C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K-Harness location

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Magred6sp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K-Harness location

Hey guys, I am installing my CLB today and wonder if someone can tell me where the GM K-Harness is located? If I understand correctly, I need to remove this. The instructions that came with the CLB doesn't even mention it. I started to look over the sticky but didn't want to read 13 pages. Tried the search feature, don't know whats up with that, but basically gives me everything but what I am searching.
Thanks in advance for the help, I know someone can tell me what I need to know.......................Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Magred6sp
Instructor

Really, no one knows?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you have a Harness K relay installed, it will be connected between the main wiring harness (where you will install the CLB) and the actuator, and the relay will be attached to the bracket to the left of the steering column.

Follow the connector that comes from the actuator and if it leads to the left to a relay, that is the Harness K relay.

If there is nothing between where the actuator connects to the main wiring harness under the column, like the CLB instructions probably show, then you never had a Harness K kit installed.

Are you sure you had the recall done where the dealer would remove the lockplate and install the Harness K kit? Does you actuator still cycle when you turn the key, but the column does not lock? These are indicators that you do have a Harness K kit installed.

Yes, the Harness K relay must be removed before you install the CLB since the relays perform the same function. Since the Harness K relay also connects to the actuator, the connector will match the CLB, so it is possible to connect the CLB to the Harness K instead of the main wiring harness where it is designed to connect. Note, the CLB leaves the actuator disconnected, and the GM version keeps the actuator in the circuit. More than you probably wanted to know.....

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-12-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TEXHAWK0, that's exactly what he wanted to know.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Magred6sp
Instructor

Thanks, I knew someone would be able to help. I have everything apart, I will go out and see what I have. I know the dealership did the lock plate removal right before I took ownership of the car in 2007. I wasn't informed enough to stop them from doing the recall. I don't know if they installed a K-Harness. I will pull the paperwork they gave me and see what it says before I head back to the garage........Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 03:08 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Magred6sp
Thanks, I knew someone would be able to help. I have everything apart, I will go out and see what I have. I know the dealership did the lock plate removal right before I took ownership of the car in 2007. I wasn't informed enough to stop them from doing the recall. I don't know if they installed a K-Harness. I will pull the paperwork they gave me and see what it says before I head back to the garage........Dave
If you know they removed the lockplate, then installing the Harness K kit is part of the same recall. The kit comes with the wiring harness with the relay, and a smaller plate to replace the lockplate. The lockplate also serves to cancel the turn signal, so you cannot just remove it. It is replaced with the smaller plate that was used on the automatics.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Magred6sp
Instructor

According to the paperwork I received when I purchased the car, unfortunately recall 04006 was done and they have listed the harness K. I will go look under the dash and try to find it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:13 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Magred6sp
According to the paperwork I received when I purchased the car, unfortunately recall 04006 was done and they have listed the harness K. I will go look under the dash and try to find it. I'll keep you posted.
There is a picture of the Harness K relay and two connectors in the sticky at the top of the section. It will be wire tied to the left of the steering column.

Here is a picture of the kit. You can see the smaller plate in the bag.
The newer relays may be white.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-12-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

You are right that you do not have to "physically" remove it from the car. The point was to make sure you disconnect it at the right place, and do not make the mistake of connecting it to the actuator side of the harness.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Magred6sp
Instructor

Thank you, I am glad to know not to plug it into the wrong place. I could see myself doing that. Removed it completely everything works fine for now. We will see next time I can get it out to drive it. Waiting on the snow melt.
Thanks for all the help.................................... ...............Dave
Old 04-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Blindq
1st Gear

Default K-Harness plug

I have the CorvettWorldParts column lock bypass. I have disconnected the Black, Orange, Purple, Green (BOP G) wires from the plug with the Purple, White, Green, Black plug of the K-Hanress ( I can't see harness). Now I need to unplug the Purple (Green?) and White wire plug which I can't find on the K-harness. Any help on possible location of the two wire plug would help. Thanks - Blindq

Update - finished the install following the input from fellow Corvette owner. Which was that about 35% of the recalls for the Column Lock didn't install a K-Harness. This was my case. So I just plugged in the CLB and started the car. The message appeared for Column Lock and I just reset it. Hasn't come back and car runs fine.

Last edited by Blindq; 04-24-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Update wire color

Get notified of new replies

To K-Harness location

Quick Reply: K-Harness location