C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor wont come out!! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Speedway1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
At this point, you might as well remove the lifter valley cover to see, from underneath, if the threads are stripped and just turning.

You may end up having to drill the sensor out, and then repair the damaged valley cover threads with a Helicoil.
I thought the threads for the sensor were in the block not the vally cover. I will see if it will come off though thanks.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:29 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a drill and drill a hole big enough to get a screw driver in. Do the same to the other side.

Place a screwdriver in each hole and turn it to get it out. As you turn it, you may have to have someone pull on the top of it to apply pressure (if threads are stripped)

4SFED Z
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Speedway1
I thought the threads for the sensor were in the block not the vally cover.
You are right! They ARE threaded into the block.

The shop manual shows 2 raised pedestals, cast into the lifter galley on the block, that line up with the knock sensor cavities in the valley cover.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

You are right! They ARE threaded into the block.

The shop manual shows 2 raised pedestals, cast into the lifter galley on the block, that line up with the knock sensor cavities in the valley cover.
NEW BIGGER PROBLEM.Sensor came out but it or I Broke the raised pedestal!!! Broke enough that cant rethread it. Are these pedestals pressed in or cast in the block? Can the pedestal be replaced some how? This just keeps getting better and better!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4SFED Z
Take a drill and drill a hole big enough to get a screw driver in. Do the same to the other side.

Place a screwdriver in each hole and turn it to get it out. As you turn it, you may have to have someone pull on the top of it to apply pressure (if threads are stripped)

4SFED Z
I drilled out the center. tried an easy out. BIG mistake! IT broke the pedestal the sensor mounts in. Too mush to rethread. IS this made into the block or pressed in. Wow cant believe this. IF its made into the black what then? Weld???? Some sort of Super aluminum glue????????
Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is a helicoil an option? Sorry for your difficulties with this!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I drilled out the center. tried an easy out. BIG mistake! IT broke the pedestal the sensor mounts in. Too mush to rethread. IS this made into the block or pressed in. Wow cant believe this. IF its made into the black what then? Weld???? Some sort of Super aluminum glue????????
OK, just walk away from it now to collect your thoughts. The pedestal was probably already broken. As you said earlier, the whole sensor body was turning when you first tried to remove it.

Aluminum CAN be welded with the right equipment. Bill Curlee had the starter mounting area on his engine block successfully welded. Hopefully he will chime back in on this, and offer you some good advice.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

OK, just walk away from it now to collect your thoughts. The pedestal was probably already broken. As you said earlier, the whole sensor body was turning when you first tried to remove it.

Aluminum CAN be welded with the right equipment. Bill Curlee had the starter mounting area on his engine block successfully welded. Hopefully he will chime back in on this, and offer you some good advice.
Heli coil not an option. IT broke almost in half so one side is open almost.NO way to thread it. OK IM walking away. Might help this pit in my stomach. thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Just replace the valley cover with a new or used one. The part # 12577927.

Last edited by Eric D; 09-16-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eric D
Just replace the valley cover with a new or used one. The part # 12577927.
That would be great if it would work. THe valley cover does not hold the sensor the block does. Thanks anyway I wish it was that simple.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

That would be great if it would work. THe valley cover does not hold the sensor the block does. Thanks anyway I wish it was that simple.
You broke the block??
Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe an option?

http://aluminumrepair.com/land/index...FQLBKgodkQ0vhQ

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/video/ThreadRepair.html
Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmm, I should have read the thread a little more careful... Well, there is no reason why it couldn't be tig welded as a last resort.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmm, I should have read the thread a little more careful... Well, there is no reason why it couldn't be tig welded as a last resort.
Eric,
After looking at some pics, it appears the bosses for the KS are machined, or some type of secondary operation. Do you know if they are pressed in?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Eric,
After looking at some pics, it appears the bosses for the KS are machined, or some type of secondary operation. Do you know if they are pressed in?
I don't think they are pressed in, and it might not help the original poster soon enough, but I can find out for sure next Monday. I know that LS3 and other later blocks it is a machined surface on the side of the block. I expect it is on the LS1 too. Knock sensors really need a solid mounting for proper frequency band width.

If it broke a chunk out from the mounting boss and it was my engine, I'd tig weld the area back up. It really isn't that hard to do and with the tig the heat could be kept very localized.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

I don't think they are pressed in, and it might not help the original poster soon enough, but I can find out for sure next Monday. I know that LS3 and other later blocks it is a machined surface on the side of the block. I expect it is on the LS1 too. Knock sensors really need a solid mounting for proper frequency band width.

If it broke a chunk out from the mounting boss and it was my engine, I'd tig weld the area back up. It really isn't that hard to do and with the tig the heat could be kept very localized.
I got the SEnsor to catch some threads and maybe got it close to 8-10 lbs torque no more. Not sure what you are talking about when you talk about band width. After I got the car back together my check engine light was still on and did not go out after about a minute idle.Codes indicated a history not current code. I deleted the code and will see if it reapears after the car is driven SAT. I hope because the sensor does not have all its threads the light stays out. IF it comes back on Its time to tig weld and rethread. Thanks all for help.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Speedway1
Instructor

IF you can find out if it is pressed in that would be helpful. IF it is maybe it can be replaced somehow. THanks

Get notified of new replies

To Knock sensor wont come out!! Help!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I got the SEnsor to catch some threads and maybe got it close to 8-10 lbs torque no more. Not sure what you are talking about when you talk about band width. After I got the car back together my check engine light was still on and did not go out after about a minute idle.Codes indicated a history not current code. I deleted the code and will see if it reapears after the car is driven SAT. I hope because the sensor does not have all its threads the light stays out. IF it comes back on Its time to tig weld and rethread. Thanks all for help.
You maybe ok. Glad to hear you got it back together.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The mounting boss is part of the block.

YES,, it can be TIG WELDED!!! You will use 4340 Tig rod and a high frequency Tig welder. It will need to be welded at 200-240 amps as my starter boss needed 180-190 amps AC. My buddy Charlie just happened to have the very welder that I needed!!

After looking back,,Its really NOT a complicated process. The right tools and skills and it will be as good as new

REMEMBER!! Anytime you weld on a car... DISCONNECT the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Old 09-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The mounting boss is part of the block.

YES,, it can be TIG WELDED!!! You will use 4340 Tig rod and a high frequency Tig welder. It will need to be welded at 200-240 amps as my starter boss needed 180-190 amps AC.

REMEMBER!! Anytime you weld on a car... DISCONNECT the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
There are only two welders I would consider to repair a LS block. They are the Miller Dynasty or the Miller Aerowave. Both are designed with aluminum alloys in mind. A very skilled welder can use other machines, like the syncrowave, but someone like me that can weld but doesn't do it enough to be super at it, can fake my way by using a better unit to weld with. The frequency that Bill spoke of controls the arc cone size. The higher the frequency to tighter the arc cone keeping the heat area smaller. As Bill suggested you want to disconnect the battery and ground the welder as close to the weld location as possible.

With some luck the partial thread attachment will work with the OP knock sensor and no welding will be needed.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor wont come out!! Help!!!!