C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk lid limp

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Trunk lid limp

How high should the trunk lid pop up? I have a new to me 03 Z06 with less then 7k miles. The lid was barely moving. I applied vaseline to the latch, and cylinder rods. Sprayed penetrating oil on the hinge points. It now pops up about a 1/2". It's enough to get my fingers under but I'm wondering, are the cylinders gas struts? If they are what is the spec pressure they should produce?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There have been mods to this that involve mounting a spring on the latch.

Try this link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...nk-popper.html

Last edited by Oldvetter; 09-26-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

How much did the lid lift when new? I suspect the problem is the struts, anyone know the pressure? Usually these cylinders have a spec pressure they produce.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't say whether there is a problem when the lid is open but if it stays up well, and it pops up 1/2" to easily get your fingers under, what exactly are you trying to fix? it was probably tight to start out with from not being opened and closed with only 7k miles.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Tough crowd here!

When I got the car it did not lift enough to reasonably be able to get your fingers in there. After lubing up the hinge points and cylinder rod it pops up just enough for me to get my fingers in to lift it, stays up when lifted all the way up. At about half down it drops down.

I'm just curious as to how high it popped up when new. If it's not much more then 1/2" then I guess it's fine. If it was more then I'll replace the struts.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by PEERPSI
Tough crowd here!

When I got the car it did not lift enough to reasonably be able to get your fingers in there. After lubing up the hinge points and cylinder rod it pops up just enough for me to get my fingers in to lift it, stays up when lifted all the way up. At about half down it drops down.

I'm just curious as to how high it popped up when new. If it's not much more then 1/2" then I guess it's fine. If it was more then I'll replace the struts.
oldvetter posted my DIY fix

Mine was OK initially but it slowly got worse. You can twist the rubber buffers on the trunk lid to push it up a tad more. Most say lubricating the latch gives the biggest improvement. You can also get an extra push by shutting the door with the windows up after popping the latch which blows it up.

I tried them all and eventually gave in and made the trunk popper.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine didn't want to pop up enough to get a finger under it, so I removed the aftermarket piece of carpeting and backer board with the Corvette & Z06 logo that was stuck to the underside. It works fine now.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Just replace the strut...

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk lid limp

Quick Reply: Trunk lid limp