C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found small crack in the glass roof on my coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 AM
eblue2002
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found small crack in the glass roof on my coupe...

It's about 3 inches long, starting right where the passenger side window meets the removable roof and running straight toward the driver's side. It's almost exactly in the middle (if it went all the way acrosse the top would be divided into a front half and a back half).

I usually notice every little scuff and smashed bug on the car, so I would think I would have noticed a crack in my top, but I guess it could have been there for a long time and I just finally saw it because the sun hit it just right. Who knows...

Anyway, I don't know a lot about glass repair. Is this something that folks would typically have repaired (like the stuff they inject in a windshield when it's cracked or chipped)? Or, will it have to be replaced? If so, how much does a tinted top run? Or maybe better yet, how much do the painted ones go for, and what are they made of (fiberglass, etc.)?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Blown427conv
Racer

It's plastic, can't be fixed and still look good. You can live with it, have a body shop drill stop the crack and fill/paint the whole thing with questionable paint durability, or R&R it. Mine is crazed, but not very noticeable so I'm living with mine. I doubt yours will get much worse, just a preference thing now.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 AM
eblue2002
Advanced

Cool. I had visions of it spreading across the entire roof like a regular windshield crack (I thought the top was made of glass). If it doesn't spread too much more, I can probably live with it for now.

What do you mean by "crazed?" Lots of cracks?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

Yes, lots of very fine cracks that don't go all the way through I don't think. Clear plastic does that over time I've found.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

It is still flexible though, I had the top in the back of the car and wife shut the hatch on something jamming it, so I had to crawl back there and pull the cables while laying on it. It flexed a few times when I put too much weight on it but didn't break. It feels like a Saturn fender or door when you push in on it. Not very thick but holds it shape well till excess pressure, probably 70 pounds or so pushes in on it. It is a lot more sturdy when locked on the roof though.

Get notified of new replies

To Found small crack in the glass roof on my coupe...

Quick Reply: Found small crack in the glass roof on my coupe...