C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM be removed?

I bought a '99 Z51 Coupe with low miles a couple of years ago and have been trying to keep it all running and in stock condition. I did want to switch from run flats to BFG g-Forces and replace the TPMS at that time. Now my Active Handling System keeps engaging and telling me to "Service Active Handling Soon" along with error codes C1286 & C1287 but when I ordered the part - no one has it because it's DISCONTINUED BY GM!

Since that was an option - can it be removed along with all of the DIC codes that go with it? I read where I can simply unplug the steering wheel position sensor that GM discontinued making, but then I would have DTC codes indicating that problem... Correct?

I would like to just replace the steering wheel position sensor and be done with it but if that's no longer an option for whatever reason...?? What's the next best solution without a truckload of new error codes?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe its just me but I don't understand when you "went to order THE PART" -- What part are you talking about? The steering wheel sensor? TPMS? what?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar
Maybe its just me but I don't understand when you "went to order THE PART" -- What part are you talking about? The steering wheel sensor? TPMS? what?
I also was unaware that the position sensor is unavailable (the EBCM can be another story). Seems like I have seen recent posts of members replacing them.

EDIT: I saw you post in another thread that the 1999 – 2000 sensor has been discontinued. Interesting. Where have you looked?

Last edited by 87SAM; 03-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

You may want to make an inquiry with these guys, they can probably repair your EBCM etc..

http://absfixer.com/
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave_2003_TRZ06
You may want to make an inquiry with these guys, they can probably repair your EBCM etc..

http://absfixer.com/
They will not fix this EBCM as they only repair 2001 and up modules and also not these codes.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

Sorry for the confusion... THE PART is the Steering Wheel Position Sensor for a 1999 Corvette. GM must have just recently discontinued this because I had been planning some work when taxes arrived and ordered several things at that time and after receiving everything but it and my order still said processing, I asked GMPartsDirect what was up and they said it was discontinued by GM and gave me a refund. Looking online I saw it at a few more places so I called them and got the same story.

Then I went ahead and called several local Chevrolet dealerships and talked to their parts dept and THEY GAVE THE SAME STORY, TOO!! I wrote Gene here at GMPartshouse.com but haven't heard anything but anticipate the same results! Very frustrating that they would do that on what you would think to be an important part - steering and Active Handling related and all...??
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Well that sucks!

Have you checked the alignment? When the front wheels are straight ahead, is your steering wheel centered?

Last edited by 87SAM; 03-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It getting that the only way to fix the ABS/AH on early cars is to upgrade to the parts from a later model. It can be done, but it likely wouldn't be very easy. It's likely either changing a bunch of the car harnesses and the involved modules or a lot of cutting and splicing and the involved modules.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW!

I keep hearing that the SWPS is discontinued and didnt want to believe it. Hopefully the aftermarket steps up!

I DONT BELIEVE the C6 SWPS can be adapted and thats a shame..

Has anyone tried Advance, Autozone or Napa??

BC
Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Autozone shows one for a 2000 at $250.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=910227_0_0_
Old 03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

They also has this one that looks more like the one thats in there.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=904618_0_0_

Remember you have to get the correct one. Non AH or Active Handling
Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Contact Marc at vettenuts.com (marc@vettenuts.net), he might be able to help you out with a used sensor.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=8VETTE7;1580365694]GM certainly is making it more impossible to own and continue to drive the early year C5's.....
QUOTE]

Much the same as Harley Davidson. They like to brag about the heritage and history...much like GM does with Corvette. But when it comes down to it there is absolutely no factory support for older product. They just want to sell new ones.

Aftermarket is fine for simple things like old motorcycles and the early generation Vettes. But these things are so loaded with complex electronics (made in Mexico BTW) that it is scary to think where they are headed.

I know that typically car manufacturers stop suporting with parts around 10yo. But a Corvette isn't like a typical sedan or pickup truck that gets used and tossed in the recycle bin. You would think GM would appreaciate the stong base of Corvette owners and help them maintain them. But like I said, the money is made selling new ones.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=fendermender;1580367814]
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
GM certainly is making it more impossible to own and continue to drive the early year C5's.....
QUOTE]

Much the same as Harley Davidson. They like to brag about the heritage and history...much like GM does with Corvette. But when it comes down to it there is absolutely no factory support for older product. They just want to sell new ones.

Aftermarket is fine for simple things like old motorcycles and the early generation Vettes. But these things are so loaded with complex electronics (made in Mexico BTW) that it is scary to think where they are headed.

I know that typically car manufacturers stop suporting with parts around 10yo. But a Corvette isn't like a typical sedan or pickup truck that gets used and tossed in the recycle bin. You would think GM would appreaciate the stong base of Corvette owners and help them maintain them. But like I said, the money is made selling new ones.

They don't care and if a supplier to GM does not want to make it anymore then GM is stuck.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Get ready to this this more and more. Mechanically cars can be repaired but when the electronics die the car will become a boat anchor.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Autozone shows one for a 2000 at $250.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=910227_0_0_
also fits 1999
Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
They also has this one that looks more like the one thats in there.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=904618_0_0_

Remember you have to get the correct one. Non AH or Active Handling
Bill, I've tried contacting every auto parts resourse under the sun since I called you that day... From your suggestion at GM PartsHouse.com to Manny, Moe and Jack down at Pep Boys... East Coast to West Coast Corvettes, local Chevrolet dealers, nationwide Corvette junk yards, Corvette Parts Worldwide, eBay, Auto Zone, Eklers, Mid America to the MID-LIFE CRISIS HOTLINE for the MENTALLY ILL...

Same story with no work around solutions... DISCONTINUED!!

"That thar's a real pickle yer in, young feller..."

"GEE!! Thanks! I hadn't noticed - I've been on the PHONE - WRITING EMAILS... 24/7 LATELY?!"

Now... I just joined the Chevrolet Owner's Group and registered my 1999 Corvette directly with Mr. Goodwrench and just sent them THIS heartfelt letter to amuse one of us... I hope they shed a steering wheel position sensor sized tear at least!! LOL

I have a 1999 Corvette Z51 Coupe that is having issues with the Active Handling System.

I recieve DIC Messages that state: "Service Active Handling Soon" and "Service Vehicle Soon".

The DTC Error Codes that come up are C1286 & C1287 which both indicate that my Steering Wheel Position Sensor may need to be replaced as soon as possible.

I am running new BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S, the alignment has been checked, the steering wheel's position is correct and the vehicle tracks straight and has no pulling tendencies whatsoever.

By all indications - I need to replace my STEERING WHEEL POSITION SENSOR.

This part has been DISCONTINUED and is no longer available from any of the dozens of online parts resources that I've ordered and paid for it at, from any of my local Chevrolet dealerships that have been searching for it on my behalf nor from any of the many Corvette Salvage Yards that I have checked in with as well...

I am at a total loss... My beautiful Coupe, which is my daily driver and my main source of transportation to and from work... Is now a hazard to drive and unrepairable.

I can not begin to tell you the feelings that are eating at me over this and no one can tell me what I'm supposed to do with my PRIDE and JOY now. It's too beautiful to take to the landfill and too sentimental to sell piece by piece as a junk yard parts mobile...

Please suggest my best plan for solving this depressing delema. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Can the ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM be removed?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

also fits 1999
haha... I should be so lucky!! Thanks just the same! I would have sent you both out to MickieDee's on me, if it would have been so easy and right down at the corner Auto Zone like that...

Besides being $250 cheaper than the real McCoys!! Can you believe it...??
1997-1998...... $80.
1999-2000......$350.
2001-2005+.....$80.

WTF?! hahaha...

"Hang in there, Lassie... Daddy's gonna find a cure for Cancer, Solve World Hunger, bring global peace and buy you that STEERING WHEEL POSITION SENSOR you need... Just you watch..."
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Ironman433
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WOW!

I keep hearing that the SWPS is discontinued and didnt want to believe it. Hopefully the aftermarket steps up!

I DONT BELIEVE the C6 SWPS can be adapted and thats a shame..

Has anyone tried Advance, Autozone or Napa??

BC
I can't even find the genuine GM Part number for it... Where can I look that up - any ideas? Call the dealer obviously but...??
Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

My parts manual shows PN 26058286 but does not differentiate between active and non-active handling.
Ebay shows a used one for $350!

Quick Reply: Can the ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM be removed?