C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM
1BACORVETTE
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Window Regulator question

I am a DYI kind of guy. My passenger side window reg stopped working and just clicks when you hit the switch. I purchased a new reg, but I have been lazy at getting to it. So today I tore into it. After disassembling the panel, I went to pull out the glass (which has been up all along), but you need to get the window down to get at the two bolts for glass removal. An old trick of tapping on the door panel at the motor mounting raised hump while the switch is activated sometimes sends the window down. Well, it did. The window went down just like a new one. Regulator works just fine. Up, down, up down. Can't make it stop working. Now I don't want to replace a perfectly good reg. I checked all wiring cleaned terminals, and it keeps going up and down, I wish the regulator was broken and making noise, that would be simple.

My question is.....has anybody gotten to this point and reassembled without replacing the reg and had problems? Most of you will say..."while it's apart just put the new one in...". Before I do, I wanted to pose the question. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
woodman300
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 1BACORVETTE
I am a DYI kind of guy. My passenger side window reg stopped working and just clicks when you hit the switch. I purchased a new reg, but I have been lazy at getting to it. So today I tore into it. After disassembling the panel, I went to pull out the glass (which has been up all along), but you need to get the window down to get at the two bolts for glass removal. An old trick of tapping on the door panel at the motor mounting raised hump while the switch is activated sometimes sends the window down. Well, it did. The window went down just like a new one. Regulator works just fine. Up, down, up down. Can't make it stop working. Now I don't want to replace a perfectly good reg. I checked all wiring cleaned terminals, and it keeps going up and down, I wish the regulator was broken and making noise, that would be simple.

My question is.....has anybody gotten to this point and reassembled without replacing the reg and had problems? Most of you will say..."while it's apart just put the new one in...". Before I do, I wanted to pose the question. Thanks for your thoughts.
if it was me, i would put it back together. i replaced a bad regulator on the driver side and even though it is an easy job, it took me a long time. my problem was adjusting the window upon re-assembly. it still isn't perfect. it may be because the reg i bought is not the gm one but a cheaper aftermarket one. the easiest part of the job is taking off the door panel. it takes less than 5 minutes. if the reg stops working again, then go ahead and replace it, but for now i would just put the new one away for later.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
1BACORVETTE
Instructor

Now that's exactly what I needed to hear....thanks Woodman. All I needed was a little encouragement...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,854 Likes on 1,806 Posts

It'll stop working again sooner or later. If you have the part and the time, replace it.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to hazard a guess, the problem is probably with the motor's brushes. A sharp strike will often reseat them well enough to work again for a while. They'll probably go again, but you bought yourself some time if you want it.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
1BACORVETTE
Instructor

That makes total sense, Tuscanycircle. The motor actually gets very hot when running the window up and down. So hot you can't hold your hand on it. That kind of confirms your prognosis. Does anyone know if you can rebuild just the motor on these units? I just finished rebuilding my juicer motor with a new stator. LOL. Not kidding. I rebuild everything I can. I hate controlled obsolescence. We have created a world where everyone has their own. Then when it breaks, we throw it in a landfill. I fight to eliminate as much as possible.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BACORVETTE
Does anyone know if you can rebuild just the motor on these units?
I opened my motor up when my regulator went bad, hoping to do what you suggest. In my case, the problem wasn't the motor, unfortunately. It's a simple setup and should be relatively straightforward to rebuild or refurbish if you can find or fabricate any needed parts. You pretty much have to remove the entire system, though, which means you're stuck having to align everything just right when reinstalling. (Mark the alignment before removal, and you'll save a little time later.)
Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Since there are no limit switches to turn the motor off, it just runs up against the stops until it stalls, which tends to put the drive gears in a bind.
I started bumping my window down just a fraction of an inch, just enough to unload the drive gears...and I have not had a window stick again.
If you hit the down and up buttons quickly, the glass will only drop about 1/16 of an inch, so it still seals.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 PM
PNG2005
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 87 driver's side window that will not go up or down. The regulator is running fine. Is there any linkage that might have broke or become disconeccted? I have the door panal off but I still cant see or reach anything inside. Not sure if there are any other panels I would have to remove to get access to the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Regulator question

Quick Reply: Window Regulator question