C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice on a good paint spray gun?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
2_99_c5s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on a good paint spray gun?

I recently got rear ended in my daily driver (Pewter C5). I'm planning on taking the bumper from my garage queen (Silver C5) and sanding/painting it pewter and putting it on the DD. I also just ordered a tiger shark bumper for the silver one which I will have to paint as well. I'm planning on doing all of the painting myself. And eventually painting the entire pewter car matte black. I have almost no experience in body work but figure now is a great time to learn. (I figure worst comes to worst, I mess up and do it again). I'm buying a 3hp 60 gallon compressor and need to buy a spray gun. I know very little about spray guns so I need some advice. I need to know what spray guns you recommend that are easy to use (will give the best results for a beginner). I don't want to spend $500. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you buy the compressor, find out which gun you are going to buy. You have to make sure the compressor can flow enough air for the gun to work well. I can't give any advice on the gun, but am very interested in the advice (for the same reasons). I do know a cheapo gun is only suitable for house painting and will make a mess of car paint.

When I looked into the compressor angle, I determined I needed a fixed install compressor to get enough flow for a quality gun.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will get better responses if you post this in the paint and body section. i am still old school and am painting with the same binks 7 i have used for over 20 years......
Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

whatever you do, make sure the gun you buy is not made in china or any other country that mass produces crappy products. those are all complete pieces of crap and a waste of money. also get some in line filters to remove particles, oils, and moisture. if you have never done body work before, expect to redo it a few times before it comes out right. you may want to start out painting some other items besides your car before you paint it to learn how much to put on there and avoid runs.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
TonyVette396
Instructor

The DeVilbiss StartingLine guns and the Sharpe Finex guns are both good-quality, inexpensive guns. I know because I have used them both alot. My primary gun is a $600 Satajet RP, but these inexpensive guns give 90% of the performance for about $125. For basecoat/clearcoat get a gun with a 1.3 or 1.4 fluid tip. You can spray primer or sealer with that tip too, but you might have to thin it a bit more than recommended.
If you're a true newbie to painting cars, get books on the subject before you start your project. Better yet find a friend who can show you the basics. It's a complicated "art" so be prepared for some screw-ups.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to be 100% happy with the results--Let a Pro do it
Old 01-07-2010, 04:07 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Go to the local body shop supply house and look. I've painted entire cars with 11gal compressors, it's easier (and less noisey) with large tanks. If you plan on painting a LOT, look into HVLP guns. If your compressor has the volume (and the correct hose), HVLP is a good option. By the time you buy the gun/supplies/paint/resperator/buffer/compounds... you will be in for MORE than $500.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Favorite
------------------------------------------------
7 SPRAY GUN 36SS X 36SD
Item #: BNK 6100-1808-9
Mfg Item#:BNK 6100-1808-9
List Price:$534.00
Your Price:$396.05
------------------------------------------------
I also have Binks #7 knockoff, even the parts are interchangeable, and it sprays just as good as the real Binks #7. I think I paid about $40 for it many years ago. If I were buying one today, I would probably buy a gravity feed HVLP. You've got some good advice from all the forum members, so don't practice on that bumper you're changing. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

Originally Posted by TonyVette396
The DeVilbiss StartingLine guns and the Sharpe Finex guns are both good-quality, inexpensive guns. I know because I have used them both alot. My primary gun is a $600 Satajet RP, but these inexpensive guns give 90% of the performance for about $125. For basecoat/clearcoat get a gun with a 1.3 or 1.4 fluid tip. You can spray primer or sealer with that tip too, but you might have to thin it a bit more than recommended.
If you're a true newbie to painting cars, get books on the subject before you start your project. Better yet find a friend who can show you the basics. It's a complicated "art" so be prepared for some screw-ups.

true painting is a art, but it is not complicated....
Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM
2_99_c5s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I think I'm going to order the DeVilbiss starting line spray system. It consists of 3 gravity fed HVLP guns two full size (1.3mm&1.8mm tip) and one mini spray gun (1mm tip). I found it new on Ebay for $150. Also ordering a 3hp 60gal 240v compressor.

As for the practice, I have a friend who's gonna walk me through it. I'm gonna practice on the cracked stock bumper and a stock c5 hood that I have laying around. All I know is that from now on I'm never gonna have to pay someone else to paint again.

Wish me luck ::

Last edited by 2_99_c5s; 01-08-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Prep and buffing are the really hard parts. Learning to spray if fairly straight forward. Prep it the time consuming part and color sanding/buffing are the really tough part, you can ruin a paint job in seconds with a buffing pad.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 PM
TonyVette396
Instructor

Check nationaltoolwarehouse.com for that DeVilbiss setup. DEV-802342 is the part #. $101.33

Get notified of new replies

To Any advice on a good paint spray gun?

Quick Reply: Any advice on a good paint spray gun?