C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tell me what's wrong with this 2003 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

After looking up the car on cars.com and doing a little poking around on the web.. this smells like a scam. I hope anyone interested in this vehicle takes the necessary precautions to ensure you get what you pay for.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
So.. why are people suggesting he needs a new engine? A misfire could be the sole cause of his problems.

Pay to have a reputable Corvette shop do a tune up. If you are mechanically inclined, pull the DTCs. If you have P0300, swap the plugs and wires.
Read the whole thread... nobody knows what he needs. Mechanic said new motor without opening the hood and no DTC codes have been posted.

OP; did you ever figure out what was wrong with the car. Did a mechanic ever look at it?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Read the whole thread... nobody knows what he needs. Mechanic said new motor without opening the hood and no DTC codes have been posted.

OP; did you ever figure out what was wrong with the car. Did a mechanic ever look at it?
Originally Posted by imavettegirl
i don't believe that he said it was running lately.

i think he was describing how it ran 2 years ago when his dad parked it.

i highly doubt that this is a salvageable motor or vehicle without spending way more than it will be worth.

In any event, this deal seems pretty shady. I hope someone local looks at the car and shakes this guy's hand before someone out of the state makes arrangements to buy it.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:00 AM
dyingslownyc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
After looking up the car on cars.com and doing a little poking around on the web.. this smells like a scam. I hope anyone interested in this vehicle takes the necessary precautions to ensure you get what you pay for.
oh no he didant! wha what!

im really curious, what looks like a scam? I thought I was very upfront with everything. Since I don't like being equated with a criminal I would really appreciate if you would tell me. I did clearly state the car does not run and has only been started a year ago. I will be happy to add any information to the add you think should be in it, I hope that convinces you I am just a novice and not a criminal.

cdkcorvette7, my father decided against checking the codes and taking it to a certified mechanic because he thinks he will be paying to find out what he already knows which is the car needs more work than he is willing to put into it. He wants to sell it end of story and I am happy because it's a shame for it to just sit in a lot and lose any value it has..

Last edited by dyingslownyc; 11-22-2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: making it more better
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dyingslownyc
cdkcorvette7, my father decided against checking the codes and taking it to a certified mechanic because he thinks he will be paying to find out what he already knows which is the car needs more work than he is willing to put into it. He wants to sell it end of story and I am happy because it's a shame for it to just sit in a lot and lose any value it has..
FWIW, you can check your codes for FREE. The C5 has a built in scanner. I posted instructions for how to pull them earlier in this thread. Even if you don't plan on fixing it you should still pull and post the codes as it will give potential buyers a better idea of what's wrong with it...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 AM
dyingslownyc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
FWIW, you can check your codes for FREE. The C5 has a built in scanner. I posted instructions for how to pull them earlier in this thread. Even if you don't plan on fixing it you should still pull and post the codes as it will give potential buyers a better idea of what's wrong with it...
ya but I would need to spend money on a battery and how do i hook it up without killing myself or damaging the car and there could be a zillion codes and it's just ahhhhh!. I wouldn't spend a dollar on a battery that I have no use for. My dad is zero help..

heck my laziness could mean a great freaking deal for someone..right? It's possible...right?

Last edited by dyingslownyc; 11-22-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: making it more better
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

ya but I would need to spend money on a battery and how do i hook it up without killing myself or damaging the car and there could be a zillion codes and it's just ahhhhh!. I wouldn't spend a dollar on a battery that I have no use for. My dad is zero help..

heck my laziness could mean a great freaking deal for someone..right? It's possible...right?
You don't have to buy a battery. Steal one from an already working vehicle for 20 minutes and return it after you're done.

Man you are making a huge deal about something that could be very simple.

There is even a small chance that all your z06 needs to get back on the road is new plug wires, battery, oil & gas.

The longer you keep letting it sit and rot in the parking lot, the less it will be worth.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 AM
dyingslownyc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ironembraced
You don't have to buy a battery. Steal one from an already working vehicle for 20 minutes and return it later.

Man you are making a huge deal about something that could be very simple.

There is even a small chance that all your z06 needs to get back on the road is new plug wires, battery, oil & gas.

The longer you let it sit and rot in the parking lot, the less it will be worth.
do you really think I have very few problems to expect when it's been out in the elements for so many years and has 150k on it?

Last edited by dyingslownyc; 11-22-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: making it more better
Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

do you really think I have very few problems to expect when it's been out in the elements for so many years?
Engines don't just melt because they have been sitting for 2 years.

It will probably need every single fluid flushed out of it along with some fresh hoses, tires etc.

But heck there is alot of reasons to cause the Z's original issue of dying at a stop light. Many of them could be $25 fixes.

Your biggest mistake was taking the advice from the random Corvette guy at a body shop. These engines are good for plenty more than 150k, well taken care of.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,586 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Whats the asking price of said BROKEN ZO6???

BC
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 133 Likes on 69 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

11 months qualify

Quick Reply: Can you tell me what's wrong with this 2003 Z06?