C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Module Whereabouts

Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
C5jarhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlight Module Whereabouts

OK, I give up.
I was having issues with the headlights not coming on as they are supposed to. I bought a headlight module off a forum member (last year actually) but never put it in. I always got the lights to come on eventually.
Now, I’d like to install it but I honestly can’t find where it is mounted.
Sounds dumb, I know. But I feel smarter sending this message off to the vast Forum knowledge base instead of crawling all over the ‘vette. (again).
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by C5jarhead
OK, I give up.
I was having issues with the headlights not coming on as they are supposed to. I bought a headlight module off a forum member (last year actually) but never put it in. I always got the lights to come on eventually.
Now, I’d like to install it but I honestly can’t find where it is mounted.
Sounds dumb, I know. But I feel smarter sending this message off to the vast Forum knowledge base instead of crawling all over the ‘vette. (again).
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
The headlights not coming on, and not popping up are two different problems. Which one do you have....or do you have both?

The control module is located under the right headlight assembly..mounted to the bulkhead.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
The headlights not coming on, and not popping up are two different problems. Which one do you have....or do you have both?

The control module is located under the right headlight assembly..mounted to the bulkhead.

Document ID# 219626
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlamp Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the passenger side front floor kick up panel cover to access the instrument panel (IP) electrical center.

Remove the headlamp circuit breaker from the IP electrical center.
Open the hood.

Raise the RH headlamp manually.
Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** counterclockwise to raise the headlamp.
Disconnect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector from the forward lamp wiring harness.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.

Release the brake caliper cooling duct from the front fascia and reposition the duct.

Disconnect the electrical connectors from the headlamp control module.

Remove the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.
Remove the module from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

Install the headlamp control module into position on the headlamp bracket.
Install the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.

Connect the electrical connectors to the module.

Position the brake caliper cooling duct to the front fascia and push to secure.
Install the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.
Lower the vehicle.

Connect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector to the forward lamp wiring harness.
Lower the RH headlamp manually. Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** clockwise to lower the headlamp.

Install the headlamp circuit breaker into the IP electrical center.
Install the floor kick up panel covering the IP electrical center.
Close the hood.
The following users liked this post:
old stingray (04-28-2016)
Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
C5jarhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys!

Now I don't feel so dumb for not finding it.......

To answer one of the questions above..

The problem I am having is that the lights don’t come on when I want them to, only when it gets dark enough. For instance, if I turn the lights on at dusk, while driving, when the instrument panel is difficult to see, nothing happens until it gets dark enough for the light sensor says it too dark. Then they pop up, and they do go back down after I shut the car down. When I got an inspection sticker, I couldn’t turn the lights on without releasing the E-brake. I know that’s connected to the circuitry, but I should still be able to turn the lights on at will, correct?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by C5jarhead
Thanks guys!

Now I don't feel so dumb for not finding it.......

To answer one of the questions above..

The problem I am having is that the lights don’t come on when I want them to, only when it gets dark enough. For instance, if I turn the lights on at dusk, while driving, when the instrument panel is difficult to see, nothing happens until it gets dark enough for the light sensor says it too dark. Then they pop up, and they do go back down after I shut the car down. When I got an inspection sticker, I couldn’t turn the lights on without releasing the E-brake. I know that’s connected to the circuitry, but I should still be able to turn the lights on at will, correct?

Your description tells me that your headlight control module is functioning normally, so there is no need to change it. The twilight sentinel is tied in with the e-brake, so the lights will not come on automatically with the e-brake engaged. You most likely have an issue with the MFS. Do a search, there are many threads on troubleshooting, and repair v/s replacement.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:16 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM

Document ID# 219626
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlamp Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the passenger side front floor kick up panel cover to access the instrument panel (IP) electrical center.

Remove the headlamp circuit breaker from the IP electrical center.
Open the hood.

Raise the RH headlamp manually.
Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** counterclockwise to raise the headlamp.
Disconnect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector from the forward lamp wiring harness.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.

Release the brake caliper cooling duct from the front fascia and reposition the duct.

Disconnect the electrical connectors from the headlamp control module.

Remove the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.
Remove the module from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

Install the headlamp control module into position on the headlamp bracket.
Install the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.

Connect the electrical connectors to the module.

Position the brake caliper cooling duct to the front fascia and push to secure.
Install the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.
Lower the vehicle.

Connect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector to the forward lamp wiring harness.
Lower the RH headlamp manually. Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** clockwise to lower the headlamp.

Install the headlamp circuit breaker into the IP electrical center.
Install the floor kick up panel covering the IP electrical center.
Close the hood.
Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Module Whereabouts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight Module Whereabouts