C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:38 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WOW! Nice insulation stuff. What is it and where do you get it?? Thats on my list of must do!

Thanks

BC
Bill, I used a roll of Floor and Tunnel Shield from Summit Racing. It seems to be the same stuff used on the 'pre-wrapped' tunnel plates.

-Jay
Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by iced98lx

I don't have cats, but I also dont' have those issues. Had I not been putting on headers, I would have left mine alone, they do serve a purpose, none of of which are to stop exhaust fumes from entering the car or prevent backfires. Your cats could be clogged if they're getting super hot, but the car will pop a CEL if it gets hot enough. I'd try the insulation first and a tunnel plate... My tunnel still gets plenty warm on long trips without the cats.
On a factory exhaust system, if he remove ONLY the cats, I promise he will have serious fumes and backfiring. Been there done that, got the t-shirt............
Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 PM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are high flow cats worth buying ? Had stock cats removed to much popping and a lot more smell so I put stock cats back on. Just wanting a little more sound with my catbacks.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I was stock / catless, ZERO back firing on deceleration, smells like the cars I drove when growing up.

Now I have long tubes, cam, corsa's, tuned, and still catless. The exhaust note is pure music!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

I had these beauties made for off road purposes, so I can swap the cats in/out. It's like having Clark Kent mode or Superman lol.

Quick Reply: Removing catalytic converters