C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff breather/vent size & removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Dave 127
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Breather

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Two questions about the above:

1. Is it possible to pop out the diff breather with the diff in the car - how securely is it pressed in?

2. Has anyone installed a remote breather? If so, what size is the opening in the diff and what type of fitting did you use?

Thanks.
What I did to fix mine was pop off the top of the vent .you will find a spring and a dime size gasket like disk.I used a tire tube patch to make a new disk. I have not lost a drop since. good luck
Old 10-14-2018, 09:17 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,201 Posts

This is a good thread. I'll be inspecting the rubber spring/disc and either make a new disk or add a vent tube.

I've been noticing some drips and bought new axle seals...came across this thread and noticed the side of the case is wet, not just where the seal is so maybe it's coming from the vent.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:58 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Not sure if anyone has checked a thread I recently started on this same topic here BUT, essentially trying to determine what the easiest/best fix is. I saw some replies & read this thread in depth, but not too many recent replies. I'm fairly certain my leak is entirely the resutt of the vent failing/being blocked. I see some people have simply popped the cap off, removed the spring/disc, & reinstalled w/o it. Seems to me this would be the EASIEST fix if it works & if it doesn't cause any adverse effects.

Can anyone verify whether this is the case or not?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Removing the guts and reinstalling the cap is the same thing as adding a vent tube with or without a filter at the end.

Removing the guts is the cheapest option (free). Adding a tube can relocate the potential drip point where you can see it easier (IF it’s coming from tne vent in the first place).

Both methods remove the diffs ability to build any pressure whether the pressure is needed or not. I would add a tube IMO to keep any fluid from sloshing around and coming out the modified vent.

Either way, clean the whole diff then drive it and see if you can find the leak.

Last edited by smitty2919; 10-15-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Removing the guts and reinstalling the cap is the same thing as adding a vent tube with or without a filter at the end.

Removing the guts is the cheapest option (free). Adding a tube can relocate the potential drip point where you can see it easier (IF it’s coming from tne vent in the first place).

Both methods remove the diffs ability to build any pressure whether the pressure is needed or not. I would add a tube IMO to keep any fluid from sloshing around and coming out the modified vent.

Either way, clean the whole diff then drive it and see if you can find the leak.
Thanks that pretty much answered my question. Only reason I was hesitant on the hose is seeing posts complaining of it not staying in place & popping off the exposed vent nipple.

when I opened the fill hole for the diff there was significant pressure built up inside - was hissing well before the cap was fully unscrewed - so I'm really leaning that the vent being blocked is the main culprit in my situation. Alternatively, I think popping that open on occasion after the car has cooled off from a long and/or hard drive (or in very hot weather) is probably a good idea.

I took it to a self serve car wash bay, doused the diff/tranny/cradle area w/ degreaser & went to town on it w/ pressure washer for 5-6 mins being careful not to hit the couple electrical connections. Going to get it back up on blocks, add a bit of fluid, drive it around a bit & see if any fresh drips come, but ultimately I'm just going to plan on spending some time removing the exhaust & getting it a lot cleaner putting in the vent tube mod over the winter.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
...I'm fairly certain my leak is entirely the result of the vent failing/being blocked. I see some people have simply popped the cap off, removed the spring/disc, & reinstalled w/o it. Seems to me this would be the EASIEST fix if it works & if it doesn't cause any adverse effects.

Can anyone verify whether this is the case or not?
This is what I did in 2014 and I've had no problems ever since: Post 39, Post 43 and Post 44 above.

Essentially, these were my findings:
The internal rubber seal was malformed into a concave shape, similar to a contact lens although not that bad. The new rubber seal was perfectly flat.
If I had to revisit this, what I would do to improve it would be to find a thin metal washer of the right size and using contact cement or something similar, glue the seal to it to avoid that it could be deformed again so it wouldn't stick to the vent seat.

Perhaps making a new seal from a Teflon sheet, instead of just rubber, would be even better. This one already comes with 3M adhesive on one side to facilitate attaching it to a thin metal disc.

Last edited by GCG; 10-15-2018 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C5Dobie (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:51 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by GCG
This is what I did in 2014 and I've had no problems ever since: Post 39, Post 43 and Post 44 above.

Essentially, these were my findings:

If I had to revisit this, what I would do to improve it would be to find a thin metal washer and using contact cement or something similar, glue the seal to it to avoid that it could be deformed again so it wouldn't stick to the vent seat.

Perhaps making a new seal from a Teflon sheet, instead of just rubber, would be even better. This one already comes with 3M adhesive on one side to facilitate attaching it to a thin metal disc.
Thanks for the quick reply! Just to be clear - you essentially took the guts out & just replaced the vent cap back onto the nipple w/o the spring & disc correct?

Why would you think modifying the disc would be a better option? Is there any downside to running it w/o the spring/disc in place, or is it just b/c that's how it was designed & you'd feel more comfortable keeping it close to the original design??
Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the quick reply! Just to be clear - you essentially took the guts out & just replaced the vent cap back onto the nipple w/o the spring & disc correct?...
No, as I mentioned in Post 43, I replaced the guts of my old vent with the components of the new Mopar vent I had bought.

Last edited by GCG; 10-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

...Is there any downside to running it w/o the spring/disc in place, or is it just b/c that's how it was designed & you'd feel more comfortable keeping it close to the original design??
Check Post 5 above for the reasoning behind it

Last edited by GCG; 10-15-2018 at 01:04 PM.
C5Dobie (10-15-2018)
Old 01-21-2020, 01:38 PM
GS Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate to ask but has anyone done this mod with a 2010 Z06, GS, or ZR1 or newer diff with a cooler ?
Old 04-14-2021, 04:58 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

I can report another success story for removing the spring-loaded vent and running a vent hose instead.
Prior to messing with the diff vent I replaced axle seals (pass-side 2x), diff side cover O-rings, and diff-to-trans O-ring. None of that cured my diff's leak... could've saved a good chunk of time had I known about the vent issue.

The diff fluid leak culminated in a little puddle on the garage floor (positive pressure inside the diff?) and a speckled rear bumper. 200 miles later and it's pleasing to see none of that so far.

EDIT: I wound up putting a new diaphragm, spring, and cap on the original vent nipple after removing the breather hose. It seemed okay for a little bit but the diff has now been leaking for a while Guess I have the reinstall the breather hose and deal with the temporary odor in the garage.

Last edited by MetalMan2; 11-15-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:33 AM
adabiri2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

------Kinda tricky, beware-------
Tried this modification, wasnt so straight forward.

The problem is the nipple is 1/4" tall. This is not a normal vent nipple like old days you can attach a hose to. The hose will wiggle off eventually, the clamps just dont hold it tight at all. Big clamps, small clamps, zip ties, the nipple is too small.

What i ended up doing was crimping the cap back on it. Make sure it still wiggles and spins 360 with no resistance and cant be removed easily. Kinda tricky too. I pinched it with side cutters/dykes/wire cutters. If i had to do it over id make small slits on lower section so it would crimp a lil easier.
jjc508520 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 01:02 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Corvette
I hate to ask but has anyone done this mod with a 2010 Z06, GS, or ZR1 or newer diff with a cooler ?
When I was at Phoenix I saw a later model race car on the lift and noted with interest the diff cooler setup. I wonder if any of this stuff can be adapted to a C5.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:48 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by adabiri2
------Kinda tricky, beware-------
Tried this modification, wasnt so straight forward.

The problem is the nipple is 1/4" tall. This is not a normal vent nipple like old days you can attach a hose to. The hose will wiggle off eventually, the clamps just dont hold it tight at all. Big clamps, small clamps, zip ties, the nipple is too small.

What i ended up doing was crimping the cap back on it. Make sure it still wiggles and spins 360 with no resistance and cant be removed easily. Kinda tricky too. I pinched it with side cutters/dykes/wire cutters. If i had to do it over id make small slits on lower section so it would crimp a lil easier.
Guess maybe you haven't found the right combo of hose and clamp yet - *knock on wood* I've had a vent hose and clamp (fuel injection style screw clamp) for a good while on my stock/original breather vent without issue. But sounds like you have a decent solution as well.

Quick Reply: Diff breather/vent size & removal?