C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX headers..Can't believe I'm starting this thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
In one of the other LT EBay clone threads there are dyno results proving OBX headers are worth the money. The debate has always been that you pay more for better quality. Which isn't always the case. The bashers don't own cheap headers so they have to defend their purchase.

Now for me I want to see two things. First is wall thickness on all the available headers. Second is a simple magnet test. True high grade T304 Stainless is non magnetic. The cheaper SS will be magnetic. Rolled stainless will be somewhat magnetic. You will see some degree of magnetic among the cheaper SS. The harder the magnet sticks, the cheaper your rip off headers are. The magnetic stainless will rust. What? Yep cheap Stainless will rust.

So how about everyone with SS headers, regardless of brand, go pop your hood and stick a decent magnet to your headers and tell me if it sticks, how hard, and who makes your headers. Or should I start a new thread for this?
Well said , and thank you for some real information . You are correct on the grades of stainless steel as I found this out when my wife tried to put magnets on the refridge to hang crap and they would not stick ! At that point I researched stainless steel and found what you are speaking of . My cars mods will be fairly mild with a mild cam and free flowing air intake and maybe a supercharger down the road , with that being said I believe that these CHEAP headers should fit my needs nicely without breaking the bank ! Now don't get me wrong I would love to have some LG Pros but not for the price that they require ... Thanks agin for everyones input . I will let you all know what results I have with them ..

Last edited by ArkansasZ06; 04-03-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

This is some info that I copied from the auction... Description :

This auction is for a brand new OBX stainless steel header system for the 97-04 Corvette C5, LS1 / LS6 engine. Will fit cars with either manual or automatic transmission. This is for the complete true 304 stainless steel long tube design with crossover pipes as seen in the pictures below. Primaries are 1-3/4" in diameter, and 2.5" outlet. Runner Wall Thickness: 16 Gauge(1.5mm)

This system is a great upgrade for a free flowing exhaust as well as working as a replacement for replacing a rusted out stock system. This system removes the factory cats. Extension o2 sensor wires might be needed on certain years. Like all OBX header systems, this one is also backed by OBX's limited lifetime warranty program against manufacturing defects. I did a comparison and found this on LG's site the LG pros are constructed of all Stainless Steel mandrel bent construction using 304 stainless alloy.. Same stuff that the cheapos are made of !

Last edited by ArkansasZ06; 04-03-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

Default Pics anyone ?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Hey there ArkansasZ06 I ordered mine last night. 617 shipped to the door. I couldn't pass up a set up that cheap.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
Hey there ArkansasZ06 I ordered mine last night. 617 shipped to the door. I couldn't pass up a set up that cheap.
Awesome ! I cannot wait to put them on ! Keep me poste as mine will not arrive till the 8th ...
Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

What cat back are you guys going to run with these headers?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

Billy Boat Bullets ..
Old 04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

Too bad I'll have to "make" them fit on my 99 due to the AIR pipes.

Jason
Old 04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jhonathan_W
What cat back are you guys going to run with these headers?
I'm just gonna use the Stock Ti with by-pass mod.

Should sound pretty good.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ArkansasZ06
Now don't get me wrong I would love to have some LG Pros but not for the price that they require.

Very well put...

What ever happened to buying name brand headers at a fair price. I've built about 4 street / race cars in my day and put Hooker headers on all my projects. They were, at the time, the better header on the market. A set of 1 7/8 race headers for my Camaro's 68 and 69's would run about $300 bucks.

Now all of a sudden everyone wants $1000 plus !! What gives ? I had no problem with buying the OBX headers for my Vette. I did have to pay a little extra for the high flow cats, but in my book it was way better than paying for OVER PRICED name brands.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by JW Motorsports; 04-03-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 PM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Very well put...

What ever happened to buying name brand headers at a fair price. I've built about 4 street / race cars in my day and put Hooker headers on all my projects. They were, at the time, the better header on the market. A set of 1 7/8 race headers for my Camaro's 68 and 69's would run about $300 bucks.

Now all of a sudden everyone wants $1000 plus !! What gives ? I had no problem with buying the OBX headers for my Vette. I did have to pay a little extra for the high flow cats, but in my book it was way better than paying for OVER PRICED name brands.

Just my 2 cents.
Sinister, You're more than welcome to come to our facility to see why our headers cost what they do. Speaking for A.R. Headers, it isn't that header systems made in the US, using 100% US made S/S and labor is overpriced, it's that cheap knockoffs made with inferior materials and labor that's pennies to the dollar is priced accordingly. I won't speak for other brands but A.R. Headers are far from overpriced. Clearly you're willing to pay much less in price for much less in quality (whether you know it or not), and that's fine. Thankfully most aren't. The time will come when you'll realize your purchase wasn't all it was cracked up to be. At that point you'll step up and buy a U.S. made system.

Nick

Last edited by AR Headers; 04-03-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by AR Headers
Sinister, You're more than welcome to come to our facility to see why our headers cost what they do. Speaking for A.R. Headers, it isn't that header systems made in the US, using 100% US made S/S and labor is overpriced, it's that cheap knockoffs made with inferior materials and labor that's pennies to the dollar is priced accordingly. I won't speak for other brands but A.R. Headers are far from overpriced. Clearly you're willing to pay much less in price for much less in quality (whether you know it or not), and that's fine. Thankfully most aren't and at some point when you'll realize your purchase wasn't all it was cracked up to be. At that point you'll step up and buy a U.S. made system.

Nick
How much are your headers?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:27 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Sinister, You're more than welcome to come to our facility to see why our headers cost what they do. Speaking for A.R. Headers, it isn't that header systems made in the US, using 100% US made S/S and labor is overpriced, it's that cheap knockoffs made with inferior materials and labor that's pennies to the dollar is priced accordingly. I won't speak for other brands but A.R. Headers are far from overpriced. Clearly you're willing to pay much less in price for much less in quality (whether you know it or not), and that's fine. Thankfully most aren't. The time will come when you'll realize your purchase wasn't all it was cracked up to be. At that point you'll step up and buy a U.S. made system.

Nick

THANK YOU!!!!! WORDS OF WISDOM AND COMING FROM RESEARCH BASED ON R&D, ALONG WITH TRIAL AND ERROR.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 PM
AR Headers

Originally Posted by K RIPPER
813C3 Suggest you read ENTIRE post with attention to detail,then make comments that are accurate.I am not interested in a pizzing contest so lets start fresh.I actually have sentiments exactly like you most certainly want to buy and help my neighbor down the street or Ohio or anywhere else to help my country but times change and as I said in a prior post it is now a world economy we don't shop in the little hardware store on Main St.we go to Home Depot at the strip mall.The world is the store and free enterprise is king .Free enterprise is what made America great and what caused the fall of the U.S.S.R.. I don't buy strictly on the basis of country of orgin but on the basis of quality and price and I WILL and HAVE compromised on both to buy American made.We have to compete on the world stage, competition is good will make for a better less expensive product.Chevy Ford and Chrysler sat on their azzes while Toyota and Honda were scrambling around like a busy ant colony winning over the American public (no I'm not waving the Honda or Toyota flag) (nor have I ever owned a foreign car) well guess what Toyota is #1 in the US what did it do to Chevys? COMPETITION has made them better, better trhan they have ever been from the cracked cap connecting rods to the five computers and 90 micro processors and the coil on plug ignition system.Want to help our country get all the facts learn the rules and play the game on the world stage.To get back to the original OP OBX headers are they better/ not yet, would I buy ,probably yes quality is down but from input from other forum members only slightly but the price difference is so large it makes sense plus as I stated prior the money left over I can spend on additional mods and if possible U.S.A. made that have quality and price

K.Ripper, You make some good points but here's where your Toyota/Honda analogy doesn't apply, these overseas made products are nowhere near the quality of their U.S. made counter parts and the price reflects that. The pig iron nickel used to make those pipes will come back and bite many in the *** over time. It's happened before and it'll happen again. Our Asian friends are not going to use high grade S/S with pure nickel when they have millions of tons of pig iron nickel collecting dust. We continuously test this material and have yet to find anything we'd deem usable. How about that fact that these fly by night companies steal other designs and profit from them? Those headers are carbon copies of a U.S. brand. I think it's utterly despicable that they bring this garbage to market.

Nick
Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

When something is mass produced it costs pennies on the dollar. I'm sure there's quite a bit of mark up on thhesed products. And when they got ot the retailer, there's even more of a mark up. Soem day the truth will come out we'll see who's scaming who.

Sorry but I'm not paying for just the name on anything I buy.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM
AR Headers

That's the point Sinister, your not paying for name when it comes to ARH, your paying for quality. Want the truth? Swing by our facility any time you like and I'll enlighten you with enough truth you'll need a payloader to carry it out. That invite goes to anyone on the fence cosidering buying US made products or cheap knockoffs.

Nick

Get notified of new replies

To OBX headers..Can't believe I'm starting this thread.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I'll buy my plane ticket tomorrow....
Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K.Ripper, You make some good points but here's where your Toyota/Honda analogy doesn't apply, these overseas made products are nowhere near the quality of their U.S. made counter parts and the price reflects that. The pig iron nickel used to make those pipes will come back and bite many in the *** over time. It's happened before and it'll happen again. Our Asian friends are not going to use high grade S/S with pure nickel when they have millions of tons of pig iron nickel collecting dust. We continuously test this material and have yet to find anything we'd deem usable. How about that fact that these fly by night companies steal other designs and profit from them? Those headers are carbon copies of a U.S. brand. I think it's utterly despicable that they bring this garbage to market.

Nick
Nickas soon as the dust settles on my current mod to my 03 Z/06 gonna buy a set of headers and gonna take you up on the invite as I live somewhat nearby (Westchester Co. N.Y.) but maybe you could answer a few simple questions in the meantime,what grade stainless do you use F/headers 304,304T or ?? what gauge are the primary tubes? what are the dimensions of the flange, and lastly where the header bolts up to the head,where the exhaust port meets the primary tube is it flat across the flange or is there a raised area around each port so as to give a little extra protection against exhaust leaks like most here we intend to keep our cars for a long time thats why I want a superior product,one that seals and stays sealedand won't develop holes from thermal shock .But in all honesty if one header is $1500 and the import is $600 and the import looks and in my opinion seems to be somewhat equal in all aspects it is hard to justify spending that much more $$$$
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 PM
ArkansasZ06
Instructor

Wow what a pissing match over someone buying something other than the popular brands , sounds like jr high school B/S to me ! I have not mentioned that I have a long time personal friend that produces competition headers in the USA ( see nationwide nascar ) and I will have him review them ...Geezz for what I would to expect to be educated upper class people some just seem to have very bad attitudes when it comes to other peoples opinions ! Everyone is inttiled to one but those of us who have purchased the junk headers have not bashed on the popular brands other than saying the are too high for us ! Wow I'm in disbelief ..... Have a great day

Quick Reply: OBX headers..Can't believe I'm starting this thread.