C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Already running but starter keeps going

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you have the dealer installed GM recall K harness, remove it and reconnect it up like it was from the factory. Then see if you can get it to work. If it works,,,,,,GET A CLB!!!

BC
Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Twisted99
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If you have the dealer installed GM recall K harness, remove it and reconnect it up like it was from the factory. Then see if you can get it to work. If it works,,,,,,GET A CLB!!!

BC
Where do I find the "K" harness? Will there be a "K" harness if I had the locking plate removed?

THANKS for all the help.

edit:
found the K harness, and disconnected it, same thing "service column lock" car shuts off if I try to move it.

What I don't understand is there is a date on the tag for the K harness. 6/11/04. I was told by the dealer in 11/08 that NO recall had been done.

Last edited by Twisted99; 09-07-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Twisted99
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Followed Bill Curlee's how to here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

and I think (HOPE and PRAY ) both my issues (starter engaging when car is running and service column lock) have been solved.
After cleaning the contacts, I got the "pull key and wait 10 seconds" once. Put every thing back together and after 3 starts, no problems. I ordered the CLB today based on info from 8VETTE7 on the column lock thread, and the guys at Corvettes of Huston.

THANKS to everyone here. This is the most informative/helpful/knowledgeable forum I have EVER been on.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Dirtirobi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this post started years ago but it helped me allot, so I'm going to add my experience today to it in hopes of helping others. Started My 01 C5 this morn and starter kept running even after key turned off and removed. Immediately disconnected the battery just to stop the starter. Looked up info here then removed starter checking wires as I went. Don't think dropping the exhaust pipes on a Vette on ramps is easy either. --- found starter gear extended and would not retract on its own. Took to auto parts store to have it tested. It will run but not retract when power stopped. Replaced with a new starter and connected wires. Ran test...BINGO! Mine was a bad starter! hope this helps

Quick Reply: Already running but starter keeps going