C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does a BCM do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Dick Eilers
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
You need to be absolutely sure your battery is GOOD...
Then CLEAR your codes... go for a short ride then Pull the codes again BEFORE you kill the car... post them here.

I just replaced the battery and verified that the old battery was in good condition.

Its almost like the something is telling the car that it is running when it is not.

I do not know how to clear the codes.
I can not run a diagnostic on it, because I still cant get the car to run.
Door open door dings, radio is on, lights are on with out keys in the ignition. Put keys in the ignition turn to on gauges work, but the motor will not turn over just like it the car was already running and it is being electronically blocked from trying to turn over "while the engine is running", but its not. If the BCM is inside the car and the engine was exposed to water any ideas of how the BCM could be at fault. I remove the BCM1 fuse from slot 25 from the fuse box in the passenger floor board and the interior electronics shut off put it back in the interior electronics turn back on and stay on. Kinda like the Retined Accessory Power will not disengage.

Any ideas on how to fix this all while trying to avoid losing a couple thousand dollars to the dealership.

Thanks,
Dick

Last edited by Dick Eilers; 08-24-2016 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typos
The following users liked this post:
95BLKVette (02-12-2022)
Old 08-24-2016, 04:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You can reset the codes using the DIC and the reset button on the IP. There is a way to manually go through the codes (should be described in one of my old posts from a few years back, you could probably search for it using my name or Bill Curlee's name) and once you are in that mode you can go to each one and reset it. You don't need the engine running to do that. Just turn the ignition on and have a batter charger on the battery since it might take a while.

Have you checked under the battery to see if any battery fluid got down into the hoses and wiring harnesses below the battery? The ECM is located below that stuff. Maybe some battery residue flowed down in there while you were washing the engine and is causing issues with the electronics.

Not sure how you washed the engine but any pressure type washer could have forced water into any number of connectors which could cause all sorts of connection problems.

Your codes indicate you have a battery voltage issue in each door. Check the wires going from the A pillar to the door on each side to see if any have the insulation rubbed away. If those are OK then you should check the BCM connectors to see if any of them have issues such as corrosion or poor contact.

It might be a good idea to check your ignition switch. I never had that problem on either of my two C5s but a number of people have had to repair/replace the ignition switch.

Bill
Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Dick Eilers
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, bight brand new battery. installed in car with no change to problem status.

did diagnostics on car with a number of codes displayed as before.

hit the "reset" button on the dash (just below the "options" button).

this cleared all the codes.

car started like normal. everything looked normal. went for a 3 mile drive. everything looked good, car ran like normal. brought it back home. ran the diagnostics again. no codes on any of the various groupings.

car appears to be back in shape (for now). Starts like it should.

Thanks for all your help.

Till next time.................

Dick

Originally Posted by Dick Eilers
I just replaced the battery and verified that the old battery was in good condition.

Its almost like the something is telling the car that it is running when it is not.

I do not know how to clear the codes.
I can not run a diagnostic on it, because I still cant get the car to run.
Door open door dings, radio is on, lights are on with out keys in the ignition. Put keys in the ignition turn to on gauges work, but the motor will not turn over just like it the car was already running and it is being electronically blocked from trying to turn over "while the engine is running", but its not. If the BCM is inside the car and the engine was exposed to water any ideas of how the BCM could be at fault. I remove the BCM1 fuse from slot 25 from the fuse box in the passenger floor board and the interior electronics shut off put it back in the interior electronics turn back on and stay on. Kinda like the Retined Accessory Power will not disengage.

Any ideas on how to fix this all while trying to avoid losing a couple thousand dollars to the dealership.

Thanks,
Dick
Old 11-26-2020, 07:12 PM
Amarothman2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a bad bcm cause no crank just clicking I installed new starter new battery new fuse block on top of batteries when I go to start the car it clicks then shorts the 350amp fuse and the entire car goes black locked doors no dash nothing I checked wires made sure it was all tight I’m lost at this point any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-26-2020, 08:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

HOLY CRAP..... Are you sure that the engine is not seized/hydro locked????
Do you have an Auto or Manual?
If it were me,, knowing what I know about LS1/LS6s, I would see if you can rotate the engine. You may want to pull ALL the plugs and see if the cylinders are dry. Once the plugs are out, I woukld see if you can rotate the crank or spin the engine over by putting it in gear and pushing it. (manual trans)

Let us know what yiou think or what you find out.

Bill
Old 11-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Oh,,, The BCM is the Body Control Module and it controls power to the Theft deterrent relay which controls power to the starter solenoid. It provides a driver ground to the TDR so it can function when the BCM is happy with the cars security.

WHAT 350 AMP fuse are you blowing??? Didnt know we had a 350 amp fuse in the C5. If the theft deterrent Relay is functioning, the BCM is good.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 11-26-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:17 PM
Amarothman2
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
HOLY CRAP..... Are you sure that the engine is not seized/hydro locked????
Do you have an Auto or Manual?
If it were me,, knowing what I know about LS1/LS6s, I would see if you can rotate the engine. You may want to pull ALL the plugs and see if the cylinders are dry. Once the plugs are out, I woukld see if you can rotate the crank or spin the engine over by putting it in gear and pushing it. (manual trans)

Let us know what yiou think or what you find out.

Bill

mexhanic was able to rotate the engine I got it to crank over a little like 3 times heard some weird noises then goes dead
Old 12-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

In the passengers foot well, behind the toe board, just above the BCM (large silver box) are two relays. One is the Theft Deterrent Relay (TDR). It contains FOUR WIRES (Purple, Red, yellow and yellow/black stripe) Remove the relay and find the large PURPLE and RED wires in the relay socket.

NOTE/WARNING!!!!!! Failure to put the car in PARK/ Manual trans in Neutral and properly chock the wheels may result in the car moving unexpectedly when following this procedure!! Not responsible if you don't follow these safety rules!!!

Use a paper clip or jumper wire and jumper between the purple and red wires. The STARTER should engage and crank the engine. If you turn the key to RUN, it should start and run when you install the jumper.

Give that a try.

Bill
Old 01-26-2022, 07:04 PM
Jaysvette07
Intermediate

In the passengers foot well, behind the toe board, just above the BCM (large silver box) are two relays. One is the Theft Deterrent Relay (TDR). It contains FOUR WIRES (Purple, Red, yellow and yellow/black stripe) Remove the relay and find the large PURPLE and RED wires in the relay socket.

NOTE/WARNING!!!!!! Failure to put the car in PARK/ Manual trans in Neutral and properly chock the wheels may result in the car moving unexpectedly when following this procedure!! Not responsible if you don't follow these safety rules!!!

Use a paper clip or jumper wire and jumper between the purple and red wires. The STARTER should engage and crank the engine. If you turn the key to RUN, it should start and run when you install the jumper.

Give that a try.

Bill
Bill, could you help me out here please;
Recently my driver side door wont open from inside or out, the windows or locks do not work from the inside door panel, i can use my FOB to lock/unlock or pop my trunk just fine
when i push in the actuator latch to make the actuator think the door is closed, i can push the outside button release and it unlatches it, but when i close it and try to open it again, it doesnt work.
When i do the same thing except try from the inside door button release, it does nothing. the only thing i hear is a click from the fuse box in the passenger side. i checked the fuse and even replaced it and nothing changed. and i have no idea if its because im sitting in the driver seat, but when i try the door outside door switch from inside, it doesnt work so i get up and unlatch it from the trunk and then i do it again and stand up and push the outside door latch, it unlatches.
i switched out the outdoor release switches from passenger to driver and that didnt do anything either.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Use the DIC code reading procedure and read and wright all those DTCs. Then post ALL the DTCs you found. Clear all those DTC and try the door again. If it fails, read and post what DTCs come back.

BC
Old 01-27-2022, 06:23 PM
Jaysvette07
Intermediate

Use the DIC code reading procedure and read and wright all those DTCs. Then post ALL the DTCs you found. Clear all those DTC and try the door again. If it fails, read and post what DTCs come back.

BC
appreciate you sir!
Old 01-28-2022, 10:33 AM
Jaysvette07
Intermediate

BC
i went to autozone and there weren’t any codes. This is also a C6. The speaker doesn’t work on the door either. But when i open the door the windows work.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:40 AM
photonhunter
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaysvette07
... This is also a C6....
You might want to try posting in the C6 forum. This is the C5 forum.

dan k.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:43 AM
Jaysvette07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by photonhunter
You might want to try posting in the C6 forum. This is the C5 forum.

dan k.
oops lol sorry, google brought me here

Quick Reply: what does a BCM do?