C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help fixing 99 c5 frc

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
douwannarace
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help fixing 99 c5 frc

I have a 99 frc that has a vortech on it. I was driving down the interstate just cruisin around 75 and the car died on me. I tried cranking it and nothing it just spins over and over but never fires. I turn the key to the on position and press the test port on the fuel rail and I get nothing not a drop of gas. I replaced the fuel filter and still nothing just turns over and over without firing. To note the old fuel filter was so clogged I couldnt blow through it. I pressed the test port again with the key on and I got a few drops of gas but no pressure. I even pressed it while cranking the car and no pressure. Just wondering but do you think I have a bad fuel pump? It has a MSD boost a pump on it also. Anything small I can check for or an easy way to tell if my fuel pump is bad. I get this really loud noise the first 5 seconds I have the key in the on position but it sounds like its coming from under the hood. The loud noise also goes away when I used to drive the car after about 30 seconds. Any help?? Please!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Have you put gas in? It's possible you ran out on the driver's tank because the right tank was not transferring fuel over into it. Do NOT assume that just because your fuel gauge says you have gas that you do. Fuel sitting inside the right tank does no good if it never gets transferred to the left tank, since it's the left tank (and the left tank ONLY) that directly feeds the engine.

HTH
Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 PM
douwannarace
Heel & Toe

It died about 8 miles after I filled it up all the way and was going to get a haircut ha.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by douwannarace
It died about 8 miles after I filled it up all the way and was going to get a haircut ha.
Might want to check with the gas station to see if they have had any other complains. Might have gotten water laced gas or worse.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Hmm, possible fuel pump failure maybe. Do you hear it in the rear for 2 seconds each time you turn the key on?, or...........

Does your MSD have it's own fuse in it's wiring harness?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Eric D
Might want to check with the gas station to see if they have had any other complains. Might have gotten water laced gas or worse.
I was thinking the same thing except he says he has no fuel pressure at the rail. Even water will get pumped forward.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I was thinking the same thing except he says he has no fuel pressure at the rail. Even water will get pumped forward.
If it is water mixed fuel there is normally a LOT of fine partials that go with it. That’s why I mentioned or “worse”. The pickup tube has a small screen on it, if plugged there will be no fuel forward. Or, it could be a bad pump, no power to the pump. Etc.. I would still give a call to the gas station. If they are the cause it is on their dime to fix it.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Eric D
If it is water mixed fuel there is normally a LOT of fine partials that go with it. That’s why I mentioned or “worse”. The pickup tube has a small screen on it, if plugged there will be no fuel forward. Or, it could be a bad pump, no power to the pump. Etc.. I would still give a call to the gas station. If they are the cause it is on their dime to fix it.

Easiest way to check fuel is disconnect supply hose at the tank and let a little of it gravity-drain into a clear container. Water will stratify into a layer pretty quick.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a 99 frc that has a vortech on it. I was driving down the interstate just cruisin around 75 and the car died on me. I tried cranking it and nothing it just spins over and over but never fires. I turn the key to the on position and press the test port on the fuel rail and I get nothing not a drop of gas. I replaced the fuel filter and still nothing just turns over and over without firing. To note the old fuel filter was so clogged I couldnt blow through it. I pressed the test port again with the key on and I got a few drops of gas but no pressure. I even pressed it while cranking the car and no pressure. Just wondering but do you think I have a bad fuel pump? It has a MSD boost a pump on it also. Anything small I can check for or an easy way to tell if my fuel pump is bad. I get this really loud noise the first 5 seconds I have the key in the on position but it sounds like its coming from under the hood. The loud noise also goes away when I used to drive the car after about 30 seconds. Any help?? Please!!!
Many possibilities but the under hood relay is the easiest thing to check. I would look at that first and go from there. You can jumper the relay and see if the pump comes on. Here are a couple of posts that describe how.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...fuel-pump.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...pump-help.html
Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM
douwannarace
Heel & Toe

I hear something when I turn the key for a few seconds that comes on but its from underneath the hood. Now I bought this car used so I dont know every little thing that has been done to it. It makes the horrible wine but lower pitch everytime I turn the key just like a fuel pump. The location is all the way to the drivers side and right in front of the windshield. There is like a big open area by the finder and its down in there. I see something that says vortech and looks to have a hose running to it. What ever it is is connected to the fuel pump because when I take the fuel pump relay out I dont hear the noise anymore. If anyone knows what this is let me know. This is an old Vortech setup with the supercharger on the drivers side and its a V-2 T. I just found out it is a water tank to cool the water down faster I guess. For some reason it seems to be ran off the same relay as my fuel pump. I dont hear a fuel pump when I turn my key all I hear is that loud water cooler. Is there any other easy ways to check and see if a fuel pump is bad besides the ear thing that other pump is loud and connected in with the fuel pump. Oh and yes the MSD boost a pump has its on relay and a fuse built into the line.

I think its code time cause I have a few and maybe some of the the gurus in here can help me here is my list its long wow and I just reset the thing a few days ago.
PCM: 1518 1638
BCM: 0432 0502 0503 0507 0508 2587 2588 2592 2593
I had no PCM codes and nowhere that many BCM when the car died on the interstate. Anybody thats a master at wiring I think I need some major help lol.

Last edited by douwannarace; 12-14-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 AM
douwannarace
Heel & Toe

Has anyone ever had your column lock bypass fail on them? I have one of those and was wondering if that was possible for the reason there is no fuel?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 PM
douwannarace
Heel & Toe

I found out what was wrong. My boost a pump has a fuse in it I found that was burnt. Put a whole new setup and fuse in there and the car runs again. Thanks for the help
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I found out what was wrong. My boost a pump has a fuse in it I found that was burnt. Put a whole new setup and fuse in there and the car runs again. Thanks for the help
Not uncommon for a plugged filter to cause the pump to go out. It is working way harder than it should to push fuel through the blockage. Maybe why your fuse blew. Worked on a friends car and ended up replacing the pump very shortly after the same symptoms you have had. Just an FYI

Get notified of new replies

To help fixing 99 c5 frc

Quick Reply: help fixing 99 c5 frc