C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best air intake for C5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget about the rain,it is a non issue.I drive in louisiana downpours with out a problem of any kind many many times. Cheap is relative,it is merely an air duct that is completely hidden and does a great job.Fitment issues seem to come from the unskilled installers.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Gbuick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the vararam do I need to do anything with my fog lights? Get the ZO6 grilles? any better flow?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
wcdaniel
Pro

Vortech Rammer was on my '03 C5 QuickSilver 50th when I bought it.

Have only had the car 3 months and took it out to the local drag strip this last weekend and did a 13.1 at 110 mph and I spun the tires terribly. My Michelin Run-Farces just would not handle the torque and horsepower. My 60 foot time was about 2.8 seconds

But the thing will definitely FLY !!!!!

Someone mentioned the Rammer is a big vacuum cleaner. They are correct. That thing will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. Literally I pulled a trash-bag out of there last week.

But never fear, there is a chicken-wire deal that I purchased that covers that area to prevent the stuff from getting into the radiator & intake area. It is about $10 and an easy install.

Interestingly, along with the Vortex Rammer, the plenum is a Hall-Tech. It has an improved throttle body of some kind, I don't know anything about it. If anyone knows details of throttle body enhancements, please sing out.

Also, it has a Corsa exhaust that sounds unbelievable.

Like I said, it will FLY. I would not change a thing, yet.

Me happy Kamper

Last edited by wcdaniel; 11-10-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have been running the VRB2 for over a year now! I won't give it up until I go FI. We all drive Chevy's sportscar! Good thing Vararam isn't made by Goverment Motors or they would lose our order.

The VRB2 performs as advertised. When did any mod you bought install "perfectly"?

You can feel the Vararam - Seat of the Pants!

Buy anything else and lose - all things being equal!

Not that I know anything!

p.s. Never claimed to!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
SL1D3R
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Sorry for digging this up, but it has a lot of good information.

My question is:

I just bought a yellow 01 and it came with a Halltech Venom intake (I think).

Other than making the intake look pretty, would installing a dual cone intake have an affect on the performance?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Vette.97
8th Gear

Default Cold air intake

After reading all the forums, I'm still confused. I want add HP and get better gas mileage, but what is the best one to install?? Money/Time no object.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Vararam. Period.

Best for both mileage and power. You CAN feel the difference. It's not a euphoria feeling. It's real. Any Vararam owner will tell you the same thing. And the only people that say it's BS are non Vararam owners; people that have never felt or seen it in action. First time I saw it in action was on my friend's 2000 vert. It made his car a freeway monster. It wakes up an LS1 big time. It made a considerable difference on my Z06 as well. Here's the proof:

My friend had a 98 coupe with an A&A blower making between 5-6Lbs of boost though a slipping belt and a 6-speed. We weighed his car and it came out to 3350. With him and his passenger, the car weighed a hair over 3700Lbs. We then weighed my car. It was 3080. With me, it was 3230Lbs. We got on the closed road course and did a few roll races. From 50 to about 135. Now keep in mind, my only mod was the Vararam at the time...

And the results:
We were door to door the entire time. The only time either of us gained an each on the other was during shifts (as you know we have very different shift points since our red lines are different and our gearing is different). Anyway, we estimated that he was making about 410 RWHP before he fixed the pulley. My car had dyno'd 355 RWHP. The Vararam doesn't show any real gains on the dyno.

Anyway, you don't prove effectiveness on the dyno. You prove it on the track. Everyone I know with a Vararam agrees it makes a considerable difference. It's it's not because of the static pressure it builds up. It's because it's the only TRUE cold air intake available for the Corvette.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 AM
fishbust
Racer

Originally Posted by Ikester
Blackwing is the best. Solid and clean fitment
Another vote for Blackwing here but I would bet that if someone installed any one of the choices and closed the hood and you took it for a ride, you would not be able to tell which one you had.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Have been running the VRB2 for over a year now! I won't give it up until I go FI. We all drive Chevy's sportscar! Good thing Vararam isn't made by Goverment Motors or they would lose our order.

The VRB2 performs as advertised. When did any mod you bought install "perfectly"?

You can feel the Vararam - Seat of the Pants!

Buy anything else and lose - all things being equal!

Not that I know anything!

p.s. Never claimed to!
100%
Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep in mind the Halltechs, K&Ns, Blackwings etc are not cold air intakes. They still use the ambient air from the engine bay. They may flow better, and you might get some gains there, but not from colder air intake temps. The only true cold air intakes are the Honker, Vararam, the BPP one. If someone knows of more, post them here for future searches.

I have the VR and it showed zero difference on the dyno, but my top speed went from 147mph to 151mph at the track.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Vette.97
8th Gear

THANKS Guys, I just ordered VARARAM AIR INTAKE WITH POWER DUCT today.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette.97
THANKS Guys, I just ordered VARARAM AIR INTAKE WITH POWER DUCT today.
Power duct is kind of a waste of money, IMHO, unless you have a descreened MAF.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Vette.97
8th Gear

My car is stock, I just thought for an extra $55.00 I should be getting both at the same time.
$234 without power duct
$289 with power duct
Good deal??
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Here are your Choices

http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...kesystems.html

We sell a lot of the Vararam VR-B2
and
Halltech

Peace
Chip

Old 12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

My car is stock, I just thought for an extra $55.00 I should be getting both at the same time.
$234 without power duct
$289 with power duct
Good deal??
Honestly, I don't know if buying the power bridge matters on your car. They make sense on 02+ Z06s because of the descreened MAF, but the purpose of the power bridge is to reduce the crazy turbulence you get with the Vararam. A screen on your MAF does the same thing.

What I don't like about the power bridge is the fitment. It's a serious PITA to make it fit right without banging hard against your hood. The MAF is supposed to go after the bridge (sitting closer to your throttle body) which I also don't like. The people that put the bridge after the MAF are just wasting money. You won't gain anything other than stress of getting it to fit right. There's a lucky few that managed it without hassle, but I have no clue how they did it.

Personally, I have the stock air bridge even though I have a Z06. I've had zero issues other than some lean codes. I reflashed my computer with the right tuning for descreened Vararam usage. But the truth is I'd like to pick up a honeycomb Halltech screen.

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 12-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
LaredoZ28
Instructor

Ive got a halltech on my car with a 103mm card type mass air. It works really well with my setup
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
cobra3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cai

I just removed a cai from my 02 coupe that is a lot like the honker and bolts to the top of the shroud and pulls air in from the bottom. I bought a Vararam vr b2 and although I am not real happy with how well it fits ( fog lights dont line up) I have noticed with the hole in the shroud covered up it does run cooler. I have notice a bit of performance differance but I am just not happy with the way it fits , for the money it should fit better than it does but thats just my .02 cents .
The following users liked this post:
Jeffdenney (05-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Best air intake for C5?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 AM
lilicedout24
Racer

$234 without power duct
$289 with power duct
Good deal??
Where did you find them low prices?

And I see other guys saying something about de screening Maf? I have a 2004 so if I buy this I need Maf de screened? I have the power duct just need the cai
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

For the Vararam installers, make sure you address the gaps like shown in this pic. If you don't, you will be sucking unfiltered air through them.

Originally Posted by cobra3
( fog lights dont line up)
It's likely the up and down that's the issue? Try loosening the fog light bracket and moving the fog light so it lines up. There is also a screw that shows at the front you can use to tilt the lights up and down for alignment.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:37 AM
C5ZAM
Heel & Toe

Bringing up an old thread, what about BBK cold air intake? Any reviews on them? Pros? cons?

Quick Reply: Best air intake for C5?