C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade - $199 shipped with labor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 PM
civlant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D
Lucky is 100% correct. It's not just Lucky's opinion; it is what the service manual spells out to do for good reasons. Suggesting to others to do it wrong is bad advice.
So what exactly makes it bad advice? I'm not trying to be a dick here just looking for explanation of what makes it such a bad method to do. I'm not alone on this either. Several of the heads/cam swap guides for the LSx online use this method (so it's not just my opinion either). I'm not saying they're all correct just looking for why you guys think its so bad when it's been proven to work.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM
DeltaBravo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to all for the advice. Since it doesn't take much more effort, I will nudge the engine over 4 times for removal and 4 times for re-installation. I don't like to take chances, and the extra time is minimal.

Dennis
Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by civlant
So what exactly makes it bad advice? I'm not trying to be a dick here just looking for explanation of what makes it such a bad method to do. I'm not alone on this either. Several of the heads/cam swap guides for the LSx online use this method (so it's not just my opinion either). I'm not saying they're all correct just looking for why you guys think its so bad when it's been proven to work.
Because someone writes something on the web even if it appears in more than one place on the web doesn’t mean it is correct or proper. Even here on this forum you will find miss information because someone has read something somewhere and shares it. They might even believe what they are posting is correct because they followed the bad advice and got away with it or at least thought they did. The Corvette Forum in my opinion has a lot of sharp people that will usually catch and correct miss information.

As far as the method you were promoting, I’ll just point out one of the main reasons for it being a bad idea, for the rest do a search on the forum to find the others. While tightening the rocker hold down bolt with the lifter on the nose (high lift part of the lobe) there is minimum thread engagement in comparison to having the lifter on the base circle. This causes excess loading on the threads in the head. It doesn’t take that much more effort to rotate the engine to allow torquing the bolts on the base circle as the manual tells you to do.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

....As far as the method you were promoting, I’ll just point out one of the main reasons for it being a bad idea, for the rest do a search on the forum to find the others. While tightening the rocker hold down bolt with the lifter on the nose (high lift part of the lobe) there is minimum thread engagement in comparison to having the lifter on the base circle. This causes excess loading on the threads in the head. It doesn’t take that much more effort to rotate the engine to allow torquing the bolts on the base circle as the manual tells you to do.

Furthermore, the heads are aluminum, although I don't know for sure if the holes for the rockers are heli-coiled or not. If they aren't, that's a LOT of torque you're applying to an aluminum thread, which is VERY risky. It might be easier to just slam them ALL in and go back later and re-torque them, but the ill effects could be costly.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucky is 100% correct. Suggesting to others to do it wrong is bad advice.
we get a lot of that here.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM
civlant
Racer

^What you guys are saying makes sense. I wonder if there have been any ill effects (I haven't seen any on here or tech over the past several years). I do like to visit over here occasionally since there's far more vette-specific stuff obviously but it seems like the knowledgeable people are not as common IMO compared with the other board or maybe you guys just get tired of correcting everyone! Thanks for the clarification about the rockers. I wonder if it would be worth it to loosen and retorque them since I'm in the middle of a clutch swap and can rotate the flywheel pretty easily.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

^What you guys are saying makes sense. I wonder if there have been any ill effects (I haven't seen any on here or tech over the past several years). I do like to visit over here occasionally since there's far more vette-specific stuff obviously but it seems like the knowledgeable people are not as common IMO compared with the other board or maybe you guys just get tired of correcting everyone! Thanks for the clarification about the rockers. I wonder if it would be worth it to loosen and retorque them since I'm in the middle of a clutch swap and can rotate the flywheel pretty easily.
The issue really has nothing to do with achieving the proper torque value; it is the risk of damage that can occur while torquing the hold down bolt while on the nose of the cam. The procedures in the repair manual and the engine assembly plant are developed with more engineering deliberation than most people would ever imagine. There are risk assessment studies that are part of the procedure development. There are many ways to accomplish a task, knowing the best way with the least risk takes a lot of work but well worth the effort. Following the manuals procedures gives you that advantage with little loss of anything other than maybe a little time.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

The issue really has nothing to do with achieving the proper torque value; it is the risk of damage that can occur while torquing the hold down bolt while on the nose of the cam. The procedures in the repair manual and the engine assembly plant are developed with more engineering deliberation than most people would ever imagine. There are risk assessment studies that are part of the procedure development. There are many ways to accomplish a task, knowing the best way with the least risk takes a lot of work but well worth the effort. Following the manuals procedures gives you that advantage with little loss of anything other than maybe a little time.
These are the same guys who tell manual transmission owners the transmission fluid is lifetime and theres no need to change it. It makes you scratch your head sometimes....
Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
civlant
Racer

Originally Posted by 81c3
These are the same guys who tell manual transmission owners the transmission fluid is lifetime and theres no need to change it. It makes you scratch your head sometimes....
Actually no, but thanks for stereotyping me into that group of dumbasses.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Actually no, but thanks for stereotyping me into that group of dumbasses.
You took that totally the wrong way. I meant the GM guys are the guys telling us not to change our tranny fluid, not you. I find it intersting that so much R&D can go into the installation procedure of a rocker arm, then the same intelligent guys can tell us manual transmission fluid never needs to be changed.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 AM
civlant
Racer

Originally Posted by 81c3
You took that totally the wrong way. I meant the GM guys are the guys telling us not to change our tranny fluid, not you. I find it intersting that so much R&D can go into the installation procedure of a rocker arm, then the same intelligent guys can tell us manual transmission fluid never needs to be changed.
Lol - I see what you're saying. It is ironic that GM might put a lot of thought into one thing and then tell you something like that about the trans fluid.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

What's ironic, is that you require no justification for doing something the wrong way, provided you are in good company......

450 sheep jump to their deaths in Turkey

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) — First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported.

In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a billowy white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher and the fall more cushioned, Aksam reported.

"There's nothing we can do. They're all wasted," Nevzat Bayhan, a member of one of 26 families whose sheep were grazing together in the herd, was quoted as saying by Aksam.

The estimated loss to families in the town of Gevas, located in Van province in eastern Turkey, tops $100,000, a significant amount of money in a country where average GDP per head is around $2,700.

"Every family had an average of 20 sheep," Aksam quoted another villager, Abdullah Hazar as saying. "But now only a few families have sheep left. It's going to be hard for us."
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
civlant
Racer

Originally Posted by lucky131969
What's ironic, is that you require no justification for doing something the wrong way, provided you are in good company......
I don't think most people know when a guide is telling them to do it the wrong way. If I had known there was a better (safer for the threads at least) way to torque down the rockers then I would have done so. I've already admitted that you guys are right - what more do you want?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
Why just LS1/LS2? Are the LS6 rocker arms different? Just not a benefit?

Thanks,
Dave
The LS6 rockers are the same. This works with LS1/LS2/LS3/LS6/LS7/LS9 rockers.

Originally Posted by DeltaBravo
Thanks, Seth!

What's involved in taking the rockers off and then replacing them? Anything special, like tools? It's been a few decades since I did any engine work, so I'm a tad rusty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Dennis
Nothing special required, just basic tools and a torque wrench.

Seth
Old 06-18-2010, 02:43 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

These are finally off back order! In stock ready to ship.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

yella terra's dont have this issue, do they? kind of torn on if i need YT's with a mild head/cam car or if this would suffice..

Get notified of new replies

To Comp Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade - $199 shipped with labor

Old 11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sean.b
yella terra's dont have this issue, do they? kind of torn on if i need YT's with a mild head/cam car or if this would suffice..
No they don't. The stock rockers work great.

Thanks
Seth
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Thanks for your orders!

Quick Reply: Comp Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade - $199 shipped with labor