C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam lobe, lifter failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM
dadsturn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default cam lobe, lifter failure

I had new LS7 lifters, patriot golds installed not even 8 months ago, and the cam (whiplash cam built by competion cams for England green) now has four worn cam lobes, one of these very bad, three lifters that are flat spot and roller bearings worn badly. The cam has been in the car for over 4years and the original lifters lasted 4 years.

The same thing happened to a tuners car here with a competion cam and on the same lobes. The two on #1, #8.

I have searched on here and have found problems with the hardness of the cams being ordered, LS7 lifters not holding up to high lift cams etc. but havent found anything concrete for the failure.

Has anyone got anything new to add, or a final reason that this combination might have happened?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me make sure I understand, you installed new LS7 lifters and springs on a 4 year old cam?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

First, check the valve springs. If the stiffness and seat values have decreased you could have had a valve control issue and ended up with the issues you have found. I would suspect this first. From there I would move on to hardness of the original parts.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
dadsturn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Let me make sure I understand, you installed new LS7 lifters and springs on a 4 year old cam?
England green changed the springs and lifters and stated that the cam looked just fine, i have no reason to doubt them.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

What were the prior valve springs?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
dadsturn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

the prior and the existing were Patriot golds for 600 lift.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

a hydrolic cam will last forever if everything is kosher....they dont have a shelf life in a car

was the preload set correctly? ls7s want about .60 dont they? was valve seat hieght checked? pushrod length checked?
The following users liked this post:
JWM (06-19-2020)
Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Why don't people understand that the cam lobe is the equivalent of a bearing race and the roller lifter is the roller bearing?
Would you ever replace the roller bearings in your wheel bearings and not change the race?
Changing only one part of a bearing be it the race or the roller is always a bad idea, just because one part is rolling doesn't mean it will not have a distinct wear pattern.
Sorry about the OP's problem but what you have here is a predictable failure.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Why don't people understand that the cam lobe is the equivalent of a bearing race and the roller lifter is the roller bearing?
Would you ever replace the roller bearings in your wheel bearings and not change the race?
Changing only one part of a bearing be it the race or the roller is always a bad idea, just because one part is rolling doesn't mean it will not have a distinct wear pattern.
Sorry about the OP's problem but what you have here is a predictable failure.

this is very untrue....if you have your valvetrain set up correctly, a cam will never wear out. I took mine out after 2 years of racing and it looked brand new. a lobe on a cam is not a "bearing" that needs replaced. Why do you think everyone sells used cams?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
this is very untrue....if you have your valvetrain set up correctly, a cam will never wear out. I took mine out after 2 years of racing and it looked brand new. a lobe on a cam is not a "bearing" that needs replaced. Why do you think everyone sells used cams?
Well I guess everyone has their own opinion about bearings, so I will defer to the service manual page 6-237.

"Valve lifter installation.
Important: When reusing valve lifters install the lifters to their original locations.
If a camshaft replacement is required, the valve lifters must also be replaced."

If a lobe on a cam is not part of a bearing, what is it?

And people sell used cams because other people buy them, some people get lucky and they work fine for a long enough time to dump the car.
Others are not so lucky, you are mismatching micro finishes on high loaded hardened surfaces that run at high relative speeds.
A recipe for a failure.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:05 AM
Sg mg
Intermediate

Default Cam install

no new cam new springs all brain tooley stage one package L88 LT4
Old 06-19-2020, 10:12 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Well I guess everyone has their own opinion about bearings, so I will defer to the service manual page 6-237.

"Valve lifter installation.
Important: When reusing valve lifters install the lifters to their original locations.
If a camshaft replacement is required, the valve lifters must also be replaced."

If a lobe on a cam is not part of a bearing, what is it?

And people sell used cams because other people buy them, some people get lucky and they work fine for a long enough time to dump the car.
Others are not so lucky, you are mismatching micro finishes on high loaded hardened surfaces that run at high relative speeds.
A recipe for a failure.
He replaced the lifters but not the cam. Therefore he followed those guidelines.

Sounds more to me like the new parts weren't installed correctly. Incorrect amount of lifter preload, or possibly a bad batch of springs.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:34 AM
CinciZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 227 Posts

Cam to lifter wear pattern is a very real thing for flat tappet hydraulic camshafts, but new roller lifters can be installed with a used roller camshaft as long as the cam has no lobe defects - its worked for millions of motors since roller valvetrains came into existence.
The following users liked this post:
JWM (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 03:39 PM
bonesbrakr
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe he got it figured out in the 9 1/2 years since the previous posts?
Old 06-19-2020, 03:42 PM
CinciZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesbrakr
Maybe he got it figured out in the 9 1/2 years since the previous posts?

Dawwwww I hate myself
Old 06-19-2020, 03:46 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

D'oh! (_8(|)

Get notified of new replies

To cam lobe, lifter failure

Quick Reply: cam lobe, lifter failure