C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowl drain udders

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Cowl drain udders

Well I had read a number of windshield wiper motor threads and the general recommendation was to make sure the drain udders on the driver’s side under the cowl were not clogged. Always made a mental note to check mine but never seemed to get around to it and not having a wiper problem it never became a priority either. Today I just happen to be cleaning leaves out of the cowl area and by chance decided to at least check them out. Wow, both were solidly clogged and filled with water. Thanks goodness the water had not yet backed up to the level of the cowl and the wiper motor. So the moral of the story is don’t put it off and make it a regular routine maintenance item. It is easy to do and could save you not only some money but the aggravation of dealing with non working wipers or ones that won’t shut off. Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
WetMountainMan (02-22-2018)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Don't forget the passenger side. You have to pull the battery.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

And DO NOT pull the passengers side OUT. Just disconnect it and use a garden Hose to FORCE the crap out. The tube is like 20 feet long and a bitch to get it back in right!

Ive seen one of these on a late night horror show where it comes out of the dark and eats things!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
Pounder (12-30-2016), WetMountainMan (02-22-2018)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
Don't forget the passenger side. You have to pull the battery.
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
And DO NOT pull the passengers side OUT. Just disconnect it and use a garden Hose to FORCE the crap out. The tube is like 20 feet long and a bitch to get it back in right!

Ive seen one of these on a late night horror show where it comes out of the dark and eats things!!!

Thanks guys. I will be pulling the battery this weekend to put an acid absorbing mat under the battery just as a safeguard, and was going to clean out that udder as well. I did not realize it was extended like that so thanks for the tip. And yeah I have killed things that look like that in by yard here in Florida.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

You can also get to the passenger side udder by removing the right front wheel and the plate at the rear of the wheel well. It's your call.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Further, by adding the acid mat you will not eliminate the problem as the acid flows down the battery cable to the computer located below. You will not see the damage until it is all over. Use a gel battery like a Optima and you eliminate the problem completely.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

THANKS!!! I read this post and quit watching a boring football game, went out to the garage and cleaned the driver side udders. They were FILTHY! Tomorrow I'll flush the passenger's side like Bill Curlee recommends. I really appreciate the timely advice.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:37 AM
jcorina
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Well I had read a number of windshield wiper motor threads and the general recommendation was to make sure the drain udders on the driver’s side under the cowl were not clogged. Always made a mental note to check mine but never seemed to get around to it and not having a wiper problem it never became a priority either. Today I just happen to be cleaning leaves out of the cowl area and by chance decided to at least check them out. Wow, both were solidly clogged and filled with water. Thanks goodness the water had not yet backed up to the level of the cowl and the wiper motor. So the moral of the story is don’t put it off and make it a regular routine maintenance item. It is easy to do and could save you not only some money but the aggravation of dealing with non working wipers or ones that won’t shut off. Just a thought.
Just wondering...you said "both", but I have 3 of them (C5). In my case it was the (driver's side) one further back that was clogged. Wow, talk about nasty! Beyond description what fills those udders.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES,,, there are THREE udders on the drivers side. Just a reminder, you can easily POP them in and out.

You can see the tip2 of front two in this picture:

Here is what came out of mine and it STINKS!

This shot shows you how far back the third one is:

BC
Old 01-02-2017, 09:24 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

When I cleaned mine there were peanuts in them
Old 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you live near a circus?
Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Lol. I cleaned them shortly after I purchased the car I don't k ow how they got there
Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM
foamypirate
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info! I was unaware of the 3rd udder on the driver side, and completely oblivious to the one on the passenger side as well. Guess I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:49 PM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

My FRC flooded the day after I brought it home, found a nest in the cowl and all of the udders with FILLED

so never underestimate what can get stuck in there!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:43 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Found water on driver side after rain. Thought it had to have some thing to do with rain drains. Had similar issues with other cars I've owned. Had no clue where these are on my c5. Searched all over with no success. Thanks to everyone on this forum I found out where to look. Found the so called rain utters including the passenger side. The drivers side were all completely clogged up with what looked like damp mud. These had to be the cause of the water on the driver side floor. I was going to check passenger side but could not find my 8mm wrench to detach battery cables. My 8mm socket was too big to get into the space. Instead I removed the battery hold down and was able to move the battery aside enough to get my hand in there to remove this udder. It had some mud in there too but nowhere near the amount in all 3 driver side utters. Looking forward to a dry driver side carpet next time it rains.
Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by mwestc5; 02-22-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 AM
RagTopLovr
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cowl vent trash

Cleaned the cowl drain udders today, thanks to all the excellent posts on the forum

When I started to put them back I stuck my finger up into the cowl area thru thru the opening, seems to be a lot of junk in the cavity that needs to be flushed out befoare putting the drain hoses back or else they are going to star s filling with the leaves & trash that is in the cavity.

I’m going to try flushing it out with the garden hose before I put the drains back on.

Could I be exposing the wiper motor or anything else to damage by doing this with noa drain hose in place.
Ragtoplovr
Old 05-28-2018, 10:16 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

I snipped the nips off my udders 😀
They don't get clogged now.

Get notified of new replies

To Cowl drain udders

Old 05-28-2018, 10:32 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
I snipped the nips off my udders 😀
They don't get clogged now.
Did my snip a few years ago...was a good idea here in South Florida.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RagTopLovr
Cleaned the cowl drain udders today, thanks to all the excellent posts on the forum

When I started to put them back I stuck my finger up into the cowl area thru thru the opening, seems to be a lot of junk in the cavity that needs to be flushed out befoare putting the drain hoses back or else they are going to star s filling with the leaves & trash that is in the cavity.

I’m going to try flushing it out with the garden hose before I put the drains back on.

Could I be exposing the wiper motor or anything else to damage by doing this with noa drain hose in place.
Ragtoplovr
I would pop the udders off and ALSO pull the cowl cover off and inspect the drain well. If there's lots of CRUD, pull it out or flush it through the udderless holes in the floor of the well. You must get the CRUD out for the udders to drain properly.

I keep the udders OEM and just check them often.

BC
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for those that posted this!
Scott

Quick Reply: Cowl drain udders