C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my crank bent???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default is my crank bent???

upon visually inspecting my "wabbling" balancer before my mechanic replaced it he noticed that the crank bolt that holds the pulley to the motor has a tiny "shimmy" to it. nothing huge. just enough to make the bolt look blurry while its running...

Am i in huge trouble?...he already balked at replacing my pulley and wants me to take it to the dealer... or someone that knows the LS1 a ton more than him.

im scheduled to take a 3000 mile trip in 3 weeks. i took a 4500 mile trip in 3 days less than 5k miles ago and had no problems at all...is my crank bent or should i run it this summer and do an overhaul this winter?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

doubtful, not sure how one could bend a crank.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as long as the balancer is spinning straight and true, your crank is fine..dont look at the bolt.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

the balancer itself wabbles...that is why i bought a new one and wanted him to replace it...i just never noticed the bolt being blurry until we got it off the ground and saw it from below...i could cry...the summer is approaching and i cant think about an engine overhaul with only 60k miles on it... i really need someone who knows what they are doing with an LS1 to tell me its gonna be alright....
Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
LightFighter_GXP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your balancer is prob just jacked up!!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Easy, big fella, your crank's not bent.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

oh its jacked up all right....like i said...i drove all the way from portland maine to the assembly plant in kentucky and back in 3 days...last april....damn thing ran like a top and i did some crazy speeding...she took it all and asked for more...wouldnt the computer spit out a bunch of codes if there were something seriously wrong???
Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no codes..Just put the new balancer on and see if its straight.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

ok....and if its not?.....i mean could it just be the bolt head from all that wabbling?...im obviously replacing the bolt while im there....
Old 04-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Vector
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The bolts are once use and toss. The bolts actually stretch to get the proper torque (something like 190 ft-lbs). Do Not reuse those bolts!!! The old ones may very well look wobbly when turning. Replace the balancer and use new bolts - everything will be fine.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM
qwkAgZ
4th Gear

Bent cranks can happen, usually from dropping them on the floor. Signs of a bent crank would be worn out bearings, so unless you have a nasty knocking sound, very doubtful your crank is bent.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:52 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

wow...so this guy is really balking at a job he knows nothing about...lucky me then...looks like i have to find a better guy...i just dont want to take a bath at the dealership...the engine is strong...no knocking or anything...it purrrrrs like the first time i started it...i think he just doesnt want to do all the work of taking the rack out first...
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought this post was going to be a Clinton joke....
Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,586 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Holy Moses. There are Tons of knowledgeable people and reliable shops on the east coast who can install a new damper and seal correctly and not drain your wallet. Fins a competent Corvette shop. How far are you from (COW) Corvettes Of Westchester??

Guys,,,please make some recommendations.

Don't just install a new OEM damper. If your going to replace it, do it right. I installed a Powerbond Damper and its performed excellent. I also up-graded to an ARP damper bolt.

You have options. Consider them. Hell,,I would do it for you but, I'm up to my ears with my own issues.

BC
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 PM
DonsC5
Instructor

im in portland maine....ive never seen a sign on the outside of a business that had the word corvette in it...simply is not enough demand up here in the sticks...my problem is the few people who buy this car up here can afford to send it to the dealer and pay what it takes to fix/mod it. i on the other hand am very middle class and the only way i could even get into this kind of car was to buy one that had been in a front end impact...

my point is yes i own the car but most of the time i cant pay $100 an hour to replace a balancer. I'm double skrewed because i dont trust anyone up here in the sticks to work on it...there are 3 chevy dealers up here...one has never worked on a corvette and the other wanted me to buy a new engine wiring harness once when they couldnt find a faulty ground to my fog lights....they just dont make me confident...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

:ro fl:

QUOTE!!!!
there are 3 Chevy dealers up here...one has never worked on a corvette and the other wanted me to buy a new engine wiring harness once when they couldnt find a faulty ground to my fog lights....they just dont make me confident...

RUN my friend!!! run as far as you can from them!!!!!!

Use the forum to find your repair shop! There in Maine,,you just have to use forum resources to find a good one. IF its not a shop, its a forum member who will be willing to help you out!

I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Bill C
Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

ya....you should have seen the look on the guys face behind the service center counter when i placed the $9 part that an electrical shop found for me...i went up one side of him and down the other...he said he would "cut me a deal" and only charge me around $4,000 to rewire the entire car...it was a $9 part!!!! everyone in the waiting room heard me and half of the people behind me left with me....

Get notified of new replies

To is my crank bent???

Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

[QUOTE=Bill Curlee;1569617987]Holy Moses. There are Tons of knowledgeable people and reliable shops on the east coast who can install a new damper and seal correctly and not drain your wallet. Fins a competent Corvette shop. How far are you from (COW) Corvettes Of Westchester??

Don't just install a new OEM damper. If your going to replace it, do it right. I installed a Powerbond Damper and its performed excellent. I also up-graded to an ARP damper bolt.

You have options. Consider them. Hell,,I would do it for you but, I'm up to my ears with my own issues.

i guess the days of offering someone a case of beer to replace a balancer are very much over...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=DonsC5;1569619335][QUOTE=Bill Curlee;1569617987]Holy Moses. There are Tons of knowledgeable people and reliable shops on the east coast who can install a new damper and seal correctly and not drain your wallet. Fins a competent Corvette shop. How far are you from (COW) Corvettes Of Westchester??

Don

You can a bet your life..... If I had the time to help you and was able to help you,,,I would offer it for FREE and it would be done correctly. Righ now, times are tight and I have some of my own issues to deal with!!!

Hopefully,,,someone will point you to a good shop or offer to help you.

Bill C
Old 04-08-2009, 02:14 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

thank you for all your help and info Bill. you can bet your life that id make the trip down to CT any day of the week... so far i havent had anyone point me to a good shop in the area...or offer their assistance...looks like i will have to go down south anyway...

drive safe... Don

Quick Reply: is my crank bent???