C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 overheat consequences

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 AM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 overheat consequences

I have a carb'ed ls1 in my c3 that I severely overheated yesterday. I don't know if I dodged a bullet or just haven't realized I'm screwed yet. The lower radiator hose blew off yesterday at the union used to match the two different sized hoses needed for the swap. I don't know when it happened exactly since I was driving at speed it must have all dumped under the car and the steam must've went under as well. I started noticing the oil pressure dropping sitting at a light, nothing scary but lower than I'm used to seeing it. I pulled over about a block away at a gas station and shut it down and realized what happened. The gauge pegs at 240 so can't say how hot it got and the oil pressure was the first thing I noticed so can't even say how long it was that hot, but it was a short drive home so couldn't be but a few minutes. The temp gauge is laying near the console at the moment while the swap is getting the details finished and I check it periodically going down the road so didn't realize I was overheating, no steam and low oil pressure had me thinking mechanical issue and I paid all my attention to the pressure gauge while I got to a safe place to stop (stupid with the temp gauge I know, I'm beating myself up enough so be gentle). I got the hose hooked back up and filled it back up and putted it home and all drove well, no noises, no smoke, no noticable change in power (though I didn't push it to test that theory much), and once it fully cooled down the oil pressure was fine again. I won't be driving it for a few days while I get the union that was supposed to keep this from happening reengineered so am wondering if I should be optimistic about this or not. Can LS1's take overheating well, if they get crazy hot what's the first thing that typically goes so I can look for symptoms, should I change the oil before I drive it again? Fingers crossed here, it's a built LS1 with maybe 100 miles on it.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

AL warps and cracks when it gets hot; I'd look for water leaks in the heads and pressure test the system to see if water tries to push out anywhere; also look for bubbles in the radiator. Maybe a leak down test of the cylinders too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM
redazz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have seen 280 oil temp at the track with no damage . changeing the oil seems like a sensilble precaution
john
Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Be lucky it is not an old rx7. Once they over heat the apex seals in the rotors are shot.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 overheat consequences

Quick Reply: LS1 overheat consequences