C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LAST Shifter Post We値l (hopefully) EVER Need!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Default The LAST Shifter Post We値l (hopefully) EVER Need!!!

I’ve only been a forum member for six months and already I’m tired of the redundant threads and polls surrounding shifters. From now on when the question arises just point the person here.

A few threads on the Anti Venom mod (or transmission detent bolt spacer):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...venom-mod.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ffort-mod.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...od-or-bad.html

A thread that covers the anti venom mod AND shifter adjustment:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-question.html

Two more links for shifter adjustment (aka shifter alignment):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1562784937-post9.html
http://rpmtransmissions.com/files/c5...adjustment.pdf

Great shifter replacement how-to guide:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/pat...rInstall.shtml

Now for comparisons of aftermarket shifters...
Feel free to add your opinions by responding to this post, but PLEASE, only do so if you’ve tried MULTIPLE aftermarket options (C6 included). Simply cheerleading for the shifter you chose doesn’t really do much good if you’re unaware of how it compares to the competition. Lastly, just saying you liked shifter A more than shifter B doesn’t really help either; try to be specific about how they compare (**** height, throw length, ease of shifting, ease of finding the right gear, etc.)

Nice comparison of C5 v. C6 v. Hurst v. MGW:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1566522233-post1.html

Another with C5 v. C6 v. Hurst:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...5-non-z06.html

And these were the most helpful comments I found comparing aftermarket shifters:

Originally Posted by ZYa
I had the new MGW, and it was too stiff for me. It was hurting my shoulder/rotator cuffs. I switched to the 09 C6Z06 shifter.
The MGW had great, solid, shifts. It was tough for me to get into reverse and 5th. It gave me pain in my shoulders. It had to go! It also rattled during hard acceleration on my stock car.
The C6Z shifter has longer, softer throws than the MGW. Its nice, but I wish it had the solid throws that the MGW had.
Originally Posted by Mark C5
The Hurst and B&M were very similar, I doubt I could tell the difference blindfolded. As I said the Z06 shifter was too close to the stock shifter, a little shorter throws but that's about it.
Originally Posted by 71corv
I also have the old style MGW shifter with the race ****. Had the C6 Z06 shifter before the MGW, liked it okay, but still prefer the feel of the MGW. While it is hard to shift into 5th,6th and reverse, the first 4 gears are better than anything I have tried. I really don't use 5th or 6th, and reverse only when necessary.
Originally Posted by Independent1
Have tried several shifters - hurst, B&M, and C6 Z06. The first two felt notchy and little hard to shift. The C6 Z06 shifter feels a lot easier to shift. By that I mean it takes a lot less effort.
Originally Posted by Fratbragen
I had the B&M with the anti-venom (this did make a big difference). I got so tired of the notchiness and not being able to get it in first at a stop light. Oh, and reverse was a pain as well. Loved the 2-3 shift and 3-4 though. I ended up buying a c6Z06 and like it. Yes, the throws are longer, but it's not notchy and much less effort. Let's put it this way, my fiance can now drive the car.
Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I had a B&M Ripper in my Cobra and my Vette for a combined total of about 11 years. I liked the solid feel and the short throw, but frequently had a difficult time getting into reverse. I installed a MGW shifter this spring and really like it. It's rock solid and I think the throw is a little shorter than the B&M.
Originally Posted by pdd000
I had the ripper, mgw and now a 08zo6 shifter cut down threaded for a c5 billard ball. The ripper and mgw were to stiff. The z06 shifter stock had throws way to long and the **** sucked. So when I cut the z06 shifter down it shorted the throw and after I re-threaded the shifter, I put a c5 billard ball on top. The best of both worlds and it shifts much easier.
Originally Posted by ~Joshua
I've had the Kirban, the C5 & C6Zo6, and now the MTI Six Shooter.
The MTI unit is never leaving my car. PERFECT.
Not nearly as stiff as the Kirban, with a slight mechanical notch moreso than the C6Z unit, and the MTI will let you use any **** (I kept the C6z ****)
Originally Posted by jpandes
I have tried the OEM C6Z Shifter and currently have the B&M SS. The C6Z felt like the throw was too long for my liking. It was smooth with little effort. The B&M that I have is short and precise, but takes extra effort and is notchy. I did do the Anti-venom mod and it improved things a bit by lessening the shifter effort required to shift.
Originally Posted by jeanlucpicard
Got a Hurst billet shifter in my 2001 and a Calloway shifter in my C6 Z06. The Hurst is a tighter, ratchet style shifter where the Calloway is tighter but more smoother. Depends on how you use the car and what you want. I track road race the 2001 so like the Hurst. I road trip the Z06 and like the smoother Calloway shifting.
Originally Posted by pjbracing
Here is my experience with shifters over the past 7 years:
> I started with the C5
> Switched to a Hurst - OK but even with light springs very tight, would be better on drag strip but OK for normal driving - Better than stock C5
short throws - Heavy Effort
> Tried a C6, Z06 - Better than C5 but not as tight as Hurst - better for normal driving
longer throws than Hurst but slighly shorter than C5 - Low Effort
> Recently installed a MGW - Started with C6 shaft - Very nice, crisp and tight
Shortest throw - Medium Effort
> Installed C5 Shaft on MGW - Best for my normal driving, crisp but not quite so tight.
Slightly longer throw than C6 shaft - Medium to Low Effort
* My choice is the MGW with both shafts
I have done the anti-venom mod on the transmission.
Originally Posted by ZYa
I tried the MGW, and it was too stiff...
I tried the C6Z, and it was too soft...
I tried the MTI, and it was just right.
Originally Posted by ~Joshua

Identical to what I'd say except that my first shifter was a Kirban.
Originally Posted by jpandes
I recently swapped out my b&m ripper for an RSD snap shifter. I really like the RSD. It's a modified C6Z shifter that has a shortened and threaded shaft. Super smooth, almost effort less compared to the b&m with the anti- venom mod
Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I compared my friends MGW to my RSD shifter... The MGW is definitely a lot stiffer and shorter. I wouldn't have a problem getting used to it, but it's certainly not as stiff as my old shifter on my other Z06. The MGW on my friend's car was on there for about a 6 months before I tried it out... I don't know if it got any looser, but it certainly needed more effort than my shifter.
Originally Posted by Dave68
I have a BPP shifter, which is very similar to the Hurst. The big difference is that the BPP that I have is reach-adjustable (16 different ways). The shifting feel is virtually identical, however.
Originally Posted by RIKKITIK
I like the latest MGW best, but the Hurst has the most potential. The Hurst is the only one with tunable springs, (preload or change to alternate spring), and shift stops. Just too much internal drag makes it feel comparatively numb. Freeing it up would be perfect, but I was too lazy to take it apart. For me, the C6Z shifter ('07), was OK, but not what I was looking for.

Last edited by skyavonee; 01-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

so what shifter should i get?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 PM
GBsC5Vert
Pro

Location: LA/OC border, probably sittin' under the patio, by the pool...smokin' a cigar! SoCal
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette8189
so what shifter should i get?
That's funny!

Would have been even funnier if you copied the whole thread, then asked what shifter to get!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Moderators please make this a Sticky. I致e only been a forum member for six months and already I知 tired of the redundant threads and polls surrounding shifters. From now on when the question arises just point the person here.

A few threads on the Anti Venom mod (or transmission detent bolt spacer):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...venom-mod.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ffort-mod.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...od-or-bad.html

A thread that covers the anti venom mod AND shifter adjustment:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-question.html

Two more links for shifter adjustment (aka shifter alignment):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1562784937-post9.html
http://rpmtransmissions.com/files/c5...adjustment.pdf

Great shifter replacement how-to guide:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/pat...rInstall.shtml

Now for comparisons of aftermarket shifters...
Feel free to add your opinions by responding to this post, but PLEASE, only do so if you致e tried MULTIPLE aftermarket options (C6 included). Simply cheerleading for the shifter you chose doesn稚 really do much good if you池e unaware of how it compares to the competition. Lastly, just saying you liked shifter A more than shifter B doesn稚 really help either; try to be specific about how they compare (**** height, throw length, ease of shifting, ease of finding the right gear, etc.)

Nice comparison of C5 v. C6 v. Hurst v. MGW:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1566522233-post1.html

Another with C5 v. C6 v. Hurst:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...5-non-z06.html

if you are tired of redundant posts in ONLY six months, wait how irritating redundant posts get in six years.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Clutch threads are far more common. Why not start a bitch thread on those.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnape
Clutch threads are far more common. Why not start a bitch thread on those.
No kidding. For the OP....here are some others you can address:
1) Will C6 rims fit on a C5?
2) What tires should I buy?
3) My oil pressure reads 80 psi
4) Which spark plugs and wires?
5) Which oil should I use?
6) Should my balancer wobble?
7) Will C6 sway bars bolt into a C5?
8) Will C6 shocks bolt into a C5?
9) Which coolant should I use?
10) Which brake fluid should I use?
11) Which cam is best?
12) Which headers are best?
13) Which catback sounds best?
14) Which oil filter is best?
15) Which Supercharger is best?
16) Which air intake is best?
17) Which battery is best?
18) Which thermostat is best?
19) Which is better: horsepower or torque?
20) What is the search function?
21) How do I use the search function?
22) What is an owners manual?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

what color is better?

what color is faster?

is this a good price?

what do you think i should do?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Hmmmmm,,,, Ive replied to hundreds of shifter post.

There are more AFTERMARKET SHIFTER features / combinations than I ever care to comment on...

When PEOPLE ask, " Whats the best shifter for me? " I have to laugh!

Heres the real answerer!

GO EXPERIENCE several of the installed shifters in the C5 or C6's that are already installed. Puts your hands on the shifter and FIND ONE THAT YOU LIKE! PERIOD!
Put hands on the installed shifter and see if you like the feel or NOT.

In all reality,, there are only TWO different shifter designs:

1. The stock OEM design with no neutral gate return springs..

2. Shifters with added neutral gate return springs.

Other than that,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there basically the same. You can change the leverage ratio, add shift stops, add or eliminate shift handle sound/isolation dampening make the handle different, ect.......

Like I state in many post:

Ya know, shifters are a lot like beer. Some people swear that XXX beer is the best, while others swear XXX beer SUCKS.

Your NEVER going to get a 100% straight answer on what one is the ABSOLUTE BEST SHIFTER.

Some people are BRAND LOYAL and some just like the way a specific shifter works.

For me, it's the KIRBAN. I like its features and ruggedness. It just plain works for me!

Until you put your hand on various shifters and run the car thru the gears,,, your never going to figure out what the PERFECT shifter really is FOR YOU!!!!!!!.

Test drive a few C5 with different shifters and see what you like.

Thats the real answer.

BC
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Since I just asked this question a couple of days ago, I vote for a stick on this subject. I couldn't find anything relevant although I was SURE the question had been asked many times before.

lucky131969 - sine you brought up all those other great common questions, I nominate you to create a post with all the answers Not trying to be mean, I really think it would be great to have stickies for these common questions that "everyone" knows about.

Bill Curlee is definitely right but the problem (at least in my case) is finding anyone close enough to me with said shifter variety to try out and I'd guess that would be a problem for others as well, especially noobs who don't have 100 friends with Vettes.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Since I just asked this question a couple of days ago, I vote for a stick on this subject. I couldn't find anything relevant although I was SURE the question had been asked many times before.

lucky131969 - sine you brought up all those other great common questions, I nominate you to create a post with all the answers Not trying to be mean, I really think it would be great to have stickies for these common questions that "everyone" knows about.

Bill Curlee is definitely right but the problem (at least in my case) is finding anyone close enough to me with said shifter variety to try out and I'd guess that would be a problem for others as well, especially noobs who don't have 100 friends with Vettes.
But if you make every thread a sticky that has been asked multiple times it will turn out just like it is now. Every topic has been gone over at least once before.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mcm95403

Ha! I can help you solve that issue. There should be a corvette club or even a corvette repair center some where near you. Then there are the spring and summer car gatherings and major shows. Look in the EVENTS & REGIONAL SECTION and find something that happening near or with in reasonable driving range.

Seek out those places and you will be able to find some fellow C5ers with mods of interest.. I go to Carlisle PA every year. WOW! If you cant find something there, it ain't made yet!

BC
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Maybe one big one with all the questions instead of individually, and it would be good for new members, I wouldnt know the name for the sticky though
Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Originally Posted by powerjunky
Maybe one big one with all the questions instead of individually, and it would be good for new members, I wouldnt know the name for the sticky though
the name could be: "nobody ever looks at me first sticky".
Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I have modded or swapped my short block, heads, cam, headers, TB, coupler , intake manifold, CAI, exhaust, mufflers, cats, flywheel, clutch, torque tube, trans, differential, shocks, springs, wheels, tires, seats, tune, rollbar,tick master, bleeder, catch can, brake ducts, brakes, rotors and still have a stock shifter.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
the name could be: "nobody ever looks at me first sticky".

What do you mean? Why would they look at you first? The Avatar seems to scare em off

Not me though

hahah

But seriously if your self conscious about your avatar please feel free to pm me Imavettegirl

Last edited by TriplBlk; 01-08-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:52 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Ha! I can help you solve that issue. There should be a corvette club or even a corvette repair center some where near you. Then there are the spring and summer car gatherings and major shows. Look in the EVENTS & REGIONAL SECTION and find something that happening near or with in reasonable driving range.

Seek out those places and you will be able to find some fellow C5ers with mods of interest.. I go to Carlisle PA every year. WOW! If you cant find something there, it ain't made yet!

BC

Even at my age, I'm FAR too impatient to wait for a meet of some sort. I want my answer and I want it NOW
Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 PM
1999_TRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info.

Get notified of new replies

To The LAST Shifter Post We値l (hopefully) EVER Need!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 AM
firefighter813x
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by powerjunky
What do you mean? Why would they look at you first? The Avatar seems to scare em off

Not me though

hahah

But seriously if your self conscious about your avatar please feel free to pm me Imavettegirl
That avatar is weird.... I like my Hurst
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
No kidding. For the OP....here are some others you can address:
11) Which cam is best?
12) Which headers are best?
13) Which catback sounds best?
14) Which oil filter is best?
15) Which Supercharger is best?
16) Which air intake is best?
17) Which battery is best?
18) Which thermostat is best?
19) Which is better: horsepower or torque?
20) What is the search function?
21) How do I use the search function?
22) What is an owners manual?
Funny cause it's true...
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firefighter813x
That avatar is weird.... I like my Hurst
ssshh dont say that youll hurt the poor thing

Dont dogs need TLC too?

kinda like the fat chick cliche

Quick Reply: The LAST Shifter Post We値l (hopefully) EVER Need!!!