C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Exhaust on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Carlmc1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the C6Z manifolds. Its a tight fit but it works. My car isnt finished now but I have no doubt in my mind that these will make the same power as headers if you replace the cats with a straight pipe. The only negative is the weight and its not easy to swap the mid pipes when its time for the emissions test.

Carl
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Choose1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a guy here in Cali running the C6Z06 system on his LS6 C5Z06 with excellent results, I see no reason why they will not work in your C5-LS3.

Still searching for A.I.R. Regulations.....

SMOG Guys---Chime in here.....
Old 07-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Choose1
Instructor

Default Up and Running!!!

Got it all back together last week and have been very busy breaking in the new motor and sorting out issues as they arise, I just had the pull the drivetrain for a TT bushing bolt that decided to break and bounce around in the tube, scared the S**T out of me!

The C6Z06 exhaust does fit but is very tight around the bellhousing. The wife went out of town with our camera during install but as soon as I get it back together I'll drive down to the local exhaust shop and use their lift to take some pics for everyone.

I've only put about 50 miles on the new motor/exhaust due to the TT bolt but here are my initial observations, btw, I'm running C6Z06 Manifolds, Gutted Cats, C6Z06 h-pipe modded at the rear to match OTA pipes.

Sound-The car is still loud but not as loud as with LT's

Heat-- I am still getting a lot of heat transfer, even with the upgraded tunnel plate. I was really hoping the exhaust swap would help with this, l'll be installing an interior insulation kit in the near future.

Performance--The exhaust seems to flow really well and I noticed that my rear mount turbos spool a little sooner, but this more than likely is due to the bigger motor and custom cam.

Visual-- Everything looks stock, nothing looks out of place. The manifolds are a lot cleaner looking than the stock C5 manifolds and can actually be polished out.

I will make sure to post pics as soon as they are available.

Jerry
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 PM
KrispyZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"lurk"

*Subscribed.

Let us know how it comes out!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by melvingregory
From personal experience, it will bolt up, but a couple of things to consider. The exhaust ports do not match up on the block.
Curious as to how you solved this or how big an issue this was and if it can be corrected. Also, do you know the design of the manifold, i.e., is it a Tri-Y like the later C5 exhaust manifold?

Thanks for reporting back, always interested in this type of out of the box solution
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 AM
mx597turbo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to thread hijack, but the whole smog thing is just one of many reasons I would never want to visit CA, let alone live there. I don't know how those of you who do can stand the government sticking its nose in so much of your business (I'm not just talking about car emissions...)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Choose1
Instructor

Default Pics......

Originally Posted by melvingregory
From personal experience, it will bolt up, but a couple of things to consider. The exhaust ports do not match up on the block.

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Curious as to how you solved this or how big an issue this was and if it can be corrected. Also, do you know the design of the manifold, i.e., is it a Tri-Y like the later C5 exhaust manifold?

Thanks for reporting back, always interested in this type of out of the box solution
The ports match up fine, I honestly do not believe the member who posted that statement actually tried to install them, I purchased my set from him. Here are some pics from my iPhone, I will take better pics once my car is back together and on a lift. Hopefully these pics will help answer some questions until then.

Name:  E1.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  E2.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  E3.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  E4.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  98.8 KB
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW! That set up looks killer and like it would preform very well!!

Whats the difference between LT headers and that up-grade?

Bill
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Choose1
Instructor

Thanks Bill, I did it because of the strict laws here in CA. I am not sure of the exact penalty but aside from the actual smog test, law enforcement reserves the right to check our vehicles for illegal modifications and tampering with smog devices which can range from impounding your vehicle to a hefty fine. This setup looks a lot more like stock to the untrained eye compared to LT headers! I was also hoping to cut down on heat in the cabin but no real gain here. I am hoping to put it on the dyno and post some numbers by September. I really wish I could swap in a LT setup for comparison numbers but this is financially impossible at this time.

As you can see, the driver side cat pipe must be removed to install/replace a rear O2 sensor and the passenger cat pipe must be removed to remove/replace the starter as well as install/remove the A/C lines, but the A/C works!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:17 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Driver's O2 looks like it might be a tight squeeze from the photos. Also interesting they used a flex joint. Also looks like it might be a Tri-Y pipe arrangement although hard to tell with the shield in place.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Choose1
Instructor

I dont think there is a flex joint, nothing is flexible. The elbow after the manifold is wrapped in a heat shield but is not a flex joint. This is also not a Tri-Y design, looks more like a 4 to 1. That is not a heat sheild around the manifold, that is the manifold. I beleive these are made from steele and C5 manifolds are cast iron.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Any pics of the system on the car yet?

Great job!!

I don't know how you folks in Kalifornia put up with the BS. They regulate the heck out of you guys. I was watching a TV show that was following their wildlife officers as they went from store to store in the markets looking for illegal fish and meat. I cant believe the huge hoards of enforcement officials of all kinds the state employs.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Any pics of the system on the car yet?

Great job!!

I don't know how you folks in Kalifornia put up with the BS. They regulate the heck out of you guys. I was watching a TV show that was following their wildlife officers as they went from store to store in the markets looking for illegal fish and meat. I cant believe the huge hoards of enforcement officials of all kinds the state employs.
Ya its getting to be like the gestapo!

And I'm in comifornia so I will be removing my LT's and going
with the C6Z exhaust soon. I already have them.
Does the drives side o2 clear the bell housing?
I would like to see more pictures too!

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 07-19-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Choose1
Instructor

I plan to take more pics as soon as I get my TT back in. Yes, I have all of my O2 sensors installed although only my fronts are active. You will have to install the driver rear O2 into the Cat pipe prior to installing the Cat pipe onto the vehicle as it does touch the bellhousing at the mounting boss. This also means you have to remove the cat pipe to change/replace you rear driver O2 sensor should it fail.

I'm right here in Sacramento as well, I'll send you a pm when I get it back on the road so we can arrange for you to see it in person if that will help.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Choose1, that sounds good!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Choose1
Instructor

Finally, got it all back together......

As you may know, I just had to pull my drivetrain for a broken TT Bushing Bolt. Upon re-installation of the cat pipes, somehow the passenger front O2 sensor shorted with the starter solenoid as I re-connected the battery. Upon inspection, there is minimal to zero clearance between the two depending on the direction your solenoid wires are mounted.

My remedy for this was the MSD 5096 "mini" starter. Well, its not really "mini" as it is actually larger than the stock unit. The key feature of this starter is the adjustable mounting block which allowed me to move the solenoid closer to the engine block. Problem solved, plenty of clearance now!

During the TT repair I also installed an insulation kit in the entire car, now that was a task I hope I never have to do again! I sure hope it helps with some of the heat issues....

I'll be swinging by the exhaust shop tomorrow to put the car on a lift and take some pics for everyone.

I will also keep this thread updated as I put some miles on this setup.

Jerry
Old 07-30-2011, 03:03 PM
eleonb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that's what i call modding. You're not afraid to get in it. I'm that way as well, a lot of guy's rag me because i do my own wrenching instead of taking it to a dealer, what's the fun in that. I did'nt think ls3 mans would fit ls1 heads either, but u did it. I thought of doing the same but i think i'll go with shorties. Everybody says lt's are better if so than why don't car manufactors do it. They have the means, pain in the a--,that's why. Keep it up. Looking good

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Exhaust on a C5?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 AM
Choose1
Instructor

Thanks for all the support, I do appreciate it.

Check it out, passed my first test friday after work: On the way home from work i got into boost and broke the tires loose a lil, made a left about a mile from my house and red and blue lights in the rear view!

1) First question from the CHP officer; I see your tags are out.

Yeah, just put a new motor in, trying to get the bugs worked out before I smog it.

2) So the cars a little loud, you mind popping the hood?

Everything stock officer, just running test pipes until the motor is broken in.

The officer went on to advise me about noise ordinance and exhibition of speed but eventually had nothing solid to site me for (aside from the past due smog, registration was paid so worst case is fix-it ticket)

He asked me to slow it down and let me go. If I had still had the LT's, chances are I would have been ref'd, as he did check my engine for "mods". He did ask about my "catch can" but I advised him that it was mandatory with the "CARB" legal turbo kit I had installed. I know, not true, but it worked!!!!!

Hey, I'll chop this one up as a win for the C6Z06 swap but will definately have to watch my driving habits in the city.

Hope this helps fellas...................

Last edited by Choose1; 07-31-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

C5tech sticky???

great info, it does work.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW! Great COP story!! Good work!

Reminds me of when I was exercising the ZO6 around a long sweeping highway entrance ramp. When I completed the entrance ramp and merged onto the highway at about 80 mph, I looked to my left and I was side by side with a CT Trooper in a plain car. As Our eyes met he had an expression on his face like

" Ok wise guy,, what are you going to do now??? "

I let of the gas and just dropped back.. I guess he thought he that was good enough. He kept going!

ANYWAY,, Your car sounds like it ROCKS and I glad you stuck with it and made it work!! EXCELLENT JOB!

For future installations, I have a solution to the close fit around the bell housing:

If you have access to a acetylene torch, you can heat up the pipe between the manifold and cat (cherry red) and apply a little force with a pry bar and bend the pipe out a 1/2 inch or so.

I have a 2011 MN6 Grand Sport Vert and I may be up-grading the manifolds to ZO6 manifolds.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-25-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Exhaust on a C5?