C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is it, Multi Function Switch or Headlamp Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Default Which is it, Multi Function Switch or Headlamp Control Module?

My headlights do not turn on or open up.

Before anyone asks, Yes is did search the forums. I know the problem is either the Multi Function Switch on the steering column or the Headlamp control module.

But I have a question as I have not seen my particular case mentioned.

When I turn the multi function switch to the headlamps ON position everything works as normal(Interior lights and taillights work, turn signals and cruise control too) except the headlamps DO NOT come up and the headlights DO NOT turn on. Neither the high beams or the low beams are getting power at the bulbs. (I tested with a multimeter)

From my understanding, the Headlamp Control Module ONLY controls the operation of the headlamp motors and not the headlights themselves. If this is true, then the issue is most certainly the Multi Function Switch.

Can anyone confirm if the Headlamp Control Module only controls the headlight motors?

Thanks
-Taz
Old 01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
Can anyone confirm if the Headlamp Control Module only controls the headlight motors?

Thanks
-Taz
Yes. I hope you have alleviated other possibilities...i.e. wiring, fuses, etc.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

PM sent.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

yup I have checked all the fuses and relays and even replaced the 20amp headlamp circuit breaker just to make sure it was not faulty.

I checked all the wiring under the hood and there was no apparent damage or loss of ground. When I checked the voltage at the light bulbs it was not getting 12v. So I tested further back checking the larger plug that controls all the lights and the motors. I had power to the motors, but not the light bulbs. So my final guess was that the Multi Function switch had gone bad and since the lights were not getting the signal to turn on, the buckets would stay down(which makes perfect sense on how the headlamp control module would work).

Looking back in the past, I have had a recent issue with my right turn signal intermittently working yet the bulb was fine. Also, the headlamp buckets would sometimes fail to go down and would require an additional on/off to make them go down. And sometime the headlights would work perfectly but I would get the annoying chime as if the headlights were still on when I would shut the car off.

Thank you for the help! You have confirmed my diagnosis. Now the dilemma, do I just order a new switch or do I disassemble my current one and try to repair. This would be a minor project compared to my capabilities, but I am not sure I want the headache of taking it all apart. Hmmmmmmm

Anyhow, Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
BOTTOMS UP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are repairable , do a search
there is a very good thread on it
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

I took apart the multi function switch today. I found the headlamp contacts were not making contact so I cleaned them up and bent them a little bit following the DIY thread on the forum.

Headlights work just fine again.

Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Which is it, Multi Function Switch or Headlamp Control Module?

Quick Reply: Which is it, Multi Function Switch or Headlamp Control Module?