C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM vs. After market shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM
tgucc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM vs. After market shocks

I've replaced my sway bar and end links and now looking at shocks. I've replaced a lot of shocks in my lifetime and have always believed after market shocks are better than factory. Does this hold true with GM shocks?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The GM C6 ZO6 shocks are outstanding shocks for any C5 up-grade. I put them on my C5 02 ZO6 and saw a significant increase in emergent maneuver driving and high speed free way entrance ramp sweeping turn handling. It NO LONGER bounces off the side of the road when the turns are washboard rough. MUCH BETTER WHEEL CONTROL!!

The cost of four new C6 Z shocks is around $250.

If you’re driving skills and SOTP METER is that finely tuned that you can tell the difference between the Bilstein Shocks that are similar in price, ,,, then get the aftermarket shocks.

For the normal JOE that likes spirited everyday driving, save the cash for something else that you want to up-grade.

If you car is significantly lowered,, your are stuck with Bilstein Shocks or other aftermarket that will handle the shorter suspension travel.

If you do a lot of HPDE and road course,,, skip the shocks and do coil-over’s!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The GM C6 ZO6 shocks are outstanding shocks for any C5 up-grade. I put them on my C5 02 ZO6 and saw a significant increase in emergent maneuver driving and high speed free way entrance ramp sweeping turn handling. It NO LONGER bounces off the side of the road when the turns are washboard rough. MUCH BETTER WHEEL CONTROL!!

If you’re driving skills and SOTP METER is that finely tuned that you can tell the difference between the Bilstein Shocks that are similar in price, ,,, then get the aftermarket shocks.

For the normal JOE that likes spirited everyday driving, save the cash for something else that you want to up-grade.

If you car is significantly lowered,, your are stuck with Bilstein Shocks or other aftermarket that will handle the shorter suspension travel.

Which Bilsteins would be best for lowered C5 Z? HD or Sport? Thanks. The C6 Z shocks wouldn`t be a good choice?

Last edited by Dennis Wilson; 07-06-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Will these fit a non z06 coupe with base suspension?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by guido7834
Will these fit a non z06 coupe with base suspension?
If you are speaking of the GM C6 ZO6 shocks, the answer is yes.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Wilson
Which Bilsteins would be best for lowered C5 Z? HD or Sport? Thanks. The C6 Z shocks wouldn`t be a good choice?
Contrary to what Bill posted, the Bilstein Sport shocks are not shorter and don't help the travel. The rear wheels can travel up into the wheel well just slightly before hitting the bump stop. The type of shock doesn't change this unless you get into shocks that cost close to what a coilover setup costs (since those shocks are basically the coilover without the coil). I can't tell you what the front travel is since that requires pulling the sping out as opposed to just removing the bolt in the rear. However, from measuring it seems to me that the front would travel a little more than the rear.

You really need to install coilovers iF you are lowering more than what the stock bolts allow.

C6Z06 with bump stop cut approximately in 1/2 giving maybe another 1/4" - 3/8'" of travel;

I actually just touch my fender so I couldn't have more travel even if I bought coilovers.

Peter
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by tgucc
I've replaced my sway bar and end links and now looking at shocks. I've replaced a lot of shocks in my lifetime and have always believed after market shocks are better than factory. Does this hold true with GM shocks?
Yes, the OEM shocks are crap. I went from F45 magnetic shocks to Bilstein Sports. Night and day difference! handling is nice and tight and no more "floating" feel at high speed.

I did Bilstein Sports because im lowered on stock bolts. Bilstein Sports shocks are designed for lowered cars because they have a shorter base.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Bilstein all the way. Just based on the lifetime warranty alone it's a better deal in the long run. OEM GM shocks are just that. They may be excellent shocks when new but please keep in mind that they will never have the quality or longevity of the Bilsteins.

FYI. The Sports are recommended for lowered cars or for a firmer ride and the HD's are for stock replacement with stock height.

Get notified of new replies

To GM vs. After market shocks

Quick Reply: GM vs. After market shocks