C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Return line & reguator.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Return line & reguator.

I had one performance shop tell me I need an external regulator and another tell me its built into the tank. They both agree that the return line nees to be hooked to the fuel rail which I will definately do. One shop says that I need a regulator between the return fuel line and the rail which i will do. I will probably go ahead with the regulator idea i am putting a guage on the rails tomorrow morning. I was wonderring along with the shop how the car runs with it hooked up like it is currently.

I currently have the return line plugged but I dont want to so can someone give me a diagram how a set of fast style rails would be hooked up with the return line? Pictures of how it is now can be found in the pics in the link below.

http://thedungeonss.shutterfly.com/

The second loop back fuel line is blocked off with that evap plug. Is the proper way to plug that line into the other side of the fuel rail that is blocked off?

Thanks

pics here:
http://fuelsystem.shutterfly.com/
Old 05-20-2010, 07:10 AM
ssdungeon
Racer

Default anyone

anyone
Old 05-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are ZERO Fuel Pressure regulators in C5 Tanks. There either on the fuel rail (97-98 ONLY) or incorporated into the FUEL FILTER on the rest. 97 & 98 C5s had TWO fuel lines that went to the fuel rail one unregulated fuel supply line and one return line.. 99+ only has ONE fuel line to the fuel rail.

If you dont have a regulator (be it on the rail 97-98 or in the filter 99+), the pressure at the injector is probably way too high and not constant so your AFR will vary a LOT! If you have the stock filter, it SHOULD have a line/fitting for a fuel return line back to the tank.

With the complex fuel system that you have, you should have a stand alone fuel source for the NO2 system, and better fuel pump for the OEM half of the system Correct?

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-20-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:17 PM
chevylad
Pro

I would run a return line with the regulator at the rail. One of the vendors on LS1tech recomended this over the non-return style fuel rails because he said the system reacts to pressure spikes better. The non-return style rail is on dead end line where the return style is in a loop and pressure is controlled much closer to where the fuel feeds.

He also suggested running dedicated fuel system just for the NOS with anything greater than a 200 shot.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There are ZERO Fuel Pressure regulators in C5 Tanks.
Except for models equipped with FFS.

Last edited by lucky131969; 05-20-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 AM
ssdungeon
Racer

Default fuel rails

Nope not yet. Im not spraying this thing this season but man now I can understand why I cant get my fueling tuned!!!
I sorta suspected it was something like that. Since I have posted this message I installed better fuel rails with a guage and it is sometimes 57psi but when I checked it while pumping gas.... i think it was like 80psi Ill have the return line hooked up tomorrow when I find another fitting for the rail. The nitrous plumbing is just there but not set up until I get a stand alone tank for the battery compartment. I have another stage and its over a 200 shot for sure. Right now I just want to get the car solid. I probably wont spray this season because I have two car projects going.

Also I was told that the Fbodies had the regulator in the tank so I dont need one for that. I would like to get a second reply on that. I actually moved that rail to my 98 Z28 same fast setup minus the Direct port.

I think rock auto or someone has the vette regulator for 30.xx I guess ill give them a call tomorrow. I just need to install the regulator INLINE with the return line correct? or I hope thats correct. If not please advise before I mess something up. LOL.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to help you, but I am not sure I understand your posts. Maybe some more detail and be a little clearer.

With that said the 97-98 regulator mounts on the rail, but you said you wer running Fast rails. You will need to buy an aftermarket regulator like Aeromotive and mount it between your rails and return line. You will need a handful of fittings to make this happen.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by HP_Addict
I want to help you, but I am not sure I understand your posts. Maybe some more detail and be a little clearer.

With that said the 97-98 regulator mounts on the rail, but you said you wer running Fast rails. You will need to buy an aftermarket regulator like Aeromotive and mount it between your rails and return line. You will need a handful of fittings to make this happen.

You guys actually sorta answered my question.
1. I wanted to know if I needed one. YES
2. I wanted to know what kind. I found a wix on here that appears to go down where my fuel filter I just changed last month is located. I found another universal one on ebay.
3. I wanted to know where it went since I figured it wouldnt go BETWEEn the rails like the stocker. I am coming off the top of one rail into the regulator then in to the return line at the cowl. Let me know if that is correct and I think ill be all set.

I think im going with this one. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Also I have the same setup on my camaro without the guage and all. So will I need one for the 98 camaro as well?

Im adding pics in a few. To the link in the first post.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
I found another universal one on ebay.
3. I wanted to know where it went since I figured it wouldnt go BETWEEn the rails like the stocker.
If your sig is correct, then your "stocker" has the fuel pressure regulator incorporated into the filter. 97-98 have the regulator on the rail.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:34 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

1. What year is this car?
2. What fuel rails are you running?
3. Does the car have a factory return line?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:15 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

Default sorry guys didnt know my signature was not updated some OLD rides were on there

Originally Posted by HP_Addict
1. What year is this car? 1997
2. What fuel rails are you running? aftermarket fast like rails
3. Does the car have a factory return line?
the corvette does have the return line. Ill look at the z when I get back to the shop. Its currently getting a 6.0L installed. I donated the red rails in the pic to the Z28

I got an answer about the Z28 but when it was answered I had my OLD 01 z28 in the sig.
I have a 1998 Z28 now. So will that need a regulator with the exact same rails that are pictured?

Now that I know I will need one for the C5 I need to know if the one in the link I have posted above will work.
Then I need to verify that it just needs to be installed between the rail and the return line.

Thanks guys. Sorry for being so confusing. and CONFUSED period.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
the corvette does have the return line. Ill look at the z when I get back to the shop. Its currently getting a 6.0L installed. I donated the red rails in the pic to the Z28

I got an answer about the Z28 but when it was answered I had my OLD 01 z28 in the sig.
I have a 1998 Z28 now. So will that need a regulator with the exact same rails that are pictured?

Now that I know I will need one for the C5 I need to know if the one in the link I have posted above will work.
Then I need to verify that it just needs to be installed between the rail and the return line.

Thanks guys. Sorry for being so confusing. and CONFUSED period.

For a second, I almost though I had it down. Don't know if where talking about a C5 or an F-body.....both? Sig says 99, but your working on a 97? You're right, too confusing for me.....

Good luck
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

Default questions questions

Originally Posted by lucky131969
For a second, I almost though I had it down. Don't know if where talking about a C5 or an F-body.....both? Sig says 99, but your working on a 97? You're right, too confusing for me.....

In the last post I sorta asked about both because they both are using aftermarket fuel rails. The fuel rails in the pic are going to the Z28 and I have a set of chrome fuel rails (same setup though) currently on the vette these had a guage on them so I swapped them yesterday.

Ill fix the sig.

Good luck
Its a 97 first year of the LS1 and I copied that sig from tech. So its wrong over there too. I had a 99 c5 and traded it for this 97 for the t56 the 99 is now owned by a friend that is doing a similar setup.

I also have a 98z had in the past a 2000 SS, 01z, and another 98z that a wrecked in 3 DAYS!!! Lets just say I had quite a few LS1 cars. Along with a few SBC cars.

Currently I only have the 97 C5 and 98z28. I was asking about both but the one I have to fix RIGHT now is the 1997 C5. The LSX engine in the pics with the direct port is from the 1997 C5.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

You can check out my thread where I replaced my entire fuel system. I went the the RSI Dual Pump system, -AN6 dual feed lines, another -ANA6 return line, and a boost-referenced regulator near the front of the rails.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...cs-inside.html
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

I added pics to the top link to what i have going on now. the regulator I purchased doesnt regulate shyt. lol. I have hooked it up both ways nothing changes. I think ill probably go with the wixx filter regulator i didnt want to do that because I JUST changed the filter. At this point I just want something to work so I can finish the engine bay. If someone has any input or suggestions I am all game at this point.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Return line & reguator.

Quick Reply: Fuel Return line & reguator.