C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Fill Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I work on my cars so much I broke down and bought this. Works like a champ everytime! We use it on all our builds. Its done once and forget about it.

Mityvac (MITMV4535) Cooling System Air Evac and Refill Kit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l7ko_dAcjk
Old 09-13-2011, 12:37 AM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

mine works the same way, but as stated by another member its not worth the money. Just keep pouring in coolant with the crossover tube loosened untill coolant runs down the front of your block and makes a mess on your floor, and your done. I said in an earlier post this tool will empty a cooling system, I don't think that is correct after thinking about it, I didn't use the tool for this part. It will pull some out but i don't think it will get it all, so I stand corrected, by Myself.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bracketshark
mine works the same way, but as stated by another member its not worth the money.
IMO, a good tool that helps do a PITA job with ease is ALWAYS worth the money! If I were installing engines for a living and didn't want to send my customers away with an air pocket in their cooling system I'd definitely have something like this.

Disconnecting the crossover tube going into the rad still seems to have left a small amount of air in the system, so this method is the 100% solution to getting the car on the road after a complete coolant drain, but only the 90% solution to getting air out of the system. The last 10% seems to be drive and top-up (for me anyway).

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
This is exactly what I had in mind in my original post, but instead of cracking those bolts I just pulled the tube off the top of the rad. Those plates feed the coolant crossover tube, then the throttle body, then it goes to the rad.

When I pulled that tube off the rad air immediately came out and the overflow tank emptied into the engine, I was able to almost completely fill the system this way. There still seems to be a bit of air in the system but that will work its way out over the next few days.

I can drive the car now, which is the main thing. Thanks to everyone who offered CONSTRUCTIVE information!

Oh, and I replaced my T-Stat as well. I figured it couldn't hurt since the original had never been changed. I boiled the new one to see it in action - pretty neat - I'll boil my old one just out of curiosity to see if it was still OK.

Quick Reply: Coolant Fill Tricks?