ease of installation are probably the LAST two variables that should be considered.

How about primary diameter?
Primary same dia throughout or stepped? two steps? Length between steps?
Primary overall length?
Are the primaries of equal length?
Tri-Y or 4>1?
Collector design?
Collector length?
Integration with X-pipe?
Distance from collector outlet to X-pipe?
Midsection tube dia?
Midsection dia the same or stepped?
Material?
Coating?
Flange thickness?
Clamp style/sealing integrity?
Can be built w/o AIR flanges?

Ask half the people that posted in this thread for a good cam recommendation....and you will hear that an "off the shelf" one is not good enough, you NEED a custom one ground to your exact specs.
But yet the worksheet for proper header design might be even more thorough than that for a cam.

Yeah,the popular opinion will likely forever remain, "they're all just long tubes. Buy the cheap ones that fit good".

Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

I'd love to see a dyno comparison of headers. Too bad no-one has done one. I love the LG setups, but big money. We'll see.

Jason
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

Well everyone has a opinion to these headers and that is fine , but the money saved will allow for me to get a tune and a tank of fuel with cash to spare ... I did not get the money to buy this car from being foolish with my money ! I'am certain that they will be just fine for me and if not I stand to be corrected !

Last edited by ArkansasZ06; 04-02-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

well I gained zero et or MPH going from dynamaxx to the cheap china version. Very similar D/A as well as half track MPH.

Dave
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by T_Vert
well I gained zero et or MPH going from dynamaxx to the cheap china version. Very similar D/A as well as half track MPH.

Dave
why go from dynamaxx to a clone of it?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

So im guessing in the pictures on ebay they have resonators, instead of cats?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Y2KVert4Me You make good solid points, everythng you said is def. important and true some things should pass muster some things are not that critical for 95% of the cars is the breathabilty of these cars bottle necked by a 1 3/4 "primary tube header? put a really big head or a big motor then it becomes import. but a 346" engine with usual mods cam little head work they will work fine for the application.Anybody that builds a big inch or big head hi rev motor we don't have to tell that guy how import. ultra correct headers are cause he knows or is advised most N/A (no turbo superchgr) sstreet cars w/220 to240 dur.@.50 cams these headers wll make just as much HP as the more expensive ones.now don't get me wrong I agree a good quality header is paramount to making HP but these other ones will make equal HP in most of the street vettes.I truly hate to admit but these foreign mfgrs. are REALLY GOOD at copying merchandise to the point you can't tell that whats done here the headers are so close or equal to the good ones that the cars for the most part are making the right move given the big price difference.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
LightFighter_GXP
Pro

funny thing is half OEM parts on the car are made in china... so whats the big deal about some Chinese headers...

infact... 80% of anything in your house is made in china too!!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

In one of the other LT EBay clone threads there are dyno results proving OBX headers are worth the money. The debate has always been that you pay more for better quality. Which isn't always the case. The bashers don't own cheap headers so they have to defend their purchase.

Now for me I want to see two things. First is wall thickness on all the available headers. Second is a simple magnet test. True high grade T304 Stainless is non magnetic. The cheaper SS will be magnetic. Rolled stainless will be somewhat magnetic. You will see some degree of magnetic among the cheaper SS. The harder the magnet sticks, the cheaper your rip off headers are. The magnetic stainless will rust. What? Yep cheap Stainless will rust.

So how about everyone with SS headers, regardless of brand, go pop your hood and stick a decent magnet to your headers and tell me if it sticks, how hard, and who makes your headers. Or should I start a new thread for this?

Get notified of new replies

To OBX headers..Can't believe I'm starting this thread.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 AM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

Good idea.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Got uid0
why go from dynamaxx to a clone of it?
Funny you should ask that. I felt the dynamaxx sounded very "tinny" I heard every exhaust pulse and a tick tick tick sound that annoyed me so I sold it. A big later I saw the "cheap china" ones on ebay and I had to try them for the price. Well these don't have that "tinny" sound. Perhaps they are a THICKER steel?

Dave
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
In one of the other LT EBay clone threads there are dyno results proving OBX headers are worth the money. The debate has always been that you pay more for better quality. Which isn't always the case. The bashers don't own cheap headers so they have to defend their purchase.

Now for me I want to see two things. First is wall thickness on all the available headers. Second is a simple magnet test. True high grade T304 Stainless is non magnetic. The cheaper SS will be magnetic. Rolled stainless will be somewhat magnetic. You will see some degree of magnetic among the cheaper SS. The harder the magnet sticks, the cheaper your rip off headers are. The magnetic stainless will rust. What? Yep cheap Stainless will rust.

So how about everyone with SS headers, regardless of brand, go pop your hood and stick a decent magnet to your headers and tell me if it sticks, how hard, and who makes your headers. Or should I start a new thread for this?
Ah yes cheap stainless glad you brought that up uused to tkink stainless was stainless ,couple years ago needed replacement burner for BBQ grill pkg. stated stainless great this wil last then year later WTF?!?! ROTTED THROUGH I so agree wall thickness and good stainless paramount.I'm just thankful my stainless lesson was a $30 grill not $1000 + set of headers

Quick Reply: OBX headers..Can't believe I'm starting this thread.