C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove through puddle, Engine blew up! Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
mastafarii
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default find a good lawyer

or just try mentioning youre planing to get one as you feel youre not being treated fairly.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by intoc6s
I think he means LS7!!

Let me see if I understand which now I don't?

I have a LS1 and a LS7 would be a direct replacement?

During Katrina I moved my car upstate to avoid driving through water for the engine lock issue. I have been very careful and now have 80,000 miles. But if I wanted eventually replace my LS1 with a crate engine that the rest of the driveline could take and stay together LS7? or LS3?

I have USAA had have been a member for 40 years.,, but don't get me on insurance and Katrina.

Last edited by jimcork1; 07-25-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:50 PM
huttler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAI's are the devil. I nearly blew my engine 3 days after I bought my '99 TT, because I didn't realize the CAI was litterally about 5 inches from the ground. Luckly, I had the clutch pushed in when I drove through a "puddle" in Tampa Fl, and it only water locked the engine. I've seen other people in various makes/models with CAI's, blow their engines like this. So much for the water bypass.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:04 AM
The Boy Racer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
First, good luck getting your settlement. Second, once this is over, check into USAA. You are obviously in the military, so you should be able to get them. Over 30 years, I have never had them try and screw me on a claim, including one flooding (luckily no engine damage, just interior.)

They even covered my targa top when I dropped it one windy night. They asked me to get a quote for a new one which I did. 1400$ at dealer. They then wired the full amount of money right into my account that day. USAA is THE best.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Sramoo
I remember years ago I got some hurricane damage on my old MR2. The insurance company tried to low-ball the estimate, citing that the car had "used paint on it."

Dumbfounded, but still a smart azz to the end, I asked them to refer me to a body shop that could re-spray with used paint. They said,"there isn't any used paint."

Exactly.

Sorry, not totally on topic but it cracks me up.

X2!!

Bottom line - GEICO is one of the WORST insurance companies out there.

All insurance companies have an un-spoken policy to "reduce the payout of all claims as much as possible", but these folks take it to a whole other level. I have been involved in three incidences with GEICO covering the other driver, and even though in all cases the other party was at fault, I still got screwed (actually, this last one I turned over to my insurance (State Farm) and they dealt with them; the claim on my vehicle (totaled) went from $1,300 to $4,800).

Try to get as much as you can, then when this is all sorted, switch insurance companies. Good luck (and thanks for serving! )

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 07-26-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
...... then when this is all sorted, switch insurance companies. Good luck (and thanks for serving! )
if everything is taken care of to his satisfaction, what's the point of switching ins. company?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

This is the problem with bottom feeder intakes. Drive through too much water and bang. Since you already involved the insurance company I would take the money they would give you and build the motor you want.

Quick Reply: Drove through puddle, Engine blew up! Help