Headlight Module Whereabouts - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Module Whereabouts

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
C5jarhead
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
C5jarhead's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Tewksbury Massachusetts
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Headlight Module Whereabouts

OK, I give up.
I was having issues with the headlights not coming on as they are supposed to. I bought a headlight module off a forum member (last year actually) but never put it in. I always got the lights to come on eventually.
Now, Iíd like to install it but I honestly canít find where it is mounted.
Sounds dumb, I know. But I feel smarter sending this message off to the vast Forum knowledge base instead of crawling all over the Ďvette. (again).
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
C5jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
lucky131969
Tech Contributor
 
lucky131969's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Posts: 15,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5jarhead View Post
OK, I give up.
I was having issues with the headlights not coming on as they are supposed to. I bought a headlight module off a forum member (last year actually) but never put it in. I always got the lights to come on eventually.
Now, I’d like to install it but I honestly can’t find where it is mounted.
Sounds dumb, I know. But I feel smarter sending this message off to the vast Forum knowledge base instead of crawling all over the ‘vette. (again).
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
The headlights not coming on, and not popping up are two different problems. Which one do you have....or do you have both?

The control module is located under the right headlight assembly..mounted to the bulkhead.
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
87SAM
CF Senior Member
 
87SAM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 3,441
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky131969 View Post
The headlights not coming on, and not popping up are two different problems. Which one do you have....or do you have both?

The control module is located under the right headlight assembly..mounted to the bulkhead.

Document ID# 219626
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlamp Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the passenger side front floor kick up panel cover to access the instrument panel (IP) electrical center.

Remove the headlamp circuit breaker from the IP electrical center.
Open the hood.

Raise the RH headlamp manually.
Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** counterclockwise to raise the headlamp.
Disconnect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector from the forward lamp wiring harness.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.

Release the brake caliper cooling duct from the front fascia and reposition the duct.

Disconnect the electrical connectors from the headlamp control module.

Remove the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.
Remove the module from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

Install the headlamp control module into position on the headlamp bracket.
Install the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.

Connect the electrical connectors to the module.

Position the brake caliper cooling duct to the front fascia and push to secure.
Install the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.
Lower the vehicle.

Connect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector to the forward lamp wiring harness.
Lower the RH headlamp manually. Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** clockwise to lower the headlamp.

Install the headlamp circuit breaker into the IP electrical center.
Install the floor kick up panel covering the IP electrical center.
Close the hood.
87SAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 87SAM For This Useful Post:
old stingray (04-28-2016)
Old 05-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
C5jarhead
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
C5jarhead's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Tewksbury Massachusetts
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks guys!

Now I don't feel so dumb for not finding it.......

To answer one of the questions above..

The problem I am having is that the lights donít come on when I want them to, only when it gets dark enough. For instance, if I turn the lights on at dusk, while driving, when the instrument panel is difficult to see, nothing happens until it gets dark enough for the light sensor says it too dark. Then they pop up, and they do go back down after I shut the car down. When I got an inspection sticker, I couldnít turn the lights on without releasing the E-brake. I know thatís connected to the circuitry, but I should still be able to turn the lights on at will, correct?

C5jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
lucky131969
Tech Contributor
 
lucky131969's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Posts: 15,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5jarhead View Post
Thanks guys!

Now I don't feel so dumb for not finding it.......

To answer one of the questions above..

The problem I am having is that the lights donít come on when I want them to, only when it gets dark enough. For instance, if I turn the lights on at dusk, while driving, when the instrument panel is difficult to see, nothing happens until it gets dark enough for the light sensor says it too dark. Then they pop up, and they do go back down after I shut the car down. When I got an inspection sticker, I couldnít turn the lights on without releasing the E-brake. I know thatís connected to the circuitry, but I should still be able to turn the lights on at will, correct?


Your description tells me that your headlight control module is functioning normally, so there is no need to change it. The twilight sentinel is tied in with the e-brake, so the lights will not come on automatically with the e-brake engaged. You most likely have an issue with the MFS. Do a search, there are many threads on troubleshooting, and repair v/s replacement.
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
old stingray
CF Senior Member
 
old stingray's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Posts: 3,743
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87SAM View Post

Document ID# 219626
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlamp Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the passenger side front floor kick up panel cover to access the instrument panel (IP) electrical center.

Remove the headlamp circuit breaker from the IP electrical center.
Open the hood.

Raise the RH headlamp manually.
Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** counterclockwise to raise the headlamp.
Disconnect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector from the forward lamp wiring harness.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.

Release the brake caliper cooling duct from the front fascia and reposition the duct.

Disconnect the electrical connectors from the headlamp control module.

Remove the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.
Remove the module from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

Install the headlamp control module into position on the headlamp bracket.
Install the nuts mounting the module to the headlamp bracket.

Connect the electrical connectors to the module.

Position the brake caliper cooling duct to the front fascia and push to secure.
Install the front fascia lower closeout panel. Refer to Close Out Panel - Front Bumper Fascia Lower in Bumpers.
Lower the vehicle.

Connect the RH headlamp wiring harness electrical connector to the forward lamp wiring harness.
Lower the RH headlamp manually. Turn the headlamp motor/actuator manual control **** clockwise to lower the headlamp.

Install the headlamp circuit breaker into the IP electrical center.
Install the floor kick up panel covering the IP electrical center.
Close the hood.
Thanks.
old stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Headlight Module Whereabouts
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Headlight Door Control Module B_Crocket C4 Tech/Performance 1 05-17-2017 12:10 PM
    Peculiar Headlight Pop-up Problem vipmiller803 C5 Tech 5 03-24-2017 04:50 PM
    Headlight Issues BSTANG C5 Tech 2 01-17-2017 08:33 PM
    92 headlight actuator module Blessed86vette C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted 5 08-22-2016 08:40 PM
    Halloween gremlin in headlights sailorsteve C4 General Discussion 54 02-13-2016 11:46 AM


    Tags
    2001, actuator, c5, control, corvette, headlamp, headlight, headlights, inspection, installing, location, module, open, replacement, sticker

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: