C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube Coupling bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Eric D
It is nice that you agree to be their guinea pig! Are they at least giving you a break on the cost seeing you willl be doing their R&D? Note that in their warranty they will only cover for the price of their part if it fails and if it's not abuse.

On a more Sserious note, if this really is your plan, how about getting photos and starting your own thread with the topic of these couplers. How much hp are you at, what diff gearing and other details on your car. I'm interested and I'm sure others would be as well. I hope they work out for you.
486.5 rwhp, 3.42:1, 305/18 Nitto DRs.

Going in:
McLeod RST dual-disk
6 Shooters (front & rear)
kevlar pilot bushing

Coming out:
Monster Level 5 (excellent clutch for power but chatters and noisy)
GM coupler (front)
Solid coupler (rear)
stock pilot bearing
Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 846 Likes on 722 Posts

Does this mean I'm not intitled to my opinion?
Sure. I just personally don't like how your opinion comes across as "You should use stock GM ones because they will last 100k miles and no other ones have any R&D or history behind them and are all junk. If you do use anything else then good luck because it will fail quicker than the stock parts." Actually, it's more like you are stating a fact than giving an opinion.

I don't believe you have any proof of what R&D Prothane did or did not do on their coupler.You don't know if it'll be a good unit or not. I personally like the design with the outer "cage" surrounding the bolts, which should make it stronger over all. I don't know if it will be better either but it looks to be a well sorted part.

I have read about C5's here with 400+hp and less than 100k miles having shredded couplers. Not sure yet of the miles on this 430rwhp car but this coupler made a mess when it failed.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1575004515-post23.html

I guess overall I just don't see those stock rubber couplers as being anything special.

Peter
Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Peter, you really don’t know me at all or even have a clue to what I do for a living. The fact that you “don’t like how my opinion comes across” really means nothing to me nor do I really care what you believe or not. If you wish to believe that other couplers are superior to the OEM unit, than that is your choice, right or wrong.

From your past commons and even some of these more resent ones it is quite apparent to me you haven’t a clue what you are talking about. I have no need or desire to prove anything to you.

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I guess overall I just don't see those stock rubber couplers as being anything special.
This is one comment I agree with you. You really don't see or understand.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 846 Likes on 722 Posts

Peter, you really don’t know me at all or even have a clue to what I do for a living.

Odd, you don't know me or what I do for a living either yet you quote my post and basically tell me I'm wrong for wanting to replace the rubber couplers with something else besides stock replacements. You imply that you have first hand knowledge along the lines of actually working on the design team for the torque tube. Yet, I find it rather funny that you can neither deny or confirm your occupation. I wasn't aware that GM had people sign non-disclosure agreements which included not being able to discuss who they work for...

Then, you tell me you don't like my attitude...

Peter
Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 AM
denden06
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque tube couplers size for my vette

Here is a list of the part numbers. I would also suggest caution on where you purchase the couplings. They are not all the same quality.

BOLTS
Bolts for mounting the flex couplings use the following bolts.

Part # 12456213 = Torx M10 x 47 mm 12 each
Part # 88894027 = Torx M12 x 52 mm 12 each

Hi

I need to change my couplers but am desperately at a loss when it comes to find out which size to purchase...my corvette is a 2001 coupe with automatic transmission. I have read in other posts that all automatic had the 10 mm while in your table above it is stated that starting 2000 even the automatic has the 12 mm...

Can you please confirm what my mechanic will find when dismantling the housing ? he can't start without the parts and if they are not correct, he's gonna kill me

Also regarding the bolts, I have found the complete specs of the 12 mm ones (M12 x 1.75 x 52.5) but for the 10 mm I only have M10 x ?? x 47
I guess the bolts can be a little longer like 55 instead of 50 or 50 instead of 47, right ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Denis

Quick Reply: Torque Tube Coupling bolts?