C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor wont come out!! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor wont come out!! Help!!!!

OK, Well I was going to replace both knock sensors on my 01 Z06 because I had a code that said the front sensor was bad. Rear sensor comes right out! The front one will not turn the entire sensor. ITs turning the center part but not the outside which I assume it should all turn. How in the hell do I get this sensor out??? ANYONE EVER seen this before?? Appreciate ANY pointers on this one guys.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:29 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedway1
OK, Well I was going to replace both knock sensors on my 01 Z06 because I had a code that said the front sensor was bad. Rear sensor comes right out! The front one will not turn the entire sensor. ITs turning the center part but not the outside which I assume it should all turn. How in the hell do I get this sensor out??? ANYONE EVER seen this before?? Appreciate ANY pointers on this one guys.
If you're talking about the connector on top of the sensor you don't turn it to get it off, you pinch the tabs on the sides of the sensor and pull... Use very firm pressure with your fingers or gentle pressure with long needle nose pliers...

Last edited by cdkcorvette7; 09-15-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Fixed info... Thanks lucky
Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
You don't turn it to get it out, you pinch the tabs on the sides of the sensor and pull... Use very firm pressure with your fingers or gentle pressure with long needle nose pliers...
I disagree. The knock sensor screws in, and has a torque requirement of 11 lb ft.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

That engire center section comes out, I removed mine to replace the plastic wells at the bottom while I had it open.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I disagree. The knock sensor screws in, and has a torque requirement of 11 lb ft.
Well... this might be twice I've screwed up today.

OP are you talking about the knock sensor itself or the elecrical connector at the top of it?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

If you're talking about the connector on top of the sensor you don't turn it to get it off, you pinch the tabs on the sides of the sensor and pull... Use very firm pressure with your fingers or gentle pressure with long needle nose pliers...
NO,I have the connector off. Its the center of the sensor itself thats turning but not turning the bottom bolt on the sensor. Thanks for the reply anyhow. I just hope im not the ONLY person this has happened to. Im sure there is a way to get it out but if someone has done it would save LOTS of time.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
That engire center section comes out, I removed mine to replace the plastic wells at the bottom while I had it open.
Are you talkinng about the valley cover? Center section as in what. IM open for anything here to help get this sensor loose.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
OK I think your talking about the valley cover that has the bolts in it. From the photos I saw the Sensor has to be removed to get the cover off. So that will not help me in this case. IM going to have to figure a way to unscrew the sensor. Maybe someone has seen this problem before and will give me some pointers.

Last edited by Speedway1; 09-15-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Speedway1
OK I think your talking about the valley cover that has the bolts in it. From the photos I saw the Sensor has to be removed to get the cover off. So that will not help me in this case. IM going to have to figure a way to unscrew the sensor. Maybe someone has seen this problem before and will give me some pointers.
I didn't take the valley cover off when I replaced my sensors... They just unscrew with a 22mm socket. So if the head of the bolt is turning with the wrench (and it's not broken) then it has to be coming loose... Just unscrew it then reach in there (or grab it with some pliers if you can't get your fingers in there) and pull it out. There shouldn't be any resistance.

I can't remember offhand if the larger center section turned with the bolt head or not. Look at your replacement part and see if they are attached or not...

Name:  knocksensor.jpg
Views: 6178
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  KnockSensor1.png
Views: 7785
Size:  542.3 KB

Last edited by cdkcorvette7; 09-15-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

I didn't take the valley cover off when I replaced my sensors... They just unscrew with a 22mm socket. So if the head of the bolt is turning with the wrench (and it's not broken) then it has to be coming loose... Just unscrew it then reach in there (or grab it with some pliers if you can't get your fingers in there) and pull it out. There shouldn't be any resistance.

I can't remember offhand if the larger center section turned with the bolt head or not. Look at your replacement part and see if they are attached or not...

I have one sensor out already. THE front one does not loosen when turned with a soket. The inside part of the sensor turns the rim or outside does not turn. Does this mean the bolt is twisted off? IF so How the hell does one get it out then. I did not twist it off. Must have been that way before. As soon as I tried to loosen it it would not turn the entire sensor only the iside part. Any ideas? Thanks for the photos.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Just so I'm clear... In the image below you're saying that the piece with the blue arrow pointing to it is turning and the piece with the red arrow pointing to it is not right?

Name:  knocksensor-1.jpg
Views: 6795
Size:  55.5 KB

Are you sure the hex head on the bolt isn't stripped and is actually turning? Have you looked at your replacement sensor to see if those pieces are attached to each other or are separate and able to rotate independently?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Educate me, what is a knock sensor ?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixiecrat
http://www.engineblox.com/?p=65
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dixiecrat
As I understand it a knock sensor is just a microphone of sorts. It "listens" for engine knock (detonation inside the combustion chambers). If the sensor detects knock it sends a signal to the pcm which will retard the timing until the sensor doesn't "hear" it anymore.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Cool link
Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Thanks Lucky.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You may have found out why the front one was bad.

That means that you may have to dissect it to get it out. Get your drill out and start dismantling it to get to a part that will allow the main body below the center section to turn.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Knock sensor wont come out!! Help!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Speedway1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You may have found out why the front one was bad.

That means that you may have to dissect it to get it out. Get your drill out and start dismantling it to get to a part that will allow the main body below the center section to turn.

Bill
I see no other way to go at it Bill. Will update if I make any progress. Thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Speedway1
Instructor

Just so I'm clear... In the image below you're saying that the piece with the blue arrow pointing to it is turning and the piece with the red arrow pointing to it is not right?

Are you sure the hex head on the bolt isn't stripped and is actually turning? Have you looked at your replacement sensor to see if those pieces are attached to each other or are separate and able to rotate independently?
You are correct! YES
Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

At this point, you might as well remove the lifter valley cover to see, from underneath, if the threads are stripped and just turning.

You may end up having to drill the sensor out, and then repair the damaged valley cover threads with a Helicoil.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor wont come out!! Help!!!!