C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake replace

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Brake replace

How maney miles can one expect to get on a set of brakes for a 2001 vert.Does the front brakes ware out before the rear brakes and should they all be replaced at the same time.I have 43k on them now and the vette is not tracked and it is not a daily driver.Information will be much appreciated.Any adea about cost for replacement?
Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I recently replaced my pads. The rears still had a little left but my front pads were worn to the limit. My car has 46000 miles.

Hawk HPS pads are popular and thats what I went for. If you search for Hawk HPS pads there are some deals from Forum vendors at present.

I posted aHow To when I replaced my brakes and rotors which you might find useful

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...nd-rotors.html
Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

DeeGee I picked up on your write up on your brake job and stashed it in my favorites. Thats what got me to thinking about my brakes.Great write up and I know it will very much help me
Thanks for the information
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default It all depends.....

Remember that mileage has nothing to do with how soon pads need to be replaced. A driver who spends most of his time on the highway is using no brakes at all, whereas a person who lives around and drives on many hilly roads will burn up brake pads much more quickly.

This is why brake pad life can span a wide range of vehicle miles. Your best bet is to check your pad thickness every so often and change when necessary.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by memmer
DeeGee I picked up on your write up on your brake job and stashed it in my favorites. Thats what got me to thinking about my brakes.Great write up and I know it will very much help me
Thanks for the information
No problem and glad to help.

Dave68 makes a good point. My mileage was 21k around the Vegas freeways with little brake use but the rest on British roads where the brakes are in use all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake replace

Quick Reply: Brake replace