C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rockers or not ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:36 AM
omegac1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller rockers or not ???

I am installing LG headers right now so I have my 2003 apart. I was wondering since the hood is popped, if it would be benefical to change my stock rockers to Yella Tera Ultra lights 1.7 ratio? Do I have to change anything else in the valve train like springs or push rods to use these? How much HP would I gain over stock rockers? Other mods are: Blackwing intake, 85mm TB, LG long tubes with high flow cats, Borla stinger catback, and LS6 intake.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by omegac1
I am installing LG headers right now so I have my 2003 apart. I was wondering since the hood is popped, if it would be benefical to change my stock rockers to Yella Tera Ultra lights 1.7 ratio? Do I have to change anything else in the valve train like springs or push rods to use these? How much HP would I gain over stock rockers? Other mods are: Blackwing intake, 85mm TB, LG long tubes with high flow cats, Borla stinger catback, and LS6 intake.
Pretty much no gain(at least that you will feel or notice). Unless you are changing the cam, I'd leave the rockers alone.

Hopefully the LS6 intake you list is the "air intake", and not intake manifold........
Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Waste of money if you dont plan on upgrading the cam. A nice insurance policy is to have the stock rockers re fitted with a set of Comp Cams trunnions and caged needle bearings for $200. Hinson Supercars did mine and Im happy I can sleep better at night.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 PM
DeltaBravo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 81c3
Waste of money if you dont plan on upgrading the cam. A nice insurance policy is to have the stock rockers re fitted with a set of Comp Cams trunnions and caged needle bearings for $200. Hinson Supercars did mine and Im happy I can sleep better at night.
Did you replace pushrods too, or is it unnecessary?

Dennis
Old 05-08-2010, 03:09 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaBravo
Did you replace pushrods too, or is it unnecessary?

Dennis
Don't need to replace pushrods unless going to heavier than stock springs.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
DeltaBravo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctusser
Thanks!

Dennis
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ctusser
Maybe. These are not just "bolt them in and go". You need to verify the geometry and any shimming required to narrow the wipe pattern on the valve stem will also change the pushrod requirements. Also, not sure how much more inertia they have over stock but I have never seen them installed with stock springs. Since the stock springs are marginal and depending on mileage could be on the edge, the rockers may be just enough to float the valve train early. I am running the rockers on my setup, but you can't just bolt them in and forget about it.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Maybe. These are not just "bolt them in and go". You need to verify the geometry and any shimming required to narrow the wipe pattern on the valve stem will also change the pushrod requirements. Also, not sure how much more inertia they have over stock but I have never seen them installed with stock springs. Since the stock springs are marginal and depending on mileage could be on the edge, the rockers may be just enough to float the valve train early. I am running the rockers on my setup, but you can't just bolt them in and forget about it.
Im not sure were on the same page here. The rockers are the exact ones that came off the engine in the first place. Each one is marked and put right back in it original position. Theres no geometry issues or shimming or anything else here to worry about.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

vettenuts' post was spot on for the comment he quoted, and the OP question concerning the YT roller rocker arms. Pushrod length may have to change if the new rockers need shimming to set correct geometry, which they very commonly do.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Waste of money if you dont plan on upgrading the cam.
I have a cam and im still using stock rockers
Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

All true statements. But to answer Delta Bravos question, no, you dont need to change pushrods when upgrading the trunnions only on stock rockers. I upgraded my springs, pushrods and rockers as well as my cam being .595/.598 It all works together.

Last edited by 81c3; 05-09-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

All true statements. But to answer Delta Bravos question, no, you dont need to change pushrods when upgrading the trunnions only on stock rockers. I upgraded my springs, pushrods and rockers as well as my cam being .595/.598 It all works together.
I was referring to the original question with regards to installing YT's and the need for springs and/or pushrods. I have re-read the thread and I guess my reply was somewhat confusing as to what I was referring to.

Get notified of new replies

To Roller rockers or not ???

Quick Reply: Roller rockers or not ???