C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff breather/vent size & removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
KenI
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard is it to remove the old vent and replace the new one? Can it be done while diff is in the car? Thought I might do this while I'm changing sway bar bushings.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KenI
How hard is it to remove the old vent and replace the new one? Can it be done while diff is in the car? Thought I might do this while I'm changing sway bar bushings.
You don't remove the old vent You pop the top off and remove the spring and rubber seal.
Then you attach a hose ~6" long and bend it forward with the new jiggle top vent in the end.
You will have to drop the left exhaust pipe and lower the cradle some have room to work.
The following users liked this post:
BuzC5 (09-07-2018)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
KenI
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
You don't remove the old vent You pop the top off and remove the spring and rubber seal.
Then you attach a hose ~6" long and bend it forward with the new jiggle top vent in the end.
You will have to drop the left exhaust pipe and lower the cradle some have room to work.
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM
megawatt1203
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Leaky Rearend

Just completed this fix on my 2000 Vert. Had the left seal and o-ring replaced a couple years ago when I had my S/C installed. Still had occasional leakage. No apparent leakage all winter long. Made some long spirited runs this summer in hot weather and leakage returned. Level is OK now, might of been filled to drain after fix 2 years ago. Used 2' piece of 3/8" ID and clamped it to old vent with cap, spring and rubber removed. Double looped the hose and cable tied it to brake line. No vent on end of hose, placed screen over it. Will see if this helps!

Mark
Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 AM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Does anyone have any pictures of this mod????
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Dave 127
Intermediate

Default vet/ breather

which side is the vent on ?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 127
which side is the vent on ?
Driver side
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Info for all interested in this subject. I found a local dealer who had the vent (Part No. 15852707) in stock. The P/N has actually been superseded to a new number... don't have it with me to post.

UPDATE - The new GM part number for this differential vent is 19132947.

But anyway, this vent called out in the Cadillac TSB is the same vent that is installed in the differential housing and also has the rubber washer and spring setup. The TSB just puts it on a 12 inch hose up and away from the differential. Maybe getting it away from the heat of the differential helps the rubber washer from sticking and the vent working as it should (?). The new vent is ~$30.

I was digging around my tool box last night and found a motorcycle in-line fuel filter that has a fine mesh screen in it, and the body isn't much larger than the diameter of the fuel line the TSB calls out. This weekend I'm going to install this new vent setup, but use this in-line fuel filter instead. Will be interesting to see if the differential "leak" stops after the mod.
Nice work guys

Don't tell the GM dealers about the TSB, they know too much
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Rather than start a new thread I figured I would resurrect this one.

I ordered the Vent from my dealer today, my question is...

Has anyone had any ill effects with this mod? Has it fixed your leak?
My seal is dry and it is wet up by the vent so I am confident it is the cap.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Bump.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SSTG
Rather than start a new thread I figured I would resurrect this one.

I ordered the Vent from my dealer today, my question is...

Has anyone had any ill effects with this mod? Has it fixed your leak?
My seal is dry and it is wet up by the vent so I am confident it is the cap.
Possible ill effects are addressed in post #3, it has corrected the oil leak on all of the ones I used it on.
My personal 98 has had this fix since 2005 and never leaked a drop since.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM
megawatt1203
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

See post #24. No leakage since doing this mod. As far as driving through water as post #3 states, not going to happen to me....
Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys! I will be doing this Mod tomorrow!

I do have one question, I ordered the OEM vent that was suggested on the forum.
I shouldn't have to worry about water ingestion then right?
I'm just adding 6" of hose with a new vent.

Last edited by SSTG; 07-03-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Dave 127
Intermediate

Default rear end vent

Took mine apart today I heard a little hissing noise . Tried to use hose for the vent with filter on the other end ,but couldn't get the clamp to stay on the small nipple,so I put back with no rubber seal.See what happens.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Dave 127
Intermediate

Default leaky butt

Took mine apart today I heard a little hissing noise . Tried to use hose for the vent with filter on the other end ,but couldn't get the clamp to stay on the small nipple,so I put back with no rubber seal.See what happens.
I had the same thing .
If the nipple didn't have the lip and was stright it
would help the clamp stay on,Maybe a O ring to help fill the space .We need some pictures of other jobs.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

I had the same thing .
If the nipple didn't have the lip and was stright it
would help the clamp stay on,Maybe a O ring to help fill the space .We need some pictures of other jobs.
The nipple does have a small lip at the top otherwise the cap wouldn't be able to be crimped around it.
If it's any help you need to use a mini clamp like the kind used for small fuel lines like 3/8" hose.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Lowvett
1st Gear

About 4 weeks after pulling out the drivetrain, replacing axle and transmission seals and re-installing, I noticed puddles of differential fluid on the garage floor and fluid all over the back bumper. I determined it was coming from the vent but I didn't want to pull out the drivetrain again. As corvettebob1 suggested, I pulled out the left exhaust and attempted to clamp a section of 3/8" fuel line hose. After 2 hours of having the clamp continuously slip off that small nipple, I simply put the new spring and disk in the old cap and popped it back on. 3 weeks of daily freeway driving and no more leaks.

I did note the new rubber disk was completed flat. The old disk was malformed into a concave shape (looked like the shape of a contact lens). This is likely why it would get stuck in the vent and then burp out fluid when the pressure built up more than normal.

Get notified of new replies

To Diff breather/vent size & removal?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

What's the next thing to do when getting a hose to stay clamped onto the nipple is not going to happen?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowvett
...I simply put the new spring and disk in the old cap and popped it back on. 3 weeks of daily freeway driving and no more leaks.

I did note the new rubber disk was completed flat. The old disk was malformed into a concave shape (looked like the shape of a contact lens). This is likely why it would get stuck in the vent and then burp out fluid when the pressure built up more than normal.
I was wondering if this could be done like this, and then I found this post!!!

As posted before, the original GM vent (15852707) has been superseded by 19132947, but GM's price is around $30. There is another post letting us know that a Mopar 4809686AB is the same and it can be had for less than $10, but it was not taken apart to see how it was inside.

Does anybody know if the Mopar's spring and disk could be used to repair the original one using this method?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowvett
...As corvettebob1 suggested, I pulled out the left exhaust and...
Can this fix be done just removing the left exhaust, or the cradle has to be lowered as well?

Quick Reply: Diff breather/vent size & removal?