C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
DeBaGo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default harmonic balancer help

Well belts are squealing again. I replaced them this summer so I thought a pulley maybe. It looks like the balancer is wobbling, but maybe its just an optical illusion? I cant see that the rubber hub is seperating, nor is the pulley walking out. Also the belt isnt walking side to side at all.
The tensioner pulley does have play in it and seems to be moving when the car is running.

crappy cellphone pics

and crappy cellphone video
Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 AM
DeBaGo
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
A common problem on the aging C5's ( they been out of production for 5+ years and your 2000 is about to celebrate 10 years) is that the harmonic balancer begins to fail. Either the balancer bolt begins to loosen and the balancer begins to walk off the snout of the crank and/or the rubber center of the balancer begins failing causing the balancer to wobble. Do a search on this problem ( harmonic balancer) to read lots about the issue and what it takes to replace these yourself if you have the tools.

There are plenty of after market suppliers for much better harmonic balancers and their prices are compareable to GM replacement part. If your tensioner pulley has slop in it you should probably start there as it should not have any slop.
Thanks. I have read plenty of posts on it. But mine doesnt seem to have the common issues. I am hoping the tensioner IS the problem, as I do NOT want to drop the steering rack........at least not until time for a cam.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:59 PM
VET-005
Racer

Its not always the belts. I have had the same issue with the idler pullies on the A/c and the main belt causing the squeeling. Best is to remove the A/C belt and see if it goes away. Check the idler bearings feel smooth when you rotate them by hand. I replaced the A/C idlers on my car and problem went away.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 PM
stunter steve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While trying to find where my squeek was I noticed my balancer had a slight wobble but the bolt was still tight and the rubber center was still in tact. I didn't want to take a chance so I had it replaced by a chevy dealership and it's a good thing I did.
Even though the balancer appeared to be in tact on the car, once they took it off you could see that it was in fact separating. The new balancer DOES NOT wobble at all but it wasn't cheap to replace. No more squeeking!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try some Gatorback belts if the Balancer and tensioner check out OK.
They don't squeal.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Carcass
Try some Gatorback belts if the Balancer and tensioner check out OK.
They don't squeal.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your dampener doesn't look that bad and from the pictures looks normal. I run my car HARD and couldn't take the chance of the ring separation. I purchased a Power bond Damper and couldn't be happier.

Its a really nice piece and works well for the money. Its also slotted for a pin if you need or desire to install one where the OEM isn't.

I would change the tensioner. If the tensioner is moving in and out thru it's tension range theres some wobble in the dampener.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To harmonic balancer help

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer help