C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resetting codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
MckinleyC5
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resetting codes

Bought a wrecked 02 Z06, did all the work and even replaced the airbags, clock spring and module, but the air bag light will not go off. Does anyone know of a way to reset the airbag light? Tried unhooking the battery several times for variuos lengths of time and I have driven the car a couple hundred miles with the light on. If anyone knows anything please help. The dealer wants an arm and a leg to reset the light. Thank you for any help or ideas that might be offered.

Mckinley

Last edited by MckinleyC5; 04-07-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
pjlee1
Advanced

Originally Posted by MckinleyC5
Bought a wrecked 02 Z06, did all the work and even replaced the airbags, clock spring and module, but the air bag light will not go off. Does anyone know of a way to reset the airbag light? Tried unhooking the battery several times for variuos lengths of time and I have driven the car a couple hundred miles with the light on. If anyone knows anything please help. The dealer wants an arm and a leg to reset the light. Thank you for any help or ideas that might be offered.

Mckinley
check out this site to reset codes...
http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MckinleyC5

Mckinley
You'll probably need to replace whatever sensor(s) cause the airbag(s) to deploy.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You need a TECH II to do that. There are IDs to match with the modules. Have to dig out the procedure in the service manual but, find someone with a TECH II and you will be fine.

BC
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 AM
MckinleyC5
Cruising

Default update

Thank you all for your replies...
I went through and pulled the codes the way the website instructs you to, I then went through and reset all the codes, there were 7 codes all together. They all had the H after them, meaning they were history codes. All of them would reset with the exception of 2, they both were on the BCM. I call the dealer that I bought the parts from and they told me that I had to have it hooked to a computer in order to reset those 2. I took the car yesterday evening to a full service tech (friend) so he could reset them. His scanner would read the same codes but could not reset them. Then we found out it had to be a Tech II scanner. I called a dealer that is just right down the road and they told me that they could reset them and it would cost about $80 or $85. I took it straight down there, they got me in and within 10 minutes the tech come back and tells me they are hard codes that he can not reset. I told him what I knew, he repeated the codesto me, they were the exact same, B0026 and B0051. I told he again that I already knew that. I thought with the tech II scanner you could go in and reconfigure the BCM. He told me that you could not and it looked like maybe a wire was loose or a connector might not be making contact and that he could go in, take it apart and trouble shoot it. Trouble shoot it at $85 an hour. I told him "No Thanks, just bring me my car back" and the guy behind the counter that made the appointment overheard our conversation then procceeded to tell me that if everything was working and making contact that it will all reset itself on its own. I then asked myself why I would even make the appointment if it should have reset itself. After all that, his tech spending 10 minutes with my car, 5 of which was spent putting plastic over the seat, getting in the car, and then adjusting the seat, he was going to charge me for wasting my time and not doing what he said he could do.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
MckinleyC5
Cruising

My advise to everyone in Bristol Tennessee area or surrounding area....

Stay away from Bill Gatton. They don't seem to know what they think they do. They will tell you one thing and then turn right around and tell you something totally different. They could run your bill up real quick if your not careful.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
will2w
Cruising

Did you reset your airbag lights? I have a similar situation, replaced both airbags and module, but could not reset the light. Any advice???
Old 07-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You may not have replaced everything you need to replace. Here is the info from the Service Manual:
Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision

Caution

Proper operation of the SIR sensing system requires that any repairs to the vehicle structure return the vehicle structure to the original production configuration. Not properly repairing the vehicle structure could cause non-deployment in a collision or deployment for conditions less severe than intended.

After a collision, the following components need to be inspected as indicated. If any damage is detected, replace the component. If damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware is detected, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.
  • Steering column - Perform the steering column accident damage checking procedures. Refer to Steering Column Accident Damage Inspection in Steering Wheel and Column.
  • I/P Knee Bolsters and Mounting Points - Inspect the knee bolsters for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
  • I/P brackets, braces, etc. - Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
  • Seat Belts - Perform the seat belt operational and functional checks. Refer to Operational and Functional Checks in Seat Belts.
  • Seats and Seat Mounting Points - Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
After inspecting the components listed above, proceed to the following Component Replacement and Inspections if air bag deployment has occurred.

Frontal Inflator Module Deployment - Component Replacement and Inspections

After a collision involving frontal air bag deployment, replace the following components.
  • Inflatable restraint I/P module
  • Inflatable restraint steering wheel module
  • Inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)
Perform additional inspections on the following components.
  • Steering wheel module coil and coil wiring pigtail - Inspect for melting, scorching, or other damage due to excessive heat.
  • Mounting points and mounting hardware for the I/P module, steering wheel module, and SDM - Inspect for damage and repair or replace each component as needed.
DTC B0051

Circuit Description

The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) contains a sensing device that converts vehicle velocity changes into an electrical signal. The SDM compares this electrical signal to a value stored in memory. When the generated signal exceeds the stored value, the SDM performs additional signal processing and compares the generated signals to values stored in memory. When two of the generated signals exceed the stored values, the SDM will cause current to flow through the inflator modules, deploying the air bags, and causing DTC B0051 to set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition 1 Voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The SDM detects a frontal crash of sufficient force to warrant deployment of the frontal air bags.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
  • The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON.
  • The SDM records crash data.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC B0051 is a latched code which cannot be cleared. Replace the SDM after following the instructions in the diagnostic table.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Step 1

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-SIR?

Go to Step 2

Step 2
  • Turn OFF the ignition.
  • Inspect the vehicle for signs of inflator module deployment.
Does the vehicle show any signs of inflator module deployment?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 3

Step 3

Inspect the front of the vehicle and undercarriage for signs of impact/collision.
Does the vehicle show any signs of impact/collision?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 4

Step 4

Replace the SDM. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module Replacement .
Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 6

--

Step 5

• Install a scan tool.
  • Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • With the scan tool request the SIR DTC display.
  • If a history DTC exists, refer to Diagnostic Aids for that specific DTC and diagnose the problem.
  • Replace components and perform inspections as required following an accident. Refer to Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision .
Did you complete the appropriate inspections and necessary repairs?

Go to Step 6

--

Step 6

• Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
  • Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC reset?

Go to Step 2

System OK

Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module Replacement

Caution

Refer to SIR Caution in Cautions and Notices.
Caution

Do not strike or jolt the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM). Before applying power to the SDM, make sure that it is securely fastened with the arrow facing toward the front of the vehicle. Failure to observe the correct installation procedure could cause SIR deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.
Caution

If the vehicle interior is exposed to moisture and becomes soaked up to the level of the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM), the SDM and SDM harness connector must be replaced. The SDM could be activated when powered, which could cause airbag deployment and result in personal injury.

• Remove the heater and A/C control head.
  • Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the SDM harness connector.

• Disconnect the SDM harness connector.

• Remove the SDM (3) mounting fasteners (2).
  • Remove the SDM from the I/P center support system (1).
Installation Procedure
  • Remove any dirt, grease, or other impurities from the mounting surface.

• Install the SDM (3) horizontally to the I/P center support system (1).
  • Point the arrow on the SDM toward the front of the vehicle.
Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  • Install the SDM mounting fasteners (2). Tighten
Tighten the fasteners to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
  • Install the SDM harness connector to the SDM.
Important

The AIR BAG indicator may remain ON after the SDM has been replaced. DTC B1001 may set requiring the SDM part number to be set in multiple modules. If the indicator remains ON after enabling the SIR system, perform the diagnostic system check and follow the steps thoroughly to ensure that the SDM is set properly.DTC B0022, B0024, or B0026

The inflatable restraint steering wheel module deployment loop consists of the inflatable restraint steering wheel module, the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil, and the steering wheel module high and low circuits. A shorting bar used within the steering wheel module coil connector shorts together the steering wheel module high and low circuits when the connector is disconnected. This helps to prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. During a frontal crash of sufficient force, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) allows current to flow through the deployment loop in order to deploy the steering wheel module. When the ignition is turned ON, the SDM performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be stored in memory.

Ignition 1 voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

• DTC B0022 will set when the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is less than 1.3 ohms for 300 milliseconds.
  • DTC B0024 will set when one of the following conditions occur:
    • Steering wheel module high circuits is more than 6 volts for 300 milliseconds.
    • Steering wheel module high circuit is less than 2 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is less than 6 ohms for 300 milliseconds.
  • DTC B0026 will set when one of the following conditions occurs:
    • Steering wheel module high circuit is less than 2 volts and the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is more than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
    • Steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is more than 6 ohms for 300 milliseconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via Class 2 serial data.

• The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists and the scan tool Clear DTCs function is used.
  • A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction free ignition cycles have occurred.
Diagnostic Aids

The following are possible causes of the malfunction:
  • A short between the steering wheel module high and low circuits.
  • An open or a high resistance in the steering wheel module high or low circuits.
  • A short to ground or a short to voltage in the steering wheel module high or low circuits.
  • The steering wheel module coil connector
  • The SDM connector
  • A malfunctioning steering wheel module
  • A malfunctioning steering wheel module coil
  • A malfunctioning SDM
Thoroughly inspect the wiring and the connectors. An incomplete inspection of the wiring and the connectors may result in a misdiagnosis, causing a part replacement with the reappearance of the malfunction. If an intermittent malfunction exists, refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.
5. This step tests to see if the malfunction is caused by the steering wheel module or by the steering wheel module coil.
7. This step tests to see what DTCs are present. If DTC B0022 is present, test for a short between the steering wheel module high and low circuits. If DTC B0024 is present, test the steering wheel module high and low circuits for an open and for high resistance. If DTC B0026 is present, test the steering wheel module high and low circuits for an open and for high resistance.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: SIR Schematics

Step 1

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-SIR?

Does the connector exhibit any signs of damage or corrosion?

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 4

Step 3

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 11

--

Step 4

• Install the J 38715-A SIR Driver/Passenger Load Tool to the harness side of the steering wheel module coil connector. Use BASE OF COLUMN connector.
  • Use the scan tool to request SIR DTCs displayed.
Does the scan tool indicate that DTC B0022, B0024, or B0026 are current?

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 5

Step 5

• Turn OFF the ignition.
  • Disconnect and remove the J 38715-A .
  • Connect the steering wheel module coil connector.
  • Remove the steering wheel module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement .
  • Use the J 38715-30A adapter to connect the J 38715-A to the upper steering wheel module coil connector on top of the steering column. Use STEERING COLUMN connector.
  • Use the scan tool to request SIR DTCs displayed.
Does the scan tool indicate that DTC B0022, B0024, or B0026 are current?

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 8

Step 6

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 7

Step 7

• If DTC B0022 is present, test for a short between the steering wheel module high and low circuits.
  • If DTC B0024 is present, test the steering wheel module high and low circuits for a short to ground or a short to voltage.
  • If DTC B0026 is present, test the steering wheel module high and low circuits for an open or high resistance.
  • All the above conditions refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 10

Step 8

Go to Step 11

--

Step 9

Go to Step 11

--

Step 10

Go to Step 11

--

Step 11

• Connect all SIR components.
  • Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
  • Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC reset?

Go to Step 2

System OK

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-28-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The above posting ought to give him a warm and fuzzt deeling!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
The above posting ought to give him a warm and fuzzt deeling!

I'd almost be willing to pay someone $85 just to read that.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 PM
will2w
Cruising

Thanks for the info. The only code that I'm having problem resetting is 58-SDM 'B1001' H C ; (B1001 is 'Option Configuration Error'). I was able to clear it on the dash, which turns off the airbag light right away; but when I re-start the car again, it appears and turns on the airbag light again. Such a pain! Any idea to reset this permanently? Could Tech II reset/clear it? Thanks!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM
kdehl113
Advanced

FYI, both my airbags blew and I replaced both and the SDM. The battery was disconnected for about three weeks and when I connected it and turned the car on I received no faults.

Get notified of new replies

To resetting codes

Quick Reply: resetting codes