C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best air intake for C5?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandra Bigwoode
Like the crap Varamadam makes in some s*hithole 3rd world country?
That's not what I'd call a quality filter, but the K&N versions appear to be very good.

Stock C5's and Z06's draw their intake air from the very front of the engine compartment well ahead of the radiator, so even in heavy slow traffic on a hot day they are getting outside ambient temperatures...
Z06s, because of their open front panels, do get the intake air temps down fairly quickly, but you are sadly mistaken if you think a C5 coupe or vert is ingesting outside (ambient temperature) air during stop & go and slow-moving conditions.
I used a Car Chip data logger to record intake air temps during these types of conditions and before adding my CAI mod, intake temps soared over 140F. Even after increasing speeds to 70+ MPH and sustaining those speeds for 20 minutes, intake temps never returned to ambient. By comparison, temps dropped rapidly with the outside air being pushed past the air filter via my scoop and lower radiator cover cutout. When reviewing the reams of data from the Car Chip, I was shocked at how long heat soak lingered without that CAI mod.

So, like you are at WOT in slow moving traffic on a hot day? And you really need that extra 10 RWHP...? Puh-leeeeezzzzeee!
Even after my car had exited slow-moving traffic and was entering the highway, hot engine bay air that exceeded 120F was being pulled into the intake. So yes, as I was accelerating onto the highway, my engine power output was "dialed back" by the ECU.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:18 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Volant Twin Cone: This system gives you more open filter surface area than any stock box does and is well suited to an engine bay that gets cold air in from the fog light panels, as the filters are more or less in the air flow path. $265
Just wondering, when you say "an engine bay that gets cold air from the fog light panels" are you referring to those $60 fog light covers that have holes throughout to let air in?

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, what does it take to make cold air from fog light area go into engine bay? Just basically the removal of that cover and replace it with something that lets air in?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

The Vararam is the only system to consistantly provide measured performance gains.
The Calloway Honker is a beter fit and finish, but costs close to twice as much. Still, I don't know where there is such an aversion to the Vararam's quality. The system I got fit perfectly and I've had no issues, at all.

The above two are the only 2 "true" cold air intakes on the market for the C5. No offence to any of the other systems out there, as they are improvements from the stock units, but none can match the performance of the above.

And Dave68 is completely correct. I've measured temps in a variety of situations with HPTuners and in stock C5s, IAT's can go through the roof and start retarding timing very quickly. As someone snidely remarked, what good is that in stop and go traffic. While true, it's in high speed applications where the two above really start to shine.

There's verified vendor data where just adding a Vararam (no extra tuning) took .4 sec off his quartermile time, in worse air conditions.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Originally Posted by nj02vette
The Vararam is the only system to consistantly provide measured performance gains.
The Calloway Honker is a beter fit and finish, but costs close to twice as much. Still, I don't know where there is such an aversion to the Vararam's quality. The system I got fit perfectly and I've had no issues, at all.

The above two are the only 2 "true" cold air intakes on the market for the C5. No offence to any of the other systems out there, as they are improvements from the stock units, but none can match the performance of the above.

And Dave68 is completely correct. I've measured temps in a variety of situations with HPTuners and in stock C5s, IAT's can go through the roof and start retarding timing very quickly. As someone snidely remarked, what good is that in stop and go traffic. While true, it's in high speed applications where the two above really start to shine.

There's verified vendor data where just adding a Vararam (no extra tuning) took .4 sec off his quartermile time, in worse air conditions.
Well there is no doubt vararam is the best bang for buck if you drag race.

As far as the quality, I've heard that they moved the factory to a different country and thus there has been many fitment issues. If you do a search, you can find a very detailed thread that has pictures included. The holes for screws and stuff didn't line up.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by karateboi87
Just wondering, when you say "an engine bay that gets cold air from the fog light panels" are you referring to those $60 fog light covers that have holes throughout to let air in?

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, what does it take to make cold air from fog light area go into engine bay? Just basically the removal of that cover and replace it with something that lets air in?
Yes, the pre-cutout panels are exactly what I am talking about. Essentially, these simulate the Z06 setup. While not as fast when it comes to pulling air intake temps down after an engine bay heatsoak as a true CAI or my mod, it still is much better than not doing anything to a stock coupe or vert factory setup.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:50 AM
karateboi87
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave68
Yes, the pre-cutout panels are exactly what I am talking about. Essentially, these simulate the Z06 setup. While not as fast when it comes to pulling air intake temps down after an engine bay heatsoak as a true CAI or my mod, it still is much better than not doing anything to a stock coupe or vert factory setup.
I see. I heard the only problem with it is dust brought into engine bay, but probably does help lower engine bay temp quite a bit.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
0Stealth0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vararam is what I got on my car and it is perfect
Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

calloway makes the best product but you will prob be happy with any that you choose like everyone else here.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have this Honker knock off for sale. It is actually the MTI lid:

[IMG][/IMG]

It also includes the power duct (not pictured yet). This comes with a shroud that is already cut and rivets installed and a new filter. Best deal out there. $285 shipped. I have an oil cooler installed and this will not fit my car. Let me know if interested.

This would be a nice way to go if someone wanted to use it. Comes with the shroud already cut so you can set your stock one aside to reverse if wanted later and don't have to do the work of cutting it yourself. Anyone price a Calaway Honker? Over $500 I think!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Blackwing is the best. Solid and clean fitment
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM
98vettedave
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0Stealth0
Vararam is what I got on my car and it is perfect
I guess so if you disregard the turbulent (dirt air) that is produced over the nose of all C5's. In my opinion that is less than a desirable condition (air flow turbulence) from a engineering point of view. But as we see everyday on these forums,I bought it so it must be the best product on the market.

All CAI that use forced ambient air into the intake system will improve the performance over all enclosed intake systems period. Considering that the real benefit of a CAI comes on after the 300' mark it's very difficult to place an actual number (increase in HP) on the various units. Personally I doubt if there Is a two HP difference in one unit to an other...so pick your poison and be happy with it.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can hear the Vortex Rammer sometimes, but since I got the car with the intake on it already, I have nothing to compare the difference between stock and the CIA. I'd imagine that it's a noticeable difference, but in my honest opinion, it doesn't matter.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
vettandtyphoon1
Burning Brakes

talking about hearing.. i put the callaway honker intake on mine.. and MAN does the ****er suck..lol almost makes a whining toys like a blower/turbo
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Another CAI thread I had almost started to miss these, almost as much as the header wars.

I have a Vararam, and, removed my front fog light covers and just run Z06 screens on my coupe. I never had any fitment issues with mine, just takes a little patience to line it up. I had a friend who had iinstalled his already , he helped me and we had it done in an hour. Some people get their panties all in a bunch to0 easily if you cant install these mods in 12 min You learn very quickly modding any car and using aftermarket parts, it is far from an exact science.

Vram and honker have shown true results time and time again. Those 2 are the best IMO
Old 08-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I run a vararam and couldnt be happier... If you are hands on and enjoy that type of stuff the install isnt that bad just take into account what you are getting into... You wont be disappointed with the results... and IMO you may want to go with Z06 grilles with it this cleans up the look

Rob
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Honker or Honker Knock off as above. Haltech, Cyclone Something that goes thought the radiator shroud as above. Makes for a shorter single air intake tube to the TB.

Not all of us are V-ram fans,
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Steve20
Pro

when you say the VRam fit perfectly- I assume you are referring to how the pieces fit together under the hood-not the air filter to housing fit, correct?

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Best air intake for C5?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

Does the vararam need any additional parts to install? Would the honker be a better idea for a daily driver?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

The Vararam doesn't need anything extra to install and is perfect for a daily driver. I DD mine 6-9 months running a Vararam.

Contact me and I will set you up with one.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

I just bought a 98 coupe so when I put headers on it do I have to be worried about heat? do I have to coat them? I'm just torn between the Honker and Vararam, even with all the threads I still don't know. Vararam seems to be more powerful, but I'm worried with the rain, and the "cheap" design setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best air intake for C5?