C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing memory, not mine, the cars...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 07:25 AM
nklemens
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing memory, not mine, the cars...

I have a 2000 Conv. This can happen in 8 hours or a week or 20 days.

The fobs (both) lose programming, display of hud resets to default etc.Radio has not lost it's station.

Battery volts before start is 11.8 and 13.8-14.2 on the road.

I thought it was my ipod drawing the car too low, but I took it out. The other day the fobs lost programming in 10 hours while at work. Sometimes a week, other 3 days. Is there a battery in the bcm that could be bad? Car has 39k miles.

Trip computer and fuel history stays. Reprogram and its back to normal until the next time.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,233 Likes on 2,310 Posts

If you're measuring battery voltage at the battery with a meter, that's too low. When you crank the car the voltage will drop below the minimum and cause your HUD to reset to default (oil pressure) and other things also. I'm afraid the problem on the 2000 fobs is the fobs themselves. It's a very common problem. If you search fob loses program, you'll be surprised by how many are 2000's. There's a thread titled legendary problem solved that explains how to solder which connections and has fixed some of the fobs. Others have not and had to be replaced, and the 2000 fobs have become very rare. Don't buy used or you'll be in the same shape as now. I'd try a good battery in the car first and then work on the fobs if you still have the problem.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Time for a new battery(if you do not have a draw)
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Have the battery professionally checked out and make sure that the CCA and Reserve capacity is SAT!

My guess,, like the above recommendations,, it s the battery.

BC
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Your symptoms match up very well with a battery issue. You can try checking battery connections to insure they are clean and tight (including the connection at the starter) and also try a battery tender style charger to fully charge the battery and see if that helps but I'm thinking battery. this time of year heat takes its toll on batterys.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:21 PM
nklemens
7th Gear

Battery did it. Haven't lost a memory since. The only strange thing was sitting for 20 minutes dead after the new battery was installed. Then finally it started. Something security related I guess.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by nklemens
Battery did it. Haven't lost a memory since. The only strange thing was sitting for 20 minutes dead after the new battery was installed. Then finally it started. Something security related I guess.
There is no security feature that would do that. You probably have a bad or loose connection.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 AM
nklemens
7th Gear

Default Security

Security flashed the whole time. The dash lit up. The starter would not engage and security flashed on the dash. The starter was immobilized. After 15 minutes I pulled the fuse for the bcm then 15 minutes later it started like normal.

My dad remembers having the same issue 7 years ago when the last battery was swapped.

Anyway, I am not concerned. In 6 years when I need a new one, I will be sitting in my driveway or a Chevy dealers lot. Just In Case. It was a long 30 minutes in an autozone parking lot hoping I would not need a tow.

Thanks for the reply. The great thing is all of my issues went away with the battery swap. The fobs always work, the heads up does not reset and all my settings stay.

It's almost time to put it away for the winter. i have been driving daily for the past two weeks. I will miss it for sure.

28 mpg for my 8 mile commute is pretty nice rather than 13 with my burb.

Get notified of new replies

To Losing memory, not mine, the cars...

Quick Reply: Losing memory, not mine, the cars...