C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers for a C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 PM
hillde
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers for a C5 Z06

After having considered the pros and cons of short tube and long tube headers I have decided to go short tube, ceramic coated. Anyone familiar with Doug's short tube headers? Are there any others I should consider?
D
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

B&B HEADERS (Billy Boat in AZ) are usually at the top of the list, but they're not inexpensive. They are CARB compliant for all states though. Find them under bbexhaust.com

BBK HEADERS is another option. I think they are also CARB complaint. I don't know if DOUG'S HEADERS are or not.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Chuck01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hillde
After having considered the pros and cons of short tube and long tube headers I have decided to go short tube, ceramic coated. Anyone familiar with Doug's short tube headers? Are there any others I should consider?
D
I am sorry, but unless you have too go with Long tubes. Shortys are not worth the price, very little performance gain.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Chuck01
I am sorry, but unless you have too go with Long tubes. Shortys are not worth the price, very little performance gain.
Not true, I now have longtubes but my B&B shorties proved 12 rwhp on a dyno before and after on the same day.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Chuck01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Not true, I now have longtubes but my B&B shorties proved 12 rwhp on a dyno before and after on the same day.
Wow, but that is the only time I heard of that happening. Every car is different and I could be wrong.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck01
Wow, but that is the only time I heard of that happening. Every car is different and I could be wrong.
Just my $0.02 worth....

If the port openings in the headers, ANY headers, truly are sized the same as the ports on the heads, you most likely will see a HP gain over the OE manifolds. Let me explain.

Last month, I did the Comp Cam rocker arm upgrade on my '01 coupe. Just for grins, while I had the car partially apart, I pulled the exhaust manifolds are looked at the ports, comparing them to the ports in the heads, as well as the openings in the gaskets.

Like most GM mainfolds I've seen in the past, the exhaust manifolds on my car had excess metal in the flow path, especially on the 4 "end" ports, obviously causing a flow restriction. I took a die grinder and removed the metal that overlapped into the port, and reinstalled the manifolds. Removing this restriction probably would give me, even with stock manifolds, a 5-6 HP gain....
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just curious, what were the reasons that led you to choosing shorties over LTs? I'm guessing emissions requirements? I can't really see any other reason to go with shorties.

Dope
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM
dirty-c5
Racer

I bought the Lg street headers and love them.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
hillde
Heel & Toe

I am looking at the shorties for the reason you mentioned. We have emissions tests on cars here every two years so no pass ... no drive.
We also have some road clearance issues and the last time I put long tubes on there were some places I could just not go.
D
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just my $0.02 worth....

If the port openings in the headers, ANY headers, truly are sized the same as the ports on the heads, you most likely will see a HP gain over the OE manifolds. Let me explain.

Last month, I did the Comp Cam rocker arm upgrade on my '01 coupe. Just for grins, while I had the car partially apart, I pulled the exhaust manifolds are looked at the ports, comparing them to the ports in the heads, as well as the openings in the gaskets.

Like most GM mainfolds I've seen in the past, the exhaust manifolds on my car had excess metal in the flow path, especially on the 4 "end" ports, obviously causing a flow restriction. I took a die grinder and removed the metal that overlapped into the port, and reinstalled the manifolds. Removing this restriction probably would give me, even with stock manifolds, a 5-6 HP gain....
Not to doubt you but for your effort did you get any "all other things being equal" proof of that? Certainly removing any resistrictions should help but on a stock exhaust manifold you would still be burdened with their limitations
Old 07-28-2010, 03:41 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

We have emissions tests on cars here every two years so no pass ... no drive.

D
Not sure where you are located, but most states do. You can still pass depending on the thoroughness of the inspection. Some states only read the computer for codes while others have visual inspections.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed my LG street series headers. Cant believe how easy they went in it took me 20 minutes tops for both of them. The hardest part is the spark plugs and o2 sensor wiring. No reason to buy shortys when you can get 2x+ more hp. Dont be afraid of the install its easy they go right in. DO NOT attempt the install by yourself or it will be tough!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by had2have-it
Not to doubt you but for your effort did you get any "all other things being equal" proof of that? Certainly removing any resistrictions should help but on a stock exhaust manifold you would still be burdened with their limitations

I understand that completely. What I was getting at, was the "long tubers" ALWAYS poo-poo the possibility of any gains with "shorties". My point was if the shorties were done correctly, with no restriction at the flanges, there was certainly a gain over the OE manifolds, which most likely have the same issues with casting flash that my manifolds had.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
dirty-c5
Racer

I am looking at the shorties for the reason you mentioned. We have emissions tests on cars here every two years so no pass ... no drive.
We also have some road clearance issues and the last time I put long tubes on there were some places I could just not go.
D
DO they do a visual inspection? They are supposed t oand some shops do but not most. As long as they dont do the visual you will pass with the right tune.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

If you live in California just skip the headers and get a supercharger...CARB exempt 500+ hp

Get notified of new replies

To Headers for a C5 Z06

Quick Reply: Headers for a C5 Z06