C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump O Ring Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
txst
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil Pump O Ring Question

I upgraded the timing chain in my Z06 to the LS2 chain. While I had the oil pump out, I wanted to replace the O ring going to the pick-up tube. The new O ring I got from GM Parts House was green in color and the one that was in the pump was black. I did a search on the internet, and it appears that when you buy a Melling oil pump, it comes with 2 O rings, one black and one green. The green one appears to be a little thicker than the black one.

Do I have the wrong O ring?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
0Jon@Texas-Speed
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the part number off the invoice? If so I can tell you what that o-ring is for and make sure it is the right one for you.

Jon
Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just swapped mine out and I'm pretty sure it was BLUE. I bought a kit that came with a red (trucks) and black (supposivly F-body) and my buddy picked up the blue one from GM
Old 05-27-2010, 08:32 AM
txst
Instructor

I'm color blind, so I think you may be right - the O ring I got is probably blue. The part number for it is 12557752. The new one is definitely thicker than the original black one, but I have read that there were some issues with the O ring (and Service Bulletins), so GM may have upgraded them to a thicker design and differentiated them by color (similar to the yellow valve springs in the Z06).

Thanks.

Steve
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by txst
I'm color blind, so I think you may be right - the O ring I got is probably blue. The part number for it is 12557752. The new one is definitely thicker than the original black one, but I have read that there were some issues with the O ring (and Service Bulletins), so GM may have upgraded them to a thicker design and differentiated them by color (similar to the yellow valve springs in the Z06).

Thanks.

Steve
Steve, the part number you gave, 12557752, is the proper o-ring for 1997 - 2004 oil pump to pickup tube.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
txst
Instructor

Thanks - I guess GM made a design change to thicken the O ring to address some of the oil pressure issues from the LS1.

Steve
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you lube that sucker generously after it's installed on the pickup tube, before you assemble it to the pump housing. You don't want it getting in a bind and pinch a chunk off.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pump O Ring Question

Quick Reply: Oil Pump O Ring Question