C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heeeeeelp!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Heeeeeelp!

Here's the deal. I have an 02 z06 with stage one PRC ls6 heads and a ported fast 90 that made 468rwhp with a texas speed ms3 cam (238-242 603-609 on a 112 lsa). My tuner has been using some england green cams lately and talked me into putting the whiplash II cam (24X-25X 630-630 on a 113 lsa) in my car. He said it has a better idle and makes good power, 450 on stock heads... I put the whiplash cam in and went to get it tuned today and it put down 448/39x with peak power being at 6000rpms then going flat and runs like complete a$$ at idle and right off idle. It falls on its face when i try to accelerate from a stop, almost sounds like it has a misfire, backfired a few times and never settles into the hard lope like the other whiplash cars I have heard. I didnt matter what he did to the tune, add/pull timing and fuel, it still made the same power give or take 2-3hp. It was also setting codes for the front o2s for some reason. They are new.

My question is, is it possible for me to install it off a tooth and not have any ptv issues? I checked and changed the plugs and I haven't changed anything else on the car, only the cam. I really dont want to take the car back apart to check everything if its not possible. I checked the dots 3 times and they looked on but I was on my back and could have had a bad angle. Im at a loss here and I dont want to give the car back to him and have him waist another day messing with it if its something I did.

Has anyone had experience with the whiplash cam?

Last edited by Nate B; 07-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd know it if you installed it off one tooth. I'd go after the front O2 sensor problem, that may be causing your PCM to drop into limp-home mode.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any DIC codes?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 0331MARINE
Any DIC codes?

next thing it could have a bad grind IDK just throwing it out their
Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

That sucks...
Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 AM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

It doesn't have any codes in it right now. I put about 30 miles on it tonight an it seems to run ok while cruising. The front o2s are new so I don't see how they can go bad so quickly. How often does comp put out a bad grind? I hope that's not the case because I really don't want to pull it out again. If I go though that I'm just going to put the ms3 back in. Maybe England green will chime in with sone input. A few people I have talked to are saying the cam is to big for a 346 but the claim this cam works well on ls1 heads also.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With your car making great power with the MS3, why would you want to change it????? Since the EG cam is already in there you might want to get it over to England Green and have them tune it. If anyone can figure it out, they should be able to.

Jimbo
Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZOOM06
With your car making great power with the MS3, why would you want to change it????? Since the EG cam is already in there you might want to get it over to England Green and have them tune it. If anyone can figure it out, they should be able to.

Jimbo
My thoughts exactly. For those heads, your power level was outstanding.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats a lot of cam for a 346 its going to run like butt til it gets some rpms.

More isnt always better.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

From what I have read the whiplash cam drives almost like stock. I have been having some low speed driveability issues and my tuner talked me into the whiplash to help with that. I wish I wouldnt have changed it now. Live and learn I guess.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

My advice would be to go back to what you had. Problem is, your tune is all messed up now. Seriously, your numbers previous to the cam swap were well over the average, considering the components, and if was a good driver, then I'd have been happy. Seems to me that the tuner owes you either labor, or some free **** for all your troubles/money spent for naught. Hey! somebody has added a profanity editing program. I didn't even know those things existed. Since I continue to be classless, the computer is gonna fix it for me!

Last edited by zeevette; 07-17-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Surprised censorship
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

From what I have read the whiplash cam drives almost like stock. I have been having some low speed driveability issues and my tuner talked me into the whiplash to help with that. I wish I wouldnt have changed it now. Live and learn I guess.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

valvefloat possibly? fueling issues?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
valvefloat possibly? fueling issues?
Valve float would explain the higher rpm issues but not the idle and low rpm issues. The springs should be good still, they have less than 10k miles on them. The afr was good all the way up to 6500 rpm on the dyno and I have a new racetronix fuel pump and hotwire kit in the car. The car ran fine with the ms3 in it.

You seem to know your stuff. Whats your honest opinion on the whiplash cam or do you have any experience with it. It seems a lot of people say its to big for a 346 and others love it. What cam performs the best on ported ls6 heads and ported fast? Im not out for dyno numbers I just want something that drives well, not a DD, and pulls like a freight train.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nate B
Valve float would explain the higher rpm issues but not the idle and low rpm issues. The springs should be good still, they have less than 10k miles on them. The afr was good all the way up to 6500 rpm on the dyno and I have a new racetronix fuel pump and hotwire kit in the car. The car ran fine with the ms3 in it.

You seem to know your stuff. Whats your honest opinion on the whiplash cam or do you have any experience with it. It seems a lot of people say its to big for a 346 and others love it. What cam performs the best on ported ls6 heads and ported fast? Im not out for dyno numbers I just want something that drives well, not a DD, and pulls like a freight train.
I had the same setup as you, FAST 90/90, PRC ported ls6 heads and ms3 cam (237/242 114lsa) and made 475rwhp/399rwtq. I wanted more torque and more power under the curve. I had pat g spec me a custom cam, 234/238 and it has 3* more overlap. Makes much more power/tq under the curve and makes just as much power up top as the ms3... my custom cam traps almost 4mph higher in the 1/4 than when I had my ms3. My dcr with the ms3 was 7.5:1 and my dcr with my pat g spec'd cam is 8:0:1. Bigger is not always better!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Wow. Our Whiplash II does NOT drive "just like stock" - who told you that? It is a massive cam for the 346ci LS1/LS6 engine and it requires a lot of street tuning. Depending on the car, it has taken me up to a week to tune. Most Whiplash II tunes on LS1/LS6 engines takes me a couple of days of tweaking.

It can drive smoothly and there should be no bucking or surging and it should idle fine - however that requires quite a bit of work to get there.

If your cam has been installed correctly, along with a solid cam kit - your problem is in the tune.

Stephen

p.s. If you were looking for more power over the MS3 - especially more torque, you picked the wrong cam. Our Whiplash II is a high RPM screamer and makes power to 7000rpm - not sure why it is falling over at 6000rpm with your application. As others have said - and we tell our customers the same thing - bigger is not always better.

Last edited by EG@EnglandGreen; 07-19-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

As Stephen stated, your tune is jacked. Who is doing the tuning? They aren't done yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Heeeeeelp!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Who tuned you car?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
Who tuned you car?
Brian at RPT here in Austin. He does a really good job and fixes a lot for problems with cars that other people have tuned. I dont think its a tune issue, I think its something mechanical. He has tuned cars with this cam before and hasnt had any problems and has tuned my car more than 5 times with different setups and the car has always ran really well.

The reason I went with the whiplash is he has had a lot of good luck with the way it idles and drives at low rpms. I did a lot of research and even contacted EG before putting it in and even EG said it is easier to tune than the ms3. Post from people with this cam makes it seem like it drives really well and pulls hard. From posts of dyno graphs than EG put up it looks like peak hp is right around 6500 which is where the ms3 peaked. Do you think I will have a lower trap speed with this cam? Im going to pull it back apart here in the next week and see if the cam timing is off and im debating putting the ms3 back in. I dont know what to do. I really dont want to put the ms3 back in because I have to go a lot further in than just checking the timing.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Brian at RPT here in Austin. He does a really good job and fixes a lot for problems with cars that other people have tuned. I dont think its a tune issue, I think its something mechanical. He has tuned cars with this cam before and hasnt had any problems and has tuned my car more than 5 times with different setups and the car has always ran really well.

The reason I went with the whiplash is he has had a lot of good luck with the way it idles and drives at low rpms. I did a lot of research and even contacted EG before putting it in and even EG said it is easier to tune than the ms3. Post from people with this cam makes it seem like it drives really well and pulls hard. From posts of dyno graphs than EG put up it looks like peak hp is right around 6500 which is where the ms3 peaked. Do you think I will have a lower trap speed with this cam? Im going to pull it back apart here in the next week and see if the cam timing is off and im debating putting the ms3 back in. I dont know what to do. I really dont want to put the ms3 back in because I have to go a lot further in than just checking the timing.

Yes, If you don't have the gearing to match the cam.

My MS3 was a DUD in the mid range and didn't take off until 4rpms with stock 3.42 gearing, and it pulled like a raped ape up top. BUT, my custom cam hits a helleva lot harder in the mid range and pulls just as hard up top as the MS3.

What times did you run at the track with your MS3?

Quick Reply: Heeeeeelp!