C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all C6 manual shifters the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
chrisbenoit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are all C6 manual shifters the same?

I'm looking for a C6 shifter to fit my 99 FRC, I currently have a notchy B&M ripper shifter, I'm looking for something smoother. Are the C6 and C6Z shifters the same, with respect to ease of shifting and throw. I heard something about solid bushing in the Z shifter that rattles. Also should I stray away from 05 and 06 and look for something from later years. Thanks.

I want a short, smooth shifter, I'll spend the extra cash for a Z06 shifter if I'm getting better quality.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

The C6Z shifter has been discontinued by all the vendors here due to problems putting it in the C5 (or problems period) , and the shifting/length etc. is the same for C6 and C6Z.

Years don't matter except the **** set up is different so make sure you get the entire deal if you buy used (**** and shifter) . Can get a new set up from vendors for under $200- check the C5 parts for sale area.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
IRACEMYCOPCAR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just converted mine, mostly because my stock **** was trashed and i wanted a C6 style. I was going to buy an aftermarket shifter but i got a steal on an OEM C6 shifter. Im using an '06 **** on an '08 shifter and unknown year C6 boot and i sourced them all seperately in the classifieds and i have about $85 into all of it. I heard the pre 09 C6z shifters had some rattling issues but the one i got was from an 08Z (why i got a deal on it) and i havent noticed anything. However the only difference from a non z was a bushing so a standard C6 shifter is fine. The only differences besides that was that some years had a torx/allen head screw to secure the **** and i think one year has a phillips screw and the earlier ***** had a design on the aluminum where the shift pattern is and the newer ones are just plain with the shift pattern. Not sure if they mount differently.

Last edited by IRACEMYCOPCAR; 05-10-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a C6 shifter in my '99. I love it. Its smooth and effortless. I had a Hurst. It was a stiff POS. The C6 **** has a scew. I'm using a C6 ****. You'll have to stretch the C5 boot a bit. Take a few stitches out of it. My son-in-law theaded the top of the shaft and put his ZO6 **** on it. No problem. If your replacing a B&M or Hurst you may need another shifter boot for sound insulation. It's the rubber boot below the console. If this boot has an enlarged hole for the B&M or Hurst you'll get a lot of torque tube and tranny noice in the compartment. Make your car sound really trashy. I have one if you need it.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I had known four years ago that there were problems putting a C6 shifter and **** in a C5 and I wouldn't have done it. Haven't had any problems at all, didn't have any problems with the install, but if I had known there were issues I wouldn't have done it.

Charlie
Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
redazz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisemon
I wish I had known four years ago that there were problems putting a C6 shifter and **** in a C5 and I wouldn't have done it. Haven't had any problems at all, didn't have any problems with the install, but if I had known there were issues I wouldn't have done it.

Charlie
Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Had the Husrt for two weeks when it first came out, hated it. Stiff, noisy, etc. Put in the C6 when it came out, love it. I took the boot and turned it inside out, pulled apart the glued section then pulled it over the shift **** and used an o-ring to set it into the groove on the shift ****. Install the shift **** on the shaft with the inverted boot then just pull the boot down and install in the console. Did three cars this way (mine and two friends).
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Charlie
I'm not getting what you mean.-It works great for you,but if you'd have known that some folks didn't like them,you wouldn't have done it?

I've got the C6 shifter with the solid mounts,and there's no rattles,no issues of any kind,unless better shifting is an issue.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Charlie
Originally Posted by redazz
There were only issues with the C6Z shifters, not the Base C6 shifter. If you're referring to the post about the inner boot and noise, this was only if you already installed another aftermarket shifter on your C5 and then went to the C6. There are NO adjustments to anything needed if you went directly to C6, with the boot exception.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
The C6Z shifter has been discontinued by all the vendors here due to problems putting it in the C5 (or problems period) , and the shifting/length etc. is the same for C6 and C6Z.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, what?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Ummmmmmmmmmm, what?
been since first of the year or so......(look at C6 Shifter pricing)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...rts-house.html

Get notified of new replies

To Are all C6 manual shifters the same?

Quick Reply: Are all C6 manual shifters the same?