C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fusing & the big three

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fusing & the big three

On the big three upgrade, the wire from the alternator to the battery. Since a short could occur anywhere along that length of wire an?d if the car is running there is a power source on each end (battery & alternator) shouldn't we fuse each end?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zorlac
On the big three upgrade, the wire from the alternator to the battery. Since a short could occur anywhere along that length of wire an?d if the car is running there is a power source on each end (battery & alternator) shouldn't we fuse each end?
What are you trying to say/ask here?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Shouldn't we fuse at the battery and the alternator?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Shouldn't we fuse at the battery and the alternator?
What are you trying to do? Still can't make sense out of the 1st post
Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

I'm doing the big three upgrade. My concern is the wire from the alternator to the battery. Should I fuse both ends in case it wears through and shorts to a ground?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

What is the BIG THREE UPGRADE?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Oh....A wire from the alternator to the positive battery post. A wire from the frame to negative battery post. A wire from motor to the frame.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Supposed to help with current and grounds.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Really, people are doing this-WOW. I've had corvettes for 25 years, never needed this silliness. Just keep what you have clean and tight, why add to the confusion?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Really, people are doing this-WOW. I've had corvettes for 25 years, never needed this silliness. Just keep what you have clean and tight, why add to the confusion?
why dont you go actually look this up before you get all crazy with the negativity. It is common knowledge that low voltage on these things can cause issues and there are countless posts on this site about how the big three can cause a substantial increase in voltage. Most people are saying .2-.5 increase in average voltage.

On fusing, all of the write ups on how to do this say that one fuse is good enough.

Last edited by baxsom; 04-20-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:37 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by baxsom
why dont you go actually look this up before you get all crazy with the negativity. It is common knowledge that low voltage on these things can cause issues and there are countless posts on this site about how the big three can cause a substantial increase in voltage. Most people are saying .2-.5 increase in average voltage.
OK, I have 2 degrees in Electrical Engineering-think I understand how ELECTRICITY WORKS. Why not 10 wires or 20? again-WOT.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Khaalathas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should try a degree in etiquette. Course alot of of peeps on these forums do seem to have giant epeens. overcompensation anyone?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

One fuse still concerns me. If it's fused at the battery and shorts the fuse pops and isolates the battery but 1 its paralleled with the factory wire which is still supplying positive to ground (the ground being a worn spot in the insulation touching something) & 2 if the car is running voltage from the alternator up the length of the wire to the blown fuse. Am I just overly paranoid?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

One fuse still concerns me. If it's fused at the battery and shorts the fuse pops and isolates the battery but 1 its paralleled with the factory wire which is still supplying positive to ground (the ground being a worn spot in the insulation touching something) & 2 if the car is running voltage from the alternator up the length of the wire to the blown fuse. Am I just overly paranoid?
Leave what you have alone. Works FINE, lasts a long time. What problem do you think your trying to fix anyway?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Leave what you have alone. Works FINE, lasts a long time. What problem do you think your trying to fix anyway?
Doug, if you follow ANY other car discussion sites, you'll find that people, in some instances, are having electrical issues that are potentially tracable to marginal current supplies. This "big three" is a well known modification, although I think the OP has his wires confused.

I seem to recall I read someplace where it's an increased gauge battery positive cable, negative cable, and alternator to starter wire....or something like that.

If for no other reason, it's a big deal with the "thumper stereo" crowd.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:36 PM
_r2h
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime you have a positive wire that has the potential to ground out, fuse it.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Doug, if you follow ANY other car discussion sites, you'll find that people, in some instances, are having electrical issues that are potentially tracable to marginal current supplies. This "big three" is a well known modification, although I think the OP has his wires confused.

I seem to recall I read someplace where it's an increased gauge battery positive cable, negative cable, and alternator to starter wire....or something like that.

If for no other reason, it's a big deal with the "thumper stereo" crowd.
Well I've had American cars all my life from all 3. 3 Corvettes-never had a problem. Add more wires and the next weakest link will melt, again-unless there is a GOOD reason to do this, DON'T do it.

Any aftermarket equipment that goes directly to Battery + will have it's own fuse to protect it or will want to connect to a fuse in the fuse block.

It sounds like he wants to add another wire from the alternator to the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Fusing & the big three

Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Funnone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The BIG 3 is a good upgrade and if done correctly, can help with providing the car with proper current. However,, you have to understand that many of the issues (electrical) that involve under-voltage are a result of a defective ignition switch.

Its a very common C5 issue and growing as time ticks by.

-C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

2) Use the following table to determine the maximum current for whatever wire gage is being used.

3) Take the maximum current value obtained from the table and find the largest fuse you can find that still falls within the limitations. DO NOT EXCEED THE VALUES ON THIS TABLE! Common automotive blade-style fuses exist at 5A-20A in 5A Increments. Ex: 5A,10A,15A,20A

Check out where GM puts there fuses in the main power circuits:

The starter is not fused on the main power wire from the battery to the solenoid but it is from the solenoid to the alternator:

I get my battery power from this point on the under hood fuse box. Its easy to get to and maintain.

If you are going to upgrade the power,, DO THE GROUNDS also! I added a ground wire to the case of the alternator directly to G-101.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-21-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 PM
_r2h
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that is a helpful post.

Quick Reply: Fusing & the big three