C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bump steer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:36 PM
CookieMonster03
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump steer?

I'm looking to lower my 2003 Z51 about an inch. I love the way it handles, but i still get some bump steer when i hit some uneven pavement under heavy suspension load. Has anybody out there had any experience with bump steer issues with a lowered Z51? I'm also considering buying/fabricating a "bump steer it" like the one Zip's sells to help combat the issue. Any input?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My bump steer was 100% related to run flats. Are you running them. If so, dump em quick and get some real world class handling!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Have you measured the suspension for bump steer? Bump steer isn't the only cause of a car steering itself over bumps. With these cars, it's more likely you have a tire or alignment problem than an actual bump steer issue.

Not sure about you, but I personally want to confirm a problem before I try and fix it....

Last edited by lionelhutz; 04-09-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Have you measured the suspension for bump steer? Bump steer isn't the only cause of a car steering itself over bumps. With these cars, it's more likely you have a tire or alignment problem than an actual bump steer issue.

Not sure about you, but I personally want to confirm a problem before I try and fix it....

but here is Zips bump steer kits
http://corvette-parts.zip-corvette.c...20streer&year=

Especially effective for lowered cars, but beneficial for any C5 or C6 Corvette that has modified suspension geometry. Allows adjustment of tie rod-to-spindle attachment point to help eliminate "darting" that occurs when a loaded suspension reacts to road surface irregularities (seams, potholes, etc.). Allows for suspension to be "dialed-in" to maintain correct geometry throughout full range of suspension travel. Zip's bump steek kit includes a pair of rod end bearings, sleeves and hardened pins to replace outer tie rod ends. Fits all C5, C6 and Z06 Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To bump steer?

Quick Reply: bump steer?