C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Z06- AC Air Flow Issues????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 AM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 Z06- AC Air Flow Issues????

I have a 2002 Corvette Z06 with 33K miles.

Is it normal for the AC air flow to be directed both out of the dash vents ( which is normal) and the ALSO out the vents under the dash towards your legs ? I have the automatic climate controls adjusted correctly - but noticed less air flow than I remember from last season. I think if all the air were directed properly out the dash vents this might solve my ac issues.

Is this the vacuum line issue raised on other posts? If so- sounds like I need to pull out the battery and look for any broken vacuum lines eh?

Help would be appreciated - Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Nathan

All the VENT function are controlled by vacuum modulators. The vacuum signal comes from a single nylon line on the back of the intake manifold.

Without that vacuum signal the vacuum modulators just fail in what ever mode that ther in and air comes out of multiple locations.

The vacuum signal goes to a solenoid control module. Electric signals operate small solenoid valves that allow vacuum to flow to the correct modulator:

You have to see if you have a vacuum signal. Thats first.

BC
Old 04-09-2011, 12:08 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

BC, Thanks for the pm with photos !!

Since this is may be so helpful to others - I will ask questions here on the forum.

How do I go about checking the vacuum? Are some of these vacuum line connection located under the battery tray (think I saw that on other posts)?

Must I remove the manifold (yikes)? Please guide me through the least "invasive" process to troubleshoot this issue.

Much Appreciated !
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Scoobi_FreeBSD
Advanced

Originally Posted by NatB
BC, Thanks for the pm with photos !!
Oooo... photos! I wanna see! I'm having the same issue and am 90% sure I'll need to replace the line.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
lwd2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fixed mine last week! I removed the battery and the base it sets on and found the vacuum line. I reached in a felt what was visible of the line...no holes or damage. I then removed some of the electrical tape securing the vac line and all the wires. I removed the tape towards the fire wall about 3 inches, used a dental mirror and found the hole/damage. I believe my problem was from wear rather than battery acid. Worth a 20 min look before getting into a big project. When I found the damaged area I cut out that section (about 1.25 inches) and took it to advanced auto and they sized me some vac line. Just plugged both ends in and fixed for less than $1. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 Z06- AC Air Flow Issues????

Quick Reply: 2002 Z06- AC Air Flow Issues????