C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of c5 repair post that everyone should have!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Robesp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Bill!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for gathering all those links together.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I don't have an E brake post in the mix but,,, I recommend that you do two things:

1. Remove the passengers seat. Pull down the carpet on the tunnel On the side of the E break mechanism, there are some gears and springs and ratchets. They are suppose to take up and keep the slack out of the cable. The grease can get old and dry and prevent the mechanism form working correctly. Clean off all the old grease and re-lube.

2. Remove one rear brake drum at a time. When you remove it, do not just pull it off. Rotate the drum left and right and work the drum off. Do not apply too much force on the drum in the outward direction. There is a W shaped spring inside the shoes that is connected to the E brake backing plate that will pop out and it is a PITA to get back in.

Once you get the drum/rotor off, inspect the shoes. make sure that there is ample brake pad remaining. There is,, there is an adjustment cam between the shoes. If the inside drum has a lip on it, use a file and remove it so that it fits back on the shoes easily. The lip on the drum can prevent the drum going back on the shoes with out first collapsing the shoes and that will cause excessive E brake handle movement on engagement.

Adjust the shoes so that they allow the drum to slide back on with a slight drag.

You should have a nice tight E brake handle with a 3-4 click grap and no car movement.

Please let us know how you make out with the adjustment and the results..

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 01-30-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I don't have an E brake post in the mix but,,, I recommend that you do two things:

1. Remove the passengers seat. Pull down the carpet on the tunnel On the side of the E break mechanism, there are some gears and springs and ratchets. They are suppose to take up and keep the slack out of the cable. The grease can get old and dry and prevent the mechanism form working correctly. Clean off all the old grease and re-lube.

2. Remove one rear brake drum at a time. When you remove it, do not just pull it off. Rotate the drum left and right and work the drum off. Do not apply too much force on the drum in the outward direction. There is a W shaped spring inside the shoes that is connected to the E brake backing plate that will pop out and it is a PITA to get back in.

Once you get the drum/rotor off, inspect the shoes. make sure that there is ample brake pad remaining. There is,, there is an adjustment cam between the shoes. If the inside drum has a lip on it, use a file and remove it so that it fits back on the shoes easily. The lip on the drum can prevent the drum going back on the shoes with out first collapsing the shoes and that will cause excessive E brake handle movement on engagement.

BC

Adjust the shoes so that they allow the drum to slide back on with a slight drag.

You should have a nice tight E brake handle with a 3-4 click grap and no car movement.

Please let us know how you make out with the adjustment and the results..

Bill
That's what fixed mine when I first got my car. And yes, that clip was the largest PITA on any repairs on my car, and I am in engine R&I #2.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM
byocum
Advanced

Default E Brake

Thanks for the info! I will probably replace shoes any way if I have to pull off the rotors.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Louisnagy
1st Gear

Default C5 electrical problems at insterment panel

Not sure where to post this but here goes,this is what happen on my 02 the insterment panel went crazy gauges went all the way to max or minimum,every warning that was possible was showing ,a/c quit,radio quit,,thought it was the body control module at first,was not sure about how to trouble shoot it with out tech 2 scanner did this interment for a while ,could still drive car,saw where others had posted about where the wires in the Doors shorted out where it went from the rubber accordion into the to the body ,finally the driver door window quit working that was when I found the problem the driver( control module )unplugged it an all my problems went away ;taped into the widow motor wired to get my window up (there are 2 wires just hook to jumper cables from battery ,switch wires for up and down)took,me a week but I found it 😫Hope this helps someone,if you have any questions let me know ,🔧🔩🛠
Old 05-26-2016, 10:21 AM
NavyGunner1980
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, Thank you very much, sometime I think I might have to do everyone of these things to my new project...... :-(

Thanks for all your hard work.

Tony
Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Bill I would PAY for the list in PDF form !!!! LOL !!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:40 AM
NavyGunner1980
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My ONLY goal is to bring some sanity to this crazy passion!

BC
Thanks Bill, I appreciate your patience.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:41 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Thank you!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 PM
VetteDawg
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- C5 Bakersfield, How to fix a door lock or window problem : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...w-problem.html
Why, if I click on this, does it tell me that I don't have permission to look at it?

Quick Reply: List of c5 repair post that everyone should have!